Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MassIVe daily driver
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jake Raby
Here ya go.....check out this link to see my newest daily driver engine...... Runs cooler than stock and made 210BHP with full exhaust and through the fan belt. Removed the belt for 239BHP, and all before 6K RPM.

Its the "Intimidator" and would match well to 914 gearing, already did the match.....

Once again, daily driver on pump gas @ 10.3:1
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=56342

any questions????LOL
Andyrew
Wow, those are very nice numbers!! ohmy.gif

Ya know, if you want, I could send you my engine and you could just play with it wink.gif. Hehe, if only I could afford it!

Andrew
ChrisReale
That is raw clap56.gif
Britain Smith
Nice Jake...good work.

Also, that is a awesome looking fan shroud...is that the one that I sent you? I still have not gotten my new one from Sharpbuilt yet.

I notice that you are using the stock oil cooler location with that shroud, do you get enough air back up to the cooler to be adequate? I also saw the two oil lines running off to the side...do these go to a dry sump system or just and external oil cooler? I had planned on running an external cooler with a fan, but I would like to get some more info on your set-up.

-Britain
reverie
I've read in a Gene Berg catalog that if you multiply the compression ratio by 13, that will give you the octane of the gasoline needed for the engine. For example, if you have a compression ratio of 7.0:1, you'll need to use 91 octane gasoline.

Their catalog says that if you run a high compression ratio on today's pump gas, the engine will overheat.. valves, studs, etc. So how does a high-comp (10.3:1) engine run cooler than stock?

Thanks in advance.. smile.gif
redshift
So, 10:1 needs 130?

Awesome!

M
Jake Raby
Bergs chart is ridiculous. It does not take into account cam specs or dynamic compression ratio. Bergs calculations are only good if the engine NEVER RUNS!

This engine with 10.3:1 WILL NOT detonate (My dyno is equipped with a safeguard individual cylinder knock sensing systemand the light never came on)

The combination is everything. Low CR is the WORST thing you can do to an engine.

FYI, theleast CR I have ran all year was 8.5:1 and that was a VW Bus engine.

ITS ALL IN THE COMBO!!

Britain, thats the shroud you sent me. I chose to use it because in my testing the oil cooler blister HELPED ITH COOLING THE HEADS and got rid of alot of the air that we found IS NOT NEEDED.

This is the last engine that will leave my shop with a 911 Shroud till mine is done in atleast a year. I have learned to really dislike them!
Britain Smith
That is what I thought you would say...about bleeding off the excess air. Do you think that it is benifical to direct that air over the stock oil cooler or to just let it vent out the back of the shroud?

Do those two oil lines on the front of your motor run to an external oil cooler, a dry sump, or just a filter?

-Britain
Britain Smith
Nevermind about the two oil lines...I looked at your picture closely and saw the external cooler and filter behind the engine. What oil pump unit do you use there off the cam?
Charles Deutsch
Beautiful! Well, I can't afford to buy the motor but how about a DVD of you dyno testing it? Jake, I'm going to buy some of the T-4 heads (42 x 36) that HeadFlowMasters is advertising in the October issue of Hot VWs ... what's the highest c/r I can have with these heads and using Webcam's 86a camshaft and 89 octane gas?
Jake Raby
try 9:1 and set up with super tight deck height......It will work well.

Britain, The engine uses my Full flow modifications with a TI oil pump and modified Oil galleys and pressure relief system.
anthony
How much shipped to my door? I'm guessing $8-9K.
Jake Raby
Engines like this are not my norm. This one took a year to assemble.
Starting at 14K.
Kevin@ojai.net
How about a link for those of us who don't have user id / pw for STF?

-Kevin
Jake Raby
try this one

http://www.spyderclub.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=4729

thats my other forum at the 550 Spyderclub.
Brad Roberts
I understand that fan/shroud setup doesnt cool very well. but the overall "cool" factor in the looks department cannot be beat.

I'm sorry to say it.. but the VW style one just doesnt do anything for me.. at that point I would just build a type 1 engine.

Very impressive numbers. I have always felt 200hp was possible from 2.0 liters.

B
Brad Roberts
Oh.. you didnt tell us what CC you ended up with. Did it take 2300+ ??

B
Brad Roberts
Do you think 100hp per liter is obtainable and streetable without a power adder ??

B
Jake Raby
Brad, its a 2739cc

Wait till you see my DTM shroud in Carbon Fiber and Aluminized fiberglass. Amazing!

ALL that counts to me is cool running and a killer powerband. Looks come easy. The Porsche style does nothing for me. This is the last one you'll see leaving my shop for atleast a year. It simply does not work as well as the DTM. Got the graphs to prove it. Nothing like testing!

Our limiting factor now is heads......I'm working on that.
Brad Roberts
Damn.. 2739. That is BIG. I recall "rumors" of 3.0 type 4's back in the day but never found anyone that lasted beyond the dyno pulls.

Hopefully you can come up with a head that flows better on the exhaust side.

Keep up the good work. You cannot beat dyno time.

B
Jake Raby
my "Project X "engine is 90+mm stroke and 111.5+mm bore
Do the math.

Daily driver. Probably using Twin plug 964C2 heads. My cam will only be a blank used to drive the oil pump.

Projected performance is whats on my avatar. thats 480 Horse.

BTW, installed into a 64 beetle with a 915 tranny!
Brad Roberts
Hum..intresting concept. I like it. I would think you could actually cut the front off the cam and only use the double thrust bearing setup and not have to turn a whole blank. Weld up the cam oil feed holes on the journals not being used.

Sold. Make it happen. I can sell them.

I have seen one pic of engine like this on a UK site. not sure how it ran.

B
Jake Raby
I'm looking for 4 heads now and some old cams for mock up cams. Know of any?? The heads will need extensive work anyway.
Brad Roberts
I dont have any 964 heads..(why not use 993 heads ??) they have bigger ports and bigger valves stock compared to the 964 stuff.

I can get you four heads. I can buy rebuildable cores from Jerry Woods. I personally only have 3.2 heads right now.. but they are not twin plug like the 964 and 993.

B
Jake Raby
I have an awesome twin plug ignition system already perfected using Electromotive parts....I have no experience with 911 engines newer than a 2.7!!!!!!!! HELP!
Scott Carlberg
Wouldn't Porsche's one & only 4cyl, 3.0 liter engine be the last of the 944 engines?

I know, I know, the 944 engine won't fit, nor is it a type IV. whateva fighting19.gif
siverson
Don't all the 993 heads have hydraulic lifters, whereas 964 are solid?

-Steve
Brad Roberts
Correct.. which is why I would want to use them in a new setup like this.

B
Ferg
Mommy, that man's 4 cycl scares me! unsure.gif

Awsome job smilie_pokal.gif
Jake Raby
No Hydros for me! Nothing I hate worse.

Thanks guys!!!
Brad Roberts
These work well up until 7500 RPM. I havent heard of a reported failure. Something to think about.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.