Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tranny Issues - Can't find first
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
TROJANMAN
First has never been a problem. In fact, in high school, i used to just sometimes skip to second and steal third, before taking home. chairfall.gif

But this weekend, first became a problem. The story goes as such:
I drove the car 5000 miles to what felt like the center of the earth in a small town called Lamar,CO. The place they show on the news every morning as the day's "hot spot" in the state. I proceeded to track the car on Satruday and Sunday. (BTW there is absolutlety no reason to EVER travel east of Denver. It all looks the same, and you can actually see the curvature of the earth.) biggrin.gif

First gear was fine all weekend, no problems. After my second to last run, it was gone. I say second to last, because i tracked the car one more time without first gear and without any problems. Every other gear is just fine. No problems shifting, or finding any other gear. I drove the car home without incident. (hit 118 on the speedo. and trust me NO ONE was around) We drained half the tranny oil at the track, and there was no metal to be found. I just can't find first gear. We checked the linkage, and everything seems to be moving ok, except when i am looking for first. all bushings appear to be in tact, and i am guessing if i had a problem with my firewall bushing, i would not be able to shift so smoothly to the other 4 gears (+reverse) that i am using. I did have some slight grind when finding third on the track, and maybe i was hitting first, but i sincerely doubt it. especially since my fist gear has always been tempramental. I only ever shift into first when i am at a complete stop, and i wait for it to pop in, before attempting to move forward. Plus, I didn't grind any other gears all weekend, just on the last run, and it was only, ever so slight. BTW, on the track, I only used 3,4, and 5. 1st and 2nd were only used at the starter.

Thanks in Advance smile.gif

(brant, care to add.....?)
So.Cal.914
If you are not making it to first base it could be your Prostate gland.

You did not mention wether you checked your clutch adjustment. If you did and the cable is fine also than it could be the sancro ring. If allowed to expand to much it won't mesh like normal. But double check your bushings and linkage.

smoke.gif
Ferg
5000 miles is alot in a weekend rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif

Describe what it feels like when you are trying to engage? How is Reverse? Are you able to shift into first "area" and it's just not there, or are you not even able to go against the spring and down...

Ferg
rhodyguy
is the linkage freeplay the same, side to side and front to rear, for each while 2nd and 3rd are engaged, respectively? the shifter handle may have slid a bit on the front shift rod.

k
Dr Evil
If you can shift into reverse then the shift fork is installed and it is not a shifter problem.

What sounds do you get when you try 1st?

From my own experiences:
-If your shift rod was binding a little on your engine mount bar then your synchro band would soon become shinny = bad.
- It is possible for your brake band stop and pillow block to come out of your synchro band (rare, but possible).

What you should do is take the tail cone off and check your 1st gear and related items.
Things to note:
-Index the shift fork rod so you can reinstal the fork inthe same position again (keeps your fork alignment nice so you dont have to pull the stack to readjust).
-Remove the fork, slider, and 1st gear.
-Take pics so we can see.
LvSteveH
Are you sure it's not operator error? If I recall first gear was rather elusive in Mike's car at Joe's BBQ. ph34r.gif

Oh, and you might want to check your linkage connections, particularly where the shifter connects to the shift rod. If it slipped during spirited driving, first may now be outside the range of motion of the shifter. You would typically have trouble with reverse too, as they are on the same plane, but it's worth checking based on your description.
TROJANMAN
front to rear, it does not move as far when trying to find first. side to side and every other gear is fine.
clutch is not out of adjustment, and the cable is good.
i can find the "area" (i think), but cannot go against the spring and down, it just wants to pop out. Every other gear is smooth.

TROJANMAN
QUOTE(LvSteveH @ May 22 2006, 09:25 AM) *

Are you sure it's not operator error? If I recall first gear was rather elusive in Mike's car at Joe's BBQ. ph34r.gif

That was second, smart ass. mad.gif someone put reverse where second is supposed to be on mike's car biggrin.gif

reverse is fine on my car. no problems there either. just no first. sad.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ May 22 2006, 08:55 AM) *

...BTW there is absolutlety no reason to EVER travel east of Denver. It all looks the same, and you can actually see the curvature of the earth.) biggrin.gif...

Heh, I can vouch for that! When I left the Navy (Charleston, SC) and drove home (Philomath, OR) in my VW, I took the middle of the USA. Kansas was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo yellowsleep[1].gif I swore that if I was from that area I would've re-enlisted -- and I couldn't stand the Navy! For a while it was just me and some older lady in a BMW, cruising at 80mph... yellowsleep[1].gif

As to your problem, are your cone screws snug? Sounds like you've covered everything else.
rhodyguy
not to be redundant, while reverse is engaged, does there seem to be alot of fore/aft freeplay. before you tear the trans apart... take a peek at the shift lever frnt rod connection point. you may even see a little "witness" line where it has slipped. then inspect the rear cup bushing at the rear shift rod.

k
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 22 2006, 09:24 AM) *

If you can shift into reverse then the shift fork is installed and it is not a shifter problem.
What sounds do you get when you try 1st?

From my own experiences:
-If your shift rod was binding a little on your engine mount bar then your synchro band would soon become shinny = bad.
- It is possible for your brake band stop and pillow block to come out of your synchro band (rare, but possible).

what sounds?
#$%&^@! (wait, that's the sound of me cursing) mad.gif biggrin.gif

I do not believe the shift rod is binding. (but where it would it be binding?) every other gear is quite smooth. and there was no chunks of anything in my gear oil.

why is the your second diagnosis so rare? that sounds more possible, if everything else is clean, doesn't it? idea.gif

kev,
no freeplay in reverse. rear cup bushing appears ok. i will check the front conncection tonight.

thanks everyone. this is great beer.gif
LvSteveH
Ok, we are done being nice. blink.gif

Loosen the shift rod at the shifter, put the trans in 2nd gear by hand, put the shift lever where you want 2nd to be (top and center) snug the nut down, and check your pattern. Repeat as needed until everything is right with the world again. Then tighten the adjuster nut fully.
rhodyguy
that helps loads(i think). wag is the shifter connection has slid on the front rod. mark where it rests now with a sharpey(sp) and move the shifter connection forward on the front rod. i hope for your sake that is all it is.

k
brant
I have a tiny bit to add..
I crawled under the car while greg was inside shifting.
the shift rod itself moved 1/2 inch less for 1st gear than it did for 3rd or 5th.

it is not moving far enough to engage first. It is not sloppy.. just won't move physically far enough

from inside the car, I could feel first... barely. the reason it is "popping" out of first is because it is only barely engaging... not enough to fully engage or stay in.

(by the way greg... do not try to use 1st at all, because if it pops out enough times... it will ruin the dog on 1st. = $400)

I checked bushings and cone screws.
there are only 2 things I think it could be=
1) not likely... something is physically blocking the shift lever from moving... doesn't seem likely since it goes into 3rd and 5th fully normal.
2) more likely... something inside the tranny is preventing the full range of motion. Likely a shift fork loosened up or else the brake band retainer broke or cracked enough to cause it to interfer with range of motion

greg
the brake band is what greg johnson diagnosed at the track when I talked to him.

but this thread is still great and useful.
someone may come up with the solution!

brant
2-OH!
Maybe someone has already suggested this as I did not read all the post completely...

Disconnect the shift rod from the transmission...Physically move the lever sticking out of the transmission and see if you can physically feel 5 gears and reverse...Or, you can remove the lever housing (now you need a new O-ring) and just move the forks to see if you can feel the gears...If you can, then the problem is in the linkage and not the transmission...Or Vice Versa...

2-OH!
Dr Evil
I would bet the break band and the pillow blocks are forcing the synchro band out so that it can not compress causing it to not engauge. It is rare because it doesnt happen often (duh). This doesnt mean it can't happen to you, just that you have particularly crappy luck wink.gif It could be worse if we are right. If you need parts, let me know as I have acess to new parts fro less than any other place that I have seen.

Sounds similar to what you say Greg said.

Time to take the tail cone off biggrin.gif

It is not all that bad.
TROJANMAN
Brant,

Would you describe the gear oil we drained as having a gold sheen? idea.gif

Thanks mike, for your time on the phone today beerchug.gif

MoveQik

av-943.gif
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(MW 914 @ May 23 2006, 11:43 AM) *

av-943.gif

Keep laughing AZ boy.
you're spending a whole lotta cash to mount a nice motor to a tired tranny. poke.gif
chairfall.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ May 23 2006, 12:47 PM) *

QUOTE(MW 914 @ May 23 2006, 11:43 AM) *

av-943.gif

Keep laughing AZ boy.
you're spending a whole lotta cash to mount a nice motor to a tired tranny. poke.gif
chairfall.gif

Don't stop there....I'm spending a lot of money to find out my tranny sucks, my brakes suck, my tires suck....the list will go on I'm sure. headbang.gif
LvSteveH
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ May 23 2006, 01:00 PM) *

av-943.gif thanks, i needed the laugh. This first gear thing has me a little down. sad.gif
RE: your tranny. you can ship to Dr. Evil for an affordable rebuild..........
BTW, you could have bought a prepared conversion for......oh wait, we've been down that road happy11.gif

I just got a six conversion with PMO's, NOS oil tank, fabulous PMS mount bar, etc for poke.gif less than Mike's motor, and it included a free car!
Dr. Roger
mine didn't go into first when the clutch did not fully disengage. clutch adjustment required with too much play.

also needed a readjustment of the front shift linkage.

i was pleasantly surprised to find that i could make my shifter pattern more to my liking. more rearward and to the left while still fully engaging the gears.

just had to throw my $.02 in. =-)
MoveQik
QUOTE(LvSteveH @ May 23 2006, 02:04 PM) *

QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ May 23 2006, 01:00 PM) *

av-943.gif thanks, i needed the laugh. This first gear thing has me a little down. sad.gif
RE: your tranny. you can ship to Dr. Evil for an affordable rebuild..........
BTW, you could have bought a prepared conversion for......oh wait, we've been down that road happy11.gif

I just got a six conversion with PMO's, NOS oil tank, fabulous PMS mount bar, etc for poke.gif less than Mike's motor, and it included a free car!

Hey Steve.... flipa.gif Oh yeah....to my good friend Greg, finger.gif
biggrin.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Enough of this prattle and uninformed speculation, most of which looks like the poster never read the question. Back to the problem! If you can't engage first gear with the linkage disconnected, drain the oil, lower the tranny a bit, and pull the cover. Sounds like something in the synchro came adrift. Might be a toasted slider, but it sounds more like it's in the gear. Report back, with pix. The Cap'n
TROJANMAN
So i drove the car again last night. Essentially, i was "assuming the postion"
I backed it in and out of the garage, and onto ramps. No problem whatsoever finding reverse, or shifting into second.
I plan on opening her up on saturday morn.
I will have a couple of spare tranny's available for picking parts from if necessary , and will report back with pics
I hope some of you are online saturday for help and encouragement. smile.gif

Thanks for all the feedback beerchug.gif
Dr Evil
Probably not Sat, but I can help you Sun (on line). Other than that, you have my # if you get stuck. Its fun scaring you about how to fix your tranny tongue.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ May 24 2006, 09:05 AM) *

I plan on opening her up on saturday morn.
IThanks for all the feedback beerchug.gif

Make sure Gimp is there with his WHITE LeMans Jacket on! Oh, and if you can get Clay Perrine to come up from Tejas, he's short enough to walk under the tranny without jackstands poke.gif
TROJANMAN
"But the Gimp's sleeping." sheeplove.gif
laugh.gif
brant
hey gang...
what is the update
must have been nice to have a guru right on scene with you.

my hotmail is down, someone update me

brant
TROJANMAN
Time to rebuild First. I'll have to get some pictures of what we found, but essentially, I need to replace the Syncro Band, Dogteeth, and Slider. All were worn pretty good.
I had the pleasure of having a man by the name of Grady Clay come over and assist in the tear down. He is an incredible assett to the Porsche community, and had some fantastic stories to share. At one time, he owned 38 porsches, 2 of which were 904's that he purchased for $6000 each, and later sold for much, much, much, more.
He currently owns 4 914-6's and a few others.

We disassembled my tranny from the tailcone, then took a look see at the insides of 3 other trannies (thanks steve). Gint got his shorts dirty sad.gif and Brian Munday showed up to his first CO event smile.gif

I'll post pics later. smile.gif
LvSteveH
But the question still remains...... why wouldn't it go into first? Inquiring minds want to know. driving.gif dead horse.gif driving.gif
TROJANMAN
because everything was worn.
when we played with the parts off of the car, we had a hard time engaging the slider onto the teeth due to the wear.
Dr Evil
Can't wait to see the internals of 1st gear.
Dr Evil
Oh sure, I can send you all of the parts prices, OR you can tell me what you need and save me a but load of work wink.gif

WHAT DO YOU NEED?
TROJANMAN
blink.gif
TROJANMAN
dry.gif
TROJANMAN
yawn.gif
SLITS
Did Ahandie take the second image?

tunez.gif "Grind me a pound" tunez.gif

majkos
AHhh the pictures are so blurry, it looks fine!!

Show the damages!!
Dr Evil
OK, the one side of the 1st gear slider is supposed to be flat....there is nothing for it to engauge to so no need for teeth. I wanted to see what i looked like together (synchro band bulge factor).

What condition were the brake band and blocks in?

So far you can use the typical; slider, teeth, synchro band....notice the groove in teh synchro band where the dog teeth wore in? Not exactly correct me thinks.
TROJANMAN
i plan on replacing the bands as well.

Dr Evil
Your parts are on their way beer.gif
TROJANMAN
This is the famous part of the day where GINT got his shorts dirty, and according to brian,
whined, A LOT laugh.gif
TROJANMAN
Brian Mundane really liking the fact that he moved to Brokeback Country
admiring Gint's Zambeziteenie
TROJANMAN
Myself and Dan(shelby/914) watching Gint fabricate a jackstand out of a 2x4
TROJANMAN
The happiest Gint ever looks biggrin.gif
TROJANMAN
Turns out I have a Pelican 911 neighbor. He was nice enough to show up with an ATV jack to help me raise my tranny. The jack worked better when we figured out we can't trun wrenches in the opposite direction at the same time.
TROJANMAN
Grady Clay, just before he shed blood. The tailcone was stuck, and grady lost some skin popping it off. Grady is a true Porsche Expert, and a really neat guy to talk to about cars
TROJANMAN
This is me thinking about how much i wish i owned a lift
LvSteveH
The good news is that with it all torn down for new parts you'll also get the linkage adjusted properly and it should all work great. poke.gif

Your old parts look like stromberg.gif but without a catastrophic failure, I can't see how first would just go away all together unless it was in the shifter throw.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.