Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Tranny Issues - Can't find first, I need help diagnosing please
TROJANMAN
post May 22 2006, 09:55 AM
Post #1

Looks nice in pictures.........

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,753
Region Association: None

First has never been a problem. In fact, in high school, i used to just sometimes skip to second and steal third, before taking home. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chairfall.gif)

But this weekend, first became a problem. The story goes as such:
I drove the car 5000 miles to what felt like the center of the earth in a small town called Lamar,CO. The place they show on the news every morning as the day's "hot spot" in the state. I proceeded to track the car on Satruday and Sunday. (BTW there is absolutlety no reason to EVER travel east of Denver. It all looks the same, and you can actually see the curvature of the earth.) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

First gear was fine all weekend, no problems. After my second to last run, it was gone. I say second to last, because i tracked the car one more time without first gear and without any problems. Every other gear is just fine. No problems shifting, or finding any other gear. I drove the car home without incident. (hit 118 on the speedo. and trust me NO ONE was around) We drained half the tranny oil at the track, and there was no metal to be found. I just can't find first gear. We checked the linkage, and everything seems to be moving ok, except when i am looking for first. all bushings appear to be in tact, and i am guessing if i had a problem with my firewall bushing, i would not be able to shift so smoothly to the other 4 gears (+reverse) that i am using. I did have some slight grind when finding third on the track, and maybe i was hitting first, but i sincerely doubt it. especially since my fist gear has always been tempramental. I only ever shift into first when i am at a complete stop, and i wait for it to pop in, before attempting to move forward. Plus, I didn't grind any other gears all weekend, just on the last run, and it was only, ever so slight. BTW, on the track, I only used 3,4, and 5. 1st and 2nd were only used at the starter.

Thanks in Advance (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

(brant, care to add.....?)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
TROJANMAN   Tranny Issues - Can't find first   May 22 2006, 09:55 AM
So.Cal.914   If you are not making it to first base it could be...   May 22 2006, 10:10 AM
Ferg   5000 miles is alot in a weekend :rolleyes: :D ...   May 22 2006, 10:16 AM
rhodyguy   is the linkage freeplay the same, side to side and...   May 22 2006, 10:18 AM
Dr Evil   If you can shift into reverse then the shift fork ...   May 22 2006, 10:24 AM
TROJANMAN  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 11:05 PM