Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what tool do i need?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rcrgrl
what tool do i need to remove the 3 bolts holding the fan on? they look like allans, or the cv bolts, but with more points. i was hoping to swing by the tool store on my way home, but not knowin the name or size it would be a very unfruitful trip.
anybody know what i'm talking about?
Mueller
same triple square used on your CV joints...8mm I think....
JeffBowlsby
Dont know about the bolts, but once the fan cage is off you will want one of these VW185 tools to take off the hub:
JeffBowlsby
It looks like this:

rcrgrl
none of those pics match. i think the triple square sounds right.
thanks guys!
eeyore
If you live near El Cajon, or Nat'l City, try Vee Parts. They usually have the triple square tool.
tat2dphreak
they should be triple square, same size as the CV bolts...

I replaced mine with allen head, just like I did the CVs too...
rcrgrl
QUOTE(Cloudbuster @ May 22 2006, 01:29 PM) *

If you live near El Cajon, or Nat'l City, try Vee Parts. They usually have the triple square tool.

damn i was just there this morning - shoulda thought of that
Joe Ricard
Used to love going down to Vee's Great place always got what you need for air cooled stuff.
There was also a place out in Santee mostly dune buggy stuff but pretty good machinist.
Dave_Darling
"M8 triple square". Known to Bug guys as "the CV joint socket". Because it's the same as is used on the CVs. (Note that some 914s used regular bolts on the fan, while others used the triple squares.)

You don't need the special VW tool; I used three great big fender washers. After you take the fan off the hub, you can run the fan bolts into the hub far enough to pinch the washers between the bolts and the case. Then give the bolts about a half-turn each, one by one, and the hub will pop right off. Have something handy to catch the woodruff key, though, because it's easy to lose track of when it pops out!

--DD
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 22 2006, 03:20 PM) *

"M8 triple square". Known to Bug guys as "the CV joint socket". Because it's the same as is used on the CVs. (Note that some 914s used regular bolts on the fan, while others used the triple squares.)

You don't need the special VW tool; I used three great big fender washers. After you take the fan off the hub, you can run the fan bolts into the hub far enough to pinch the washers between the bolts and the case. Then give the bolts about a half-turn each, one by one, and the hub will pop right off. Have something handy to catch the woodruff key, though, because it's easy to lose track of when it pops out!

--DD

Is there two types of impellers? I have only run into the type with the recessed

holes for the tripple square bolts, hex bolt would not fit in holes. Is that an early

impeller?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ May 22 2006, 03:30 PM) *

--DD

Is there two types of impellers? I have only run into the type with the recessed

holes for the tripple square bolts, hex bolt would not fit in holes. Is that an early

impeller?

word. early and late or 914 and bus....

i have the early also. allen cap screws tho smile.gif
WRX914
Torx can be found at Sears
Mueller
QUOTE(WRX914 @ May 22 2006, 04:24 PM) *

Torx can be found at Sears

those bolts are NOT Torx headbang.gif

people don't read all of the posts and this is how people get screwed up by misinformation !!!!!

Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ May 22 2006, 01:17 PM) *

if it has 6 points it's called a Torx.

There you go, entering BAD information into the archives. It is NOT a torx. Porsche, and probably almost everyone else, didn't use torx fasteners in the 1970s.
There are 2 different fasteners used to attach the fan to the hub on the T4 engine Some cars hace 8mm conventional machine screws, bolts, and some have 8mm bolts with triple square internal socket heads. The fans, BTW, are different as well. The Cap'n
So.Cal.914
Noticed that did ya. Can be aggrivating..
Cap'n Krusty

--DD

Old fashioned "church keys" work even better than washers, Dave. Of course, the young'uns don't know what those are ............... The Cap'n
Leo Imperial
This one - NOT a Torx
Dr. Roger
posts deleted. =-)

i hate being one of those mis-information people. LOL
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 22 2006, 04:38 PM) *

Old fashioned "church keys" work even better than washers, Dave.

True, but I had three fender washers lying around. I only had two church-keys, and one of them had plastic on one side and a magnet (and the metal clamping it on, very uneven!!) on the other. biggrin.gif

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.