Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What the heck?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
aveale
cant think this one through.

anyone know what could cause an orange film (consistency of the Orange Milk Shakes from McDonalds) on the inside of the oil filler cap, and lining the filling neck?

Thanx in advance.

T

Marlow
Lots of short trips can cause this. I don't know the exact science of it but it's something like this; the oil doesn't get hot enough to burn off the condensation, it foams up and ends up in your oil cap.

This happens in my truck since I only drive about 2 miles to work everyday.
drgchapman
Sounds like water to me. Condensate likely.
DonTraver
Yep, condensation, too many short trips. Change your oil more often than normal or take her out for a good drive.

It takes 10-15 miles for a engine to get up to full operating temp, then it will start gassing off the condensation.

Short trips will also increase carbon formation on pistons and cylinder heads, foul plugs, just not good for your engine, drive it more.

Don
Hammy
QUOTE(DonTraver @ May 23 2006, 06:44 AM) *

drive it more.

w00t.gif don't hear that every day
aveale
Perfect!!

I Love this place!
Joe Ricard
Yup drive it like you stole it.
I get this build up once in while.
After coming back from a track day the cap was spotlessly clean.
I guess 260 degree oil will burn off all the moisture.
yarin
If its a water pumper then I'd say bad headgasket or coolant leak into the oil somewhere.
jsteele22
QUOTE(DonTraver @ May 23 2006, 07:44 AM) *

Short trips will also increase carbon formation on pistons and cylinder heads, foul plugs, just not good for your engine, drive it more.

Don

Also, exhaust system doesn't warm up, resulting in condensation which leads to rust.
bd1308
I had the same occurance, but I drove more than 15 minutes per trip.

b
spunone
Yep my water cooled Forklift has the same problem so called repair man said blown head gasket NOT just from lack of use no real warm up time
JohnM
Could be bad PCV valve or kinked hose between PCV valve and intake plenum (moisture build-up is a sign of Crankcase not venting at all or enough). John
TimT
Its called spooge

removed by warming the engine more thoroughly
Joe Ricard
I got a better way of getting rid of excess spooge.
But usually driving does the trick
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.