Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to remove the engine lid mount bracket
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
terrymason
I just got this from restoration design:
IPB Image

What's the best way to remove the original? Only thing I can think of is a chisle / pry bar, and just beat the old one off. Any better recommendations?
RustyWa
Drill the spot welds out.
Mueller
QUOTE(terrymason @ May 23 2006, 08:05 PM) *

I just got this from restoration design:
IPB Image

What's the best way to remove the original? Only thing I can think of is a chisle / pry bar, and just beat the old one off. Any better recommendations?

you are scary blink.gif biggrin.gif

ditto on the drill and grind method....good chance that you'd screw up the firewall by beating on it.... smash.gif
bd1308
just let it rust out...

b
Eric_Shea
I don't recall if that's mounted on a double-walled portion or not. If not, take off the back pad and drill the spots from there. Use the holes to rosette weld the new one on. Reinstall the back pad and zoom-zoom.

If it is mounted on a double-walled portion then the only way would be to drill through the piece itself (which is about twice as thick). I would then drill a couple of holes in the new piece and rosette weld it. I think it comes out a little neater that way. For pure functionality you could weld around the edges as well... either way works as long as you get penetration.

You could also use a carbide cut-off wheel on a Dremel. Those little suckers rock and, they're small enough that they can be easily handled.

(Good one Britt lol3.gif)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.