Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: WTF is a "Tax Disc Holder" for?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ninefourteener
Ok..... I know someone is going to chime in here and make me feel completely stupid.... but I had to ask anyway.

I do eBay searches constantly on both the 914, the Mazda 3, and the WRX...... and I used to do them on the RSX as well...... People are selling "Tax Disc Holders" like they are going out of style. So much in fact, I almost bought one.

It certainly would help if I knew what the hell they were for.

Ok now.... someone make me feel dumber--LOL confused24.gif

--Matt
double-a
isn't the tax disc a british/euro thing? they're probably used for displaying proof that the vehicle taxes have been paid, but that's just a guess.

~a
fiid
In the UK they don't have the sticker thing on the license plate - they have a little round paper disc that is displayed in one corner of your windshield. Kind of similar to some states in the US where there are stickers for tax and inspection.

Also - the plate sticks to the car - so it's really pretty rare to actualy take a license plate off a car. You also never have to go to the DMV - all that stuff is handled by mail.

Different system... biggrin.gif
hcdmueller
The UK system of inspecting and registering an automobile worked way better than anything I have done in the states. Some people may disagree. It is very expensive over there. The taxes you pay for your vehicle go by engine size and a normal American car would pay the max taxes. A couple years ago I was paying 180GBP for the year IIRC. That was for a 2.0L Nissan. Everything you need to do registration and tax wise is done at the post office. Take the proper paperwork and money and you walk out with a shiny new Tax Disc for your car. Then you simply display on your windscreen as they like to call it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.