Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 5 Point Harness Installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Looking to install a 5 point harness in my car and I'm looking for pictures on how it's down while keeping the stock back pad.
Jenny
icon_bump.gif I'll be doing this in the very near future as well.

Jen
jhadler
With or without a harness bar? I'm using a harness bar, and the shoulder belts went it super easy.

Pics are in this thread.

-Josh2
jdogg
Unfortunately I don' thave any pics, but what I did was locate the anchor bolts in such a way that they were in the gap between the seat and the back pad. I used quick disconnect hardware to clip the shoulder harnesses to the O-ring anchor bolt. You had to be careful to align the harnesses when sliding the seat all the way back, but it still worked pretty good! Eventually the seats and backpad will take a beating from the harness hardware. Do you need your seat all the way back to drive? If not, you can probably locate them a little closer together so they won't rub the backpad....
Allan
I don't really want to use a harness bar. I would like to keep things looking as stock as possible.

As for the seat position, I keep it 2 - 3 inches forward of the back pad.
Allan
QUOTE(jhadler @ May 24 2006, 01:31 PM) *

With or without a harness bar?
Pics are in this thread.

-Josh2

Doesn't it limit rear visibility?
TROJANMAN
do a search allan.
i searched the other day (because i just got a harness bar), and Trekkor had some nice pics of his 5 point belt installation. smile.gif
jhadler
QUOTE(Headrage @ May 24 2006, 12:47 PM) *

I don't really want to use a harness bar. I would like to keep things looking as stock as possible.

As for the seat position, I keep it 2 - 3 inches forward of the back pad.

You want to keep it looking stock, but you're going to drill holes in the backpad to mount a harness???

I can pull out the harness bar in 10 minutes and the car will look (with respect to belts and backpad) as stock as when it was new.

-Josh2
jhadler
QUOTE(Headrage @ May 24 2006, 12:48 PM) *

QUOTE(jhadler @ May 24 2006, 01:31 PM) *

With or without a harness bar?
Pics are in this thread.

-Josh2

Doesn't it limit rear visibility?

Hardly even notice it... Really.

Plus, it's a really convinient location to mount a camera for autoxing... smile.gif

-Josh2
Allan
Plus, it's a really convinient location to mount a camera for autoxing... smile.gif

-Josh2
[/quote]

Never thought about that. I also didn't know you could swap it in and out that easily.

Got me thinking now... idea.gif
lapuwali
I've heard rumors to the effect that attaching the shoulder straps ONLY to a harness bar isn't legal with some racing clubs. Using the bar as a "lift" so they sit higher, and the straps are mounted to the rear firewall, is apparently allowed. If you're intended to do track days, I'd check the rules.

I'm fairly sure this is OK for AX with any club, however.

Joe Ricard
I agree with Josh (once again)
Harness bar is required. Otherwise how do you keep the belts from compressing your spine in the event of an accident. Halness belts should tend at least an inch higher than your shoulders.
Or the belt should NOT go up from it's mounting point to go over your shoulder.
There should also be some sort of method to keep the two shoulder straps close together so as not to allow your shoulders to pass inbetween the two straps.
jhadler
As with _any_ sanctioned motorsports. Check the rules. Som clubs will allow the harnesses to be mounted directly to the harness bar. Others will require that they be bolted to the firewall. In either event, if you're not using an FIA approved seat, especially if all you're using is a stock seat, you REALLY should be using a harness bar to guide the harnesses.

Joe is right about compression injuries. If the harness is pulling down on your shoulders, you run the risk of spinal compression in the event of a severe impact. The shoudler straps of the harness should pivot from a point betwen 5 degrees below to 30 degrees above the driver's (and/or passenger's) shoulders. This means that if the seat itself is not providing that pivot point (and it shouldn't anyway), that the harness should be mounted at some point either directly behind the shoulders or preferably slightly above.

For us vertically challenged drivers, getting the harness pivot point above the shouders is usually not too difficult. But those of taller stature, you need to be more carefull of where those harness are A) mounted to, and cool.gif where they pivot from.

-Josh2
MoveQik
Allan,

There are pics in my blog of exactly what you are asking for. If you want pics with the seats forward, let me know.

MW
Aaron Cox
same here. i have eyebolts thru the firewall, and have the harnesses go up and over the harness bar....

and the block in visability is next to nada
So.Cal.914
Not just spinal compression, I tore both of my rotator cups in my sholders

because the harness was to low. Ouch.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ May 24 2006, 06:22 PM) *

Not just spinal compression, I tore both of my rotator cups in my sholders

because the harness was to low. Ouch.

owich.....

i drove mine for a little while like that.... then read about the back issue and got a harness bar..
Allan
Michael you have a PM.

Aaron, when are you coming up for the party?

I can use your help.....

wub.gif
Aaron Cox
when? what party?

what kinda help?

wub.gif u 2 LOL
MoveQik
I can't win.... when I was putting my harnesses in I asked about a harness bar on this forum and everyone jumped on me saying that the harness bar prevented the harnesses from working properly. I was told by several that it prevented the harnesses from holding you down in the seat. Damned if you do...damned if you don't. headbang.gif
Allan
QUOTE(MW 914 @ May 24 2006, 06:41 PM) *

Damned if you do...damned if you don't. headbang.gif

Welcome to the club.....
Aaron Cox
i think the magic number is 10 to 15 degrees.... the belts can have a 10 - 15 degree up hill to your shoulders and be safe.

my torso is tall enough where the harness bar puts the belts like 1" from the top of my shoulders....

i dont move....
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(MW 914 @ May 24 2006, 05:41 PM) *

I can't win.... when I was putting my harnesses in I asked about a harness bar on this forum and everyone jumped on me saying that the harness bar prevented the harnesses from working properly. I was told by several that it prevented the harnesses from holding you down in the seat. Damned if you do...damned if you don't. headbang.gif

dry.gif Same here. Maybe I will pick up a bar and see how it works for me. confused24.gif
Trekkor
this may be helpful...
MoveQik
QUOTE(trekkor @ May 24 2006, 09:09 PM) *

this may be helpful...

Those are the exact instructions that mine came with. You can't get that angle with a harness bar. At least not in my car with the bars that I have seen. I realize that a persons height will come into play, but I am fairly average at 5'10".
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(MW 914 @ May 24 2006, 09:41 PM) *

QUOTE(trekkor @ May 24 2006, 09:09 PM) *

this may be helpful...

Those are the exact instructions that mine came with. You can't get that angle with a harness bar. At least not in my car with the bars that I have seen. I realize that a persons height will come into play, but I am fairly average at 5'10".

you might be ok... you can only go so high on the firewall with the eyebolts...

id err on the side of being a little loose on top than being a little "paralyzed"
MoveQik
QUOTE(Headrage @ May 24 2006, 06:31 PM) *

Michael you have a PM.

Allan, I sent you an email. let me know if you didn't get it.
Aaron Cox
i want an email sad.gif lol
MoveQik
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ May 25 2006, 12:13 AM) *

i want an email sad.gif lol

C'mon....I honored you in my signature. What else do you want???
Aaron Cox
ROFLMAO

that is by far the funniest rebuttal i have seen to it yet!

props!

LOL. AA
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.