Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is this what I need?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cbenitah
Since I lost all my Keys a few weeks back I have decided to go and get a new key done. 2 guys tried to make a new key, they both failed.. chair.gif So if I need a new ignition.. is this what I need? Seams too cheap if you'd ask me..
Or is there a way YOU know about that I don't? Called Porsche as well and they dont have any records of older cars they said.

Ignition
type47
to me, when i looked at the switch that popped up from your link, i do not think that's what you need as i think that one is for a -6. of course, unless you have a -6...
Joe Ricard
I could only get the electrical portion to come up.
You need the tumbler setion or just pull the unit out and re key everything.
Plenty of guys here that can do that. Even me but I don't have time.
cbenitah
Anything I can tell the lock smith? I get it for free if they do it through my insurance.. They did try to make a new key for it but failed.. Kinda bumbed about it right now. Any advice would be great
Cap'n Krusty
What year is your 914? Makes a difference. The Cap'n
cbenitah
1974, what is the difference?
Cap'n Krusty
Early cars use a different tumbler. You need the tumbler, not the switch. Porsche keyed tumblers are probably NLA, but I can get VW ones with a round rubber head, and they're pretty reasonable. Did one key work for all the locks in the car? If so, can you take out the front or rear trunk lock? If not, it doesn't matter. Removing the ignition switch assembly with the steering lock can be a challenge if you don't have the key, so there's gonna be a bit of learning and effort involved, including the use of a drill.

Mark Britell might have a good tumbler with key to fit your car, BTW. Used, of course.

The Cap'n
willrc
QUOTE(cbenitah @ May 24 2006, 04:29 PM) *

Since I lost all my Keys a few weeks back I have decided to go and get a new key done. 2 guys tried to make a new key, they both failed.. chair.gif So if I need a new ignition.. is this what I need? Seams too cheap if you'd ask me..
Or is there a way YOU know about that I don't? Called Porsche as well and they dont have any records of older cars they said.

Ignition

lost my keys a few years back. Took off the trunk lock by putting a plastic wedge
in between the trunk and removed the two bolts holding the trunk locked. took the trunk lock to the locksmith and they made me a new set of keys. porsche used all tumblers in the locks for all the car. first key cost me $45. the second only $5. Car was also a 1974. hope this helps
rcrgrl
i know a locksmith in town that doesn't do cars, but he might know a guy - i'll ask in the am and let you know i fyou haven't come up w/anything.....plus i can see if hte guy that did mine is open sat and i wouldn't mind taking a lock up for you if he is - & you can wait...
cbenitah
i have welded my trunk lock shut and have the assembly here next to me. is that all they need you think??? I have never tried to open the trunk with my key. i just know that I couldnt open passanger door with my key i opened the driver door with. and driver door key did not work in the ignition... should i try with the trunk lock??
echocanyons
they dont have records

That is total BS less than one year ago I had two porsche made keys. They didnt copy them they had them made based on the VIN

Go to the parts dept. and ask to have keys made. They will need your registration and proof of ownership.
It's not cheap but if you want the correct key it will work
echocanyons
Also turn around was a wait like two weeks they had them made from Porsche NA
cbenitah
then they are good at bs.gif ... since I called today and walked in. when they ran my VIN nothing came up (they said) tried to see if they had an ignition i could buy instead sad.gif but not even that.. Maybe they didnt want my business i dont know.. I'll call tomorrow and try for my trunk, im hoping that will do the trick
Dr Evil
You can't be sure that the ig is origianl anyway. If your passenger side would not open it could be because it is broken on the inside. Have a locksmith look at your trunk and your doors and see if they match. At least you will know if they are the same and can go from there. Many of us can do them for you and see.
dlo914
you could send your ignition tumbler to MarkB on the forum and he could rekey your tumbler to any key you sned him.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.