Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: starter sticks "ON"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr. Roger
i just replaced the starter switch with an aftermarket dash mounted type.

the starter just got a little adjusting to allow the starter gear to throw a little furthur inward.

I can bench start the starter and the solenoid moves the starter gear where it should be and the gear starts spinning. looks fine to me.

i install the starter and wire it correctly, testing the wiring with a volt/oohm meter.

then i go to turn over the motor with the ignition disconnected.

i turn the key to the acc position and everything comes on.

then i turn the key to the start position and the engine starts turning over.

but when i release the key, the starter continues to turn over the engine.
(this is where i preach the importance of having a main power shut off switch) LOL

could it be the stupid switch? it releases under no load senario. confused24.gif
bd1308
I dunno, it happened with my old engine...if i revved it for a second or two it would stop starting.

Uh, I replaced the engine and now the starter works fine again...(ground issue)

OH.

Yeah, check your ground strap...maybe?

I dunno...would you like a beer.gif

b
So.Cal.914
First check the switch with your V/O meter , see if the start circuit is switching off

when you release the key. Second are you sure that the starter is the correct one?

Starters will hang up where the starter gear meets the flywheel.

smoke.gif
Brian_Boss
I'm betting it's a sticking solenoid on the starter.
Leo Imperial
Take it out and push start.
SLITS
Is this the V8 conversion?

If so, you have to have a diode in the line to the ACC position on the switch, otherwise you'll have constant power thru the switch (AFAIR).

And the possibililty that the copper contacts in the solenoid are sticking is possible too!
lapuwali
My bet is on the sticky solenoid. My starter did this, too (the starter keeps going after I release the key), and it only happened when I switched engine/gearbox pairs (new starter). Put in the starter from the old engine/gearbox, and the problem went away.

You want to get one of those nifty high-torque starters, anyway. You've just been looking for an excuse. You know you have...
Mueller
he is using a stock Chevy V8 starter.....I'm wondering if it has anything to do with you removing the cir-clip to increase the travel of the gear??
Dr. Roger
James is right, I have been looking for an excuse to buy one of those Hi-torque starters..... LOL and "yes" BD, I could use a cold one.... (too much time working and not enough time driving)

Mike, that's why i bench ran it to see if i could get it to stick but it operated perfectly. Just not while using the new switch... screwdriver....

so now i guess i'll test the switch again to ensure it's releasing on contact.
if good
then put the spacer back in which will give me only half of a gear engagement.... =-(

then if it works i'll just get a skinnier spacer or swap it out for one of them new fangled Hy-torque puppies.

THANKS GUYS! clap56.gif

i feel like this 'effin horse sometimes....
dead horse.gif
JPB
Modifications are only as fun as the friends one has for the retro fit problem solving. I'd like to say that it is so cool to have 914 friends with all the answers!

beer.gif Good reason to have another one! Go Club!
Dr. Roger
wait a second......

could it be stuck because i've got the ignition turned off and therefore there is a constant pressure on the gears which won't let it go????

so if i turn the ignition on and the engine starts i wonder if the pressure between the flywheel and the starter gears wil release the starter gear????

no, that's stupid thinking... it usually stops turning over regardless of it starting or not. nevermind..... LOL back to the switch and the starter.
wbergtho
I bought one of the mini Hi torque starters off E-Bay and it has worked just fine on my 11.2:1 compression V-8. I have a 911 starter that works fine...If you are interested, I'd sell it for cheap.

Regards,

Bill
Dr. Roger
Bill,

by any chance did you notice if your starter gear fully engages the flywheel ring gear?

that's why i'm dealing with this now. only sometimes was my starter grabbing hold of the ring gear....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.