Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT woes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TonyAKAVW
So my 914 has finally succumbed to the oxide disease and I am in need of a new roller. I've got a ton of good parts form my 73 chassis, so I don't want to just throw that all away. In the long term my goal is to put together some kind of GT-lookalike with either a 6 cylinder Porsche engine or something else? Anyway, I certainly don't mind having a stock 914 for the time being, but lets say I were to come across a roller that had GT fenders on it. Lets assume this was a good roller with no major issues and stock in every way except the fender flares. What am I to do?

In the one case I have a roller with all my parts transferred over which looks really silly because I don't have wide wheels/tires. I figure I have the following options...

1. Spacers - really unattractive idea to me, both in terms of safety and looks
2. Get really wide wheels - too expensive for me now, because it would also require a new 911 front suspension and so on. Can't afford all of that at the moment
3. Get some more reasonable wheels like 7-8 inch phone dials and minimal spacers - still expensive and probalby need a 911 front suspension still
4. take off the flares and use the fenders from my current car, returning the car to its stock look.
5. Wait for another roller.

Since I've had my 914 apart for 6 months I figure I can wait a while longer for another roller to come up. So thats the most tempting thing to do now. On the other hand I could remove the fenders btu I'm wondering how messy that is to de-fenderize a car...

Anyone have suggestions?

-Tony
swood
I may have a roller for you with only minor issues. Especially if your going to do a full swap over. PM me and let me know what it is you want.
Mueller
You can get 8" (or wider) wheels that'll fit under the GT flares for about $70 a pop from this company.

Diamond Racing Wheels

Brett W is running these on his car.

4x130 Bolt pattern and are light rims for steel....as light or lighter than many aftermarket aluminum rims.
TonyAKAVW
wow! Thanks for the tip. I always liked the 'stealth' wheel look. I'll check them out.
mharrison
I can't beleive that you would pass up a roller with flares over WHEELS....Put the skinnies on and save your pennies. Or find some cheap ones like in the previous post. And for God's sake don't take the flares off!!! That's like pulling a HEMI out of an old MOPAR hot rod to put in the factory 318.
swood
dude....chill. cool_shades.gif
Aaron Cox
please tell me it's not the light blue 71.....im after that!!!!! ohmy.gif

headbang.gif plz!
swood
No worries bud. Let know how it goes. aktion035.gif
TonyAKAVW
No, its not a light blue one...

Why would I take the flares off? I'd prefer not to, but a roller is a roller, and they are fiberglass flares... If they were steel I wouldn't think of it, but fiberglass makes me at consider it. Here's another problem I see...

To really make use of flares, you need wide tires and wheels. Especially for the rear, you ought to have like 9 or 10 inch wide tires. My little 1.8 will have a heck of a time pushing around anything with that rolling resistance. So then I need a 6 cylinder engine or a V8, and then I need a 911 front suspension and brakes, and we are getting up to a full conversion whereas right now I'd just like to get back on the road in a 914 period.

So yes, the flares are definitely cool, but they are costly, both in time and money. with these less expensive wheels that Mueller posted I have more reason to go with it, but it just all depends... I can always add flares later to a non-flared car.

-Tony
markb
I've still got the yellow 72 with wide GT flares I'd like to get rid of....
TonyAKAVW
Thats the one I'm talking about smile.gif
swood
Sorry, but those rears are a bit much. blink.gif
Aaron Cox
ah crap- i posted that and have emailed the guy for like 2 weeks.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(TonyAKAVW @ Sep 26 2003, 05:17 PM)
... lets say I were to come across a roller that had GT fenders on it. ...What am I to do?

if they are real, steel flares, go for it, live with it. get some middlin' sized spacers, some moderately wide wheels, and call it good.

if they're glass flares, it's no big deal what you do. if they're properly done, tho, i'd still not sweat the wheel & tire issue - you have plenty of time to address that before the car's running - or any time, for that matter ...
Mueller
Tony,

if you are thinking of the yellow car, those are not normal GT flares, they are super wide and no, do not put stock size rims and tires on it, it looked goofy when Eric G had it and was running little 5.5" wide rims smile.gif

the car does have potential, and those steel rims would be ideal for this car, I think they even have 16" rims that would help fill up to giant wheel wells......
Aaron Cox
Tony- didsregard the email i sent you, i sent it before reading the whole thread ohmy.gif .....
d914
circle racing makes both steel and al. at very descent prices. GT flares and 7&8's for the streetare a good combo. If you go 5 lug early 944 bbs's are realtively cheap and you dont need spacers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.