So, I know you all love these "barnyard find" stories, so here's a new one. As you can see, I'm in southeast Kansas, a.k.a. the land that 914's forgot. So, when I started my restoration several years ago, I was looking for a donor car. Luckily, I found one in my own town (of 150 people, who'da thunk it). It used to be an Olympic Blue 1.8. It didn't have an engine/transmission/rear suspension, and was broken in half, but it had the parts I needed. So, I bought it for $100, and got to work stripping parts. As part of the deal, I got to keep the car in the guy's unkempt backyard so that I didn't have to truck the heap home. After a while, I had the car stripped to it's skivvies, so I left the body to the forces of nature.

Skip ahead 3 years.

Some dude bought a 914 project, was driving by, and saw the definitive lines of an Olympic Blue 914 in a pile of weeds. He called me up, and I mentioned that I owned the car in the field. I told him that there was nothing left on it, that I had all the parts here. He then told me that he went back there, and thought that he saw the engine/transmission/rear suspension under a tarp. I spent weeks working on that car. I never saw no stinking tarp! But who am I to doubt him. So, armed with the knowledge that since I bought the "car," it was therefore mine, I went to check it out myself. Well, it is true!!!!! I don't know if it turns over or anything, but it's a side-shifter, and it's NOT a 1.8. I have another 2.0! 3-stud heads with a GA engine code. This is un-freaking believable! How could I have missed this jewel after spending so much time over there? I don't understand it, but I like it. I have an extra rear-half of a 914. How cool is that?