Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Targa seals (the expensive ones...)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9080

quality???
redshift
All my side seals are ruined, and just 2.5 years old..

See, rubber starts to die from the moment it's molded.. it's not MM's fault.

M
GWN7
he said he had to strech it to make it fit......
Bleyseng
I installed a OEM one two years ago and yes they are alittle short. I installed it on a sunny hot day and slowly stretched it out along the windshield top until it reached across then slowly pushed it into place. Then I did the side pieces.

Still leaks abit in a heavy rain at the targa to windshield joint.
Gustl
back in 2000 I went to a professional restorer to let him do some minor work on my teener (I'm the guy with two left hands unsure.gif )
one of the things was to replace the rubber seals around the top, including this expensive one
he decided to buy them from Mittelmotor
after installing them he had exactly the same problem, but he thought this would be no problem - well, in my opinion it was a problem ... I mean, this was the reason why I went to a professional
he wasn't willing to renew this sh*t, so I asked my lawyer for help

result: I went to the local Porsche Center, let them replace all the rubber seals from Mittelmotor and the restorer had to pay the bill smilie_pokal.gif
this is the way to get original Prosche seals for the Mittelmotor price biggrin.gif

at home I still have some pics from the broken seal - I'll post 'em when I'm back home (I'm at the office now)

wavey.gif Gustl
JeffBowlsby
They are slightly 'short' so they fit tightly. If installed from one side to the other, it will break every time, do not set it up to fail by stressing the corner joints. I have put this seal on and it works very well if done correctly. Install it in a warm environment. Lube it using soapy water. Press the seal on at the center of the top windshield and work to each side, stretching it slightly as you go. It has memory so when it shrinks...it fits snug.
SLITS
A hair drier works really neat and put the roof on immediately and let it set for a few days to take a set.....very small tear was the result a few days after roof removal which I filled with RTV. Put it on just before WCC04 and its still there.
Gustl
QUOTE(Gustl @ May 29 2006, 02:00 PM) *

at home I still have some pics from the broken seal - I'll post 'em when I'm back home

DEC
All the MM aftermarket seals have not the the inner reinforcements so they
brokes quicker than the original seals. barf.gif
The quality is much worsens. mad.gif
That's my opinion.
jsteele22

I've never done this job, but I wouldn't recommend heating the seal during installation. Unlike "simple" solids, polymers (e.g. rubber) contract when heated. For a piece that is already undersized this would only make the job harder.

The linked thread says the manufacturer acknowledged quality control issues, and I also think Jeff Bowlsby's advice is good : install it so that the stress is distributed along the piece, but more at the center than at the corners.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.