Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Motor Trend Classic
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RogerYellow914
I found this in the May/June 2006 issue of Motor Trend Classic. The caption reads, "THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA Motor Trend held its first Import Car of the Year contest in 1970. Porsche's mid-engine 914 won, and the staff wanted to make a big splash of it. Shooter Fred Enke went big, for sure - the barge was more than 80 feet long. This oddly conceived cavalcade set sail from the Port of Los Angeles in San Pedro. The female model was an unnamed Petersen Publishing stafer, and the hapless dude in the rowboat was executive editor Dick Wells. The wind was up that day, and the barge nearly overwhelmed the rowboat on numerous occasions. But they got the shot."

Click to view attachment

I thought ya'll would get a kick out of this. And the car looks like my baby!

Thanks to my wife for scanning, sticking both halves together and saving it in a format that could post.

-Roger
SirAndy
QUOTE(RogerYellow914 @ May 30 2006, 10:36 PM) *

Thanks to my wife for scanning, sticking both halves together and saving it in a format that could post.

schweet! smilie_pokal.gif

now, if you could get your wife to rescan just the 914, blowing it up about 500% and scan it at 300 dpi ...

i'd like to see the 914 in closeup ...
idea.gif Andy
So.Cal.914
Thanks ,Cool pic...

smoke.gif
RogerYellow914
Sir Andy,

I'll work on that. Right now we're working on getting three little boys to bed. Me too, I've got to get up at 5 tomorrow.

-Roger
9146R
News to me - I didnt realize it was Car of the Year. Great find.
Thanks.
Greg
KaptKaos
AND it was the only Porsche to ever win the title, not that I value Motor Trend's opinion all that much.

Note: they stopped the import car of the year title in '99 and combined it with the domestic title, just to have one car of the year. Also, this list doesn't have every year from 1970 to 1976. I am not sure that they did the contest all those years.

Here is the list:

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle
1998 Lexus GS
1997 BMW 5-Series
1996 Mercedes-Benz E-Class
1995 Nissan Maxima
1994 Honda Accord
1993 Mazda RX-7
1992 Lexus SC 400
1991 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4
1990 Nissan 300ZX Turbo
1989 Mitsubishi Galant GS
1988 Honda CRX Si
1987 Acura Legend Coupe
1986 Mazda RX-7
1985 Toyota MR2
1984 Honda Civic CRX
1983 Mazda 626
1982 Toyota Celica Supra
1981 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
1980 Honda Civic
1979 Datsun 280ZX
1978 Toyota Celica
1977 Mercedes-Benz 280E
1976 Toyota Celica Liftback
1970 Porsche 914
Gustl
I'm just curious about the fact that it shows a yellow car

AA tells us, that the "Motor Trend Import Car of the Year from 1970" is a white car

confused24.gif Gustl
Joseph Mills
now, if you could get your wife to rescan just the 914, blowing it up about 500% and scan it at 300 dpi ...

i'd like to see the 914 in closeup ...
idea.gif Andy
[/quote]

I just happen to have this same image.

Although it's not as big as you requested, here's a crop from the file I have on hand.

By the way, a friend left a few issues to peruse, and regardless of what one thinks of Motor Trend, this "classics" magazine is beautifully done. Excellent photography thruout.

GaroldShaffer
I have that 1970 article. Back when Ebay was "new" I was one of a handful of people that sold old magazine ads, now every one does it dry.gif

Anyway here are pics of the article, my scanner is dead so pictures will have to do for now.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
GaroldShaffer
more smile.gif
GaroldShaffer
more more smile.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
GaroldShaffer
Last smile.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Amen to that driving.gif
olav
Nice!

Thanks for posting the pics. Looks like there is a white one in there too.
blitZ
"It only seems to require that you enjoy yourself", I like that.
jimtab
QUOTE(Gustl @ May 31 2006, 09:27 AM) *

I'm just curious about the fact that it shows a yellow car

AA tells us, that the "Motor Trend Import Car of the Year from 1970" is a white car

confused24.gif Gustl

I guess they got that wrong too.... biggrin.gif
RogerYellow914
Gerold,

That's cool that you have the original article. MT Classic only had the picture. When you get your scanner working, would you mind scanning the whole thing for us to read?

Thanks,

Roger
Pat Garvey
Man. I remember that issue so well! I was fresh out of "uncle sugar's" army & had no money, but made up my mind to get one. Changed a little bit along the way & in early '72 ordered a 240Z in red. Came in on the waiting list in orange - told them I wanted a red one - they told me it would b another six months. Went back to the original plan & bought my 72 RED 914 & cancelled the Z. Showed those pompous bastards.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(RogerYellow914 @ Jun 1 2006, 05:55 PM) *

Gerold,

That's cool that you have the original article. MT Classic only had the picture. When you get your scanner working, would you mind scanning the whole thing for us to read?

Thanks,

Roger

Sure will. Wife plans to buy a new one this weekend.
greg.treadway
popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.