Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How many bolts hold on the plenium?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tod914
75 2.0... only seen one towards the front.. I assume there are more??

Thanks
Rand
Yup, and one at the back too. The same one that stumped me. wink.gif
Dave_Darling
I believe it's three. Two toward the front, that bolt up to a couple of the engine tin screws. (One toward the left-front, one toward the right-front.) Plus the one at the back, that uses one of the crankcase through-bolts to hold it in place.

--DD
tod914
Great thanks guys... any kind of seal or anything ill need when it goes back on?
Allan
Here's a pic that "MAY" help. It is 3 bolts like Dave said. If you pull the throttle body off of the plenumn you'll need a new gasket and they are nla BUT, I took my throttle body to the local vw parts house here in town and they were able to fit it with one off of a t-1 that only required a little cutting.

So.Cal.914
Gadd's, Dave the human 914 encyclopedia.
jd66921
Okay Dave (or whoever), is it easy enough to remove the whole plenum since it is
almost impossible to install the throttle body to the plenum? This is a 1.8 L-Jet.

How many bolts are there?

Thanks,

Jeff
tod914
Thanks Allan for taking the time for the photo. Answers my question smile.gif
Dave_Darling
I haven't worked with a 1.8 plenum (I never messed with the one on my old 1.8). The one pictured above, and the one we've been talking about, is a 2.0 one.

I would guess (and it's only a guess!) that there are similar connections on a 1.8, but I don't really know. It might be easier to pull the plenum (though I have found I have to pull the intake runner pipes off the motor to remove the 2.0 plenum), but I don't even know how the 1.7/1.8 throttle body is held to the plenum at all.

Damn long way of saying, "I dunno!"

--DD
Cap'n Krusty
The gasket for the TB is NOT NLA. There was a post today that mentioned picking one up at the dealer. The T1 gasket is much smaller, and the 1.7 and 1.8s use a rubber or plastic cone. Those are NLA, and have been for years. The Cap'n
tod914
Cpt, would a 2.0 engine gasket kit contain a new TB gasket?
jd74914
QUOTE(jd66921 @ Jun 2 2006, 08:02 PM) *

Okay Dave (or whoever), is it easy enough to remove the whole plenum since it is
almost impossible to install the throttle body to the plenum? This is a 1.8 L-Jet.

How many bolts are there?

Thanks,

Jeff

I actuallu put mine on and took it off again 3 times 2 weekends ago. Its very easy and IIRC there are 3 bolts to the case from the plenium. I found that it was much easier to pull off the plenium to put the TB and a few other things on, than leaving it on. smile.gif
Joe Bob
Plenium???

I opened the thread to find what it was....geez, must be bored....
Allan
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jun 2 2006, 07:31 PM) *

Cpt, would a 2.0 engine gasket kit contain a new TB gasket?

No TB gasket in the seal kit. Nor does it come with front and rear main seals...
StratPlayer
The 2 bolts on the top of the plentium are they competely necessary for a proper install. I have the plentium mounted as a preassembly of the motor. The is no where on this case for the bolts to thread into, I have the other 3 connecting points connected. Just wondering about the 2 long bolts that fit into the top of the plentium.
rmital
Tod...thought your car was in storage, what's up?
...or what are you up to...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.