Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: K&N OIL Filters
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jonwatts
I went to my local Kragen autoparts today looking for oil filters for my Subaru engine and noticed (despite 10 yards of Fram filters) that they stock K&N oil filters. I didn't even know they were making oil filters. I usually buy OEM but was wondering if anyone has any input on these things (perhaps on their other cars / wife's car). Not sure how often I'd buy one at $10 a pop but if I were in a jam I'd use one.

http://www.knfilters.com/
Brad Roberts
What does Subaru use from the factory ??

I have tried a few filters on my truck by havent noticed any differences between the Fram Double Guard or the cheaper crappy one they sell.

B
jonwatts
It came with a Subaru factory filter. Not sure what the price is, need to get friendly with the parts guys at the local dealership. It's a tiny thing (smaller than a Mahle T4 filter). If it's near the $10 I'll just use the K&N. They say they have the no-backflow valve to help hold oil in the crankcase and prevent dry starts (this is good to have for turbos / superchargers).
Brad Roberts
I run Mobil1 in everything but the tube car so 10$ filters dont really bother me when I'm paying 4$ a quart for oil. Splurge this one time and buy the K+N filter.

Cut apart the old filter and inspect the "paper" they use.

Run the K+N and cut it apart when it's do for the next oil change.

B
Dave Cawdrey
One thing about Subaru oil filters is Fram's dont work properly. I had a 92 Turbo Sport Sedan (Legacy) for a few years, and Fram is frownd upon in Subaru.

I am a stickler for details, starting w/ OEM parts pray.gif
jonwatts
I like Brad's idea of cutting them open for comparison. Let's see how the band saw at work does on the OEM one biggrin.gif
Mark Henry
On my bugs I use the big pumps with the Full Flow filter adaptors. I could use the cheap PH-8A filters, but I once had one on it and on a cold morning it blew up like a balloon. unsure.gif

I have always used the HP-1 Fram but some guys are saying that they don't like them.
Any experience or problems with them?

On the stock T4 I've always used OEM.
Dave_Darling
I won't use Fram, ever. :finger2:

A couple of pages from someone who did take apart a bunch of filters, and posted what he found--
http://www.minimopar.net/oilfilters.html
http://www.minimopar.net/oilfilterstudy.html

--DD
jonwatts
Wow Dave, excellent site (even tho they don't mention the K&N).
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 24 2003, 02:17 PM)
A couple of pages from someone who did take apart a bunch of filters, and posted what he found--
http://www.minimopar.net/oilfilters.html
http://www.minimopar.net/oilfilterstudy.html

--DD

Now that I believe that a lot more than "they say"

Mobil 1 looks good, but I have some more reading to do.

I should mount the 'Puter in the shitter, I do most of my reading in there anyways. pain30.gif
ChrisReale
I found a gift card for Schucks in my pants after they went through the wash. Had enough left on it for a K&N oil filter. Ill cut :gilloutine: the old Mahle in half, and do the same with the K&N after I have some use out of it.
givory
After a nearly disaster using the Fram Double Guard, I switched to the K&N for my /6 vintage racer, and won't be going back to the Fram. It seems to have an unusually fat/soft rubber o-ring, which in my case blew out while on track. Since my filter is front trunk mounted, oil sprayed everywhere nearly emptying a 13L sump tank, getting under my tires, and off track I flew. What a mess. That's my experience, anyways.

Gavin Ivory
VARAC #58
Mark Henry
This is the only reason why I have always used the Fram HP-1! I'm paying 3 time's the cash just for a stronger can.
I would never use a PH-8A or a double guard. I will try the K&N or the Mobil 1 next time.
Mark Henry
I hate to hear that my fav filter is just an el'cheapo in a good can' but I've never had this happen and I've got a big pump and rev my bug up to 7000rpm.
Mark Henry
The above photo's were lifted (OK, stolen) from Tom Perso's thread on the STF. Here's the whole thread if you want to read it:

http://shoptalkforums.com/bbs/NonCGI/Forum...TML/005387.html
Targa
I like K&N oil filters. They are easy to remove and install as you can use a crescent wrench. smile.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(jonwatts @ Feb 23 2003, 11:39 PM)
I went to my local Kragen autoparts today looking for oil filters for my Subaru engine and noticed (despite 10 yards of Fram filters) that they stock K&N oil filters.

i use a K&N oil filter on the E-Prepared ur-GTI. one very nice thing about that hex nut on the bottom is that it's already drilled for a safety wire hole.

last time i checked, they DO NOT make a filter that fits any modern Subaru (or there would be one in the '97 Legacy Outback right now). check the application book and if your vehicle is not listed, make -real sure- the place will take a filter back (and don't pitch the old one!) if the threads are wrong. i'd love to use a K&N filter on the Subie but the dealer filters are only $6.50 so i can't complain...
J P Stein
Reading your way back thru the posts, Rich?

This one was off page 6 so ya gots a long ways to go.
jonwatts
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Apr 5 2003, 08:59 PM)
last time i checked, they DO NOT make a filter that fits any modern Subaru (or there would be one in the '97 Legacy Outback right now).

I'll have to triple check that. I believe they had a listing for the 2002 WRX which is the same as my motor (EJ20). I liked the hex nut feature too, though I haven't had to much trouble removing an oil filter in the last 12 years.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(jonwatts @ Apr 5 2003, 09:54 PM)
I'll have to triple check that. I believe they had a listing for the 2002 WRX which is the same as my motor (EJ20). I liked the hex nut feature too, though I haven't had to much trouble removing an oil filter in the last 12 years.

i haven't needed much more than my big slipjoint pliers to pull a filter in a long time so i don't think there's -that- much value in the nut feature. i -do- like the safety wire hole, and use it in the ur-GTI, but i don't know where i'd fasten it in the Subie -- which is unlikely to see any track time anyway...

i'll check my FLAPS for new applications too -- it's been a year since i checked, and they had nothing for anything much newer than a BRAT at that time - nothing for the 2,5 at all (and the early one won't fit a '97 2,5 - thank you for not asking how i'm so sure...)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.