Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gauge questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MoveQik
Ok, currently the only gauges I have in my car are speedo, tach and a dummy light for oil. I can already hear you guys asking WTF is the matter with me?? Yeah, yeah, I know.

Anyways, I understand I'll be needing a different tach with the /6 conversion. In addition I want to get the other gauges to protect my new investment. What are the options? I have seen combo gauges that allow you to have everything in the factory gauge panel. And I have seen the aftermarket panels as well, such as this Gauge panel . I'm not leaning either way, I just want to go the route that will work best. Any thoughts on which gauges work best and where to get them?
Joe Bob
Depends on how much ya wanna spend......Palo Alto and North Hollywood Speedometer is the place to start....not cheap but you get what ya needs. VDO is prolly what you wanna get...nothing flashy but consistent...you want flash, they can redo the faces, relocated the numbers, add extra gaauges in the same body....

Tach can be converted, they can use you old gauge bodies and refurbish them.

BTW....I think I have a dual sender for the oil pressure idjut light and pressure with gauge...I also have one or two other gauges that were in Frankenstealth for a short time. I removed them and went with 911 combo gauges.....which is another option.

Westach will also make custom stuff....they made my CHT and Voltmeter for my 911 that replaced the clock that never worked and then magically worked when installed in Mark Bs car....
Eric_Shea
I decided to go with the 911 set - Oil Combo, Tach and Speedo. This leaves no room for the fuel gauge. This is why the 904 style combo gauges are fairly popular with conversion folk.

Someone always beat me to the available combo gauges (what I would call the proper kit) so I took that as a sign to mount the fuel gauge in the dash ala the GT cars. As Z mentioned, the speedo shops can get you there. Probably in the $500 buck range. Not a bad deal for the proper gauge in proper working condition...

If you have a center consoule mount the fuel gauge there.
lapuwali
You can get a 5-gauge 911-style dash from Getty. Using 911 gauges, you get fuel level, oil level (or whatever else you can get NH/PA Speedo to turn that into, like a voltmeter), oil pressure, oil temp, G light, oil pressure light, tach (914 or 911), speedo, plus one more hole for a 911 clock that you can also stuff with some Westach multi gauge units that have 1, 2, 3, or even 4 gauges. CHT, EGT, AFR, etc.

Sorry, my camera died or I'd show you a photo. SirAndy has one, and there are plenty of photos here if you can find them.
Eric_Shea
agree.gif didn't thunk bout that one this AM (more coffee)
MoveQik
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jun 4 2006, 08:47 AM) *

You can get a 5-gauge 911-style dash from Getty.

Very practical but I want to keep the 914 dash.
gregrobbins
If you are open to a complete dash change, the switch to a 911 style dash with five gauges is very cool. Look for a kit to be offered on the classifieds soon.

I also like the arrangement where the normal fuel gauge is replace with three small 2 1/16th dedicated gauges. Check what Morphenspec is offering here on ebay.
Joe Bob
BTW....shitcan the oil level gauge. Waste of space as is the clock.

My next project for the 911 is to decide what to put in it's place....but first I need to figure out WHY two bench tested and working fuel senders want to stick when in the tank....I always ignore the oil level gauge and check oil via the dipstick every other gas fill up.
Aaron Cox
me personally i dont like my 904 all that much.... its kinda busy....

if i did it over, i would use the 911 pressure/temp gauge, and mount the small fuel gauge in the dash
rickyhgarcia
I had my gauges restored at North Holywood....great workmanship...

They make/upgrade your gauges for multiple readouts, and keep the 914 look...
Aaron Cox
bad pic, but here is my setup...
IPB Image

and full size (hotlinking from blogs isnt working right...
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?auto...=attach&id=3768
Dr Evil
I like my setup with oil P, oil T, tach, speedo. I have separate fuel, CHT, and V meter.

Dr Evil
I got a serious thing for gauges, though. I even modified mine with a third light bung on the tach to fill in the dead spot between 3-5K, painted my needles white and added blue LEDs.
type47fan
I like the 911 combo gauge in the dash and the fuel gauge in the center console. It really comes down to personal preference. I've seen the 904 installations and fuel gauges in the dash, in the radio slot, in the "A" pillar. All have their advantages. You just have to have a vision of what you want your car to be and how its parts are put together to complete that vision.

Good luck on your decision. We are here to help!
RustyWa
How bouncy is that fuel gauge in the console? I had a VDO Cockpit fuel gauge in my VW Rabbit long ago and it was really bouncy.
type47fan
QUOTE(RustyWa @ Jun 4 2006, 09:44 AM) *

How bouncy is that fuel gauge in the console? I had a VDO Cockpit fuel gauge in my VW Rabbit long ago and it was really bouncy.

I'll let you know as soon as the engine gets installed and the car is on the road again biggrin.gif
markb
QUOTE(Joe Bob @ Jun 4 2006, 08:35 AM) *

BTW....I think I have a dual sender for the oil pressure idjut light and pressure with gauge...I also have one or two other gauges that were in Frankenstealth for a short time. I removed them and went with 911 combo gauges.....which is another option.

Westach will also make custom stuff....they made my CHT and Voltmeter for my 911 that replaced the clock that never worked and then magically worked when installed in Mark Bs car....

I'd be interested in the sender. The clock still works great! smile.gif Thanks mucho.
TROJANMAN
Ask Eric Shea to put you in contact with his buddy Gordo. He can get you some gauges. av-943.gif

i like the 911 set up with the fuel gauge in the center console.
MoveQik
I kind of like the look of the white faced gauges. Any word different manufacturers? I think I am leaning towards the aftermarket gauge plate that will allow several gauges.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Jun 4 2006, 10:35 AM) *

Ask Eric Shea to put you in contact with his buddy Gordo. He can get you some gauges. av-943.gif

i like the 911 set up with the fuel gauge in the center console.

mad.gif
Joe Bob
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jun 4 2006, 09:10 AM) *

bad pic, but here is my setup...
IPB Image

and full size (hotlinking from blogs isnt working right...
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?auto...=attach&id=3768

Gee....mentioned that in the Playground a few weeks ago.... bootyshake.gif
Joe Bob

I'd be interested in the sender. The clock still works great! smile.gif Thanks mucho.
[/quote]

Call me...
lapuwali
If you decide to go with the 914 style dash plate with three holes where the combo gauge goes, first, morphenspectra sells a nice fiberglass unit in the Vendors section. I believe it's cheaper and better made than the 9x unit.

Westach can also help here. They have 2" dual round gauges, and you can customize what goes where. You could have any combo of oil temp, oil press, volts, fuel, cht, egt. You can even have all six. Me, I'd probably do a dual oil temp/press gauge, a single CHT gauge, and fuel and volts in the third.
Eric_Shea
if i did it over, i would use the 911 pressure/temp gauge, and mount the small fuel gauge in the dash

Maaaannnnnnnn.... what a copy-cat!
MoveQik
I hesitate to ask this and show my ignorance but here goes.....why won't the stock tachometer work?
sixnotfour

Maaaannnnnnnn.... what a copy-cat!

The Factory done it since the GT's beer.gif
Eric_Shea
The Factory done it since the GT's

Yeah I know... inside joke cause Jr. A-W-L-W-A-Y-S copies me. Even when he doesn't, (such as this case) he wishes he had.
jasons
QUOTE(MW 914 @ Jun 4 2006, 12:02 PM) *

I hesitate to ask this and show my ignorance but here goes.....why won't the stock tachometer work?

Tachs are sync'd with the pulses off the coil. Basically in a nutshell 4 pulses off the coil of a 4 cyl motor = one revolution. 4 pulses off the coil of a 6 cyl equal 4/6 or 2/3rds of a revolution. So... Your tach has to be calibrated to the pulses.

If you put your 4 tach in your car with a 6, it will always read more RPM's than actual. Because your 6 will pulse the tach 6 times per revolution, your tach will see the first 4( of 6) pulses as one revolution, when its actually only 4/6 or 2/3rds of a 6cylinder revolution.

I don't know if you can follow that, but I hope it helps...
Joe Bob
I gota $19.95 Pep Boys Special that has a 4-6-8 switch on the back....strap it to the steering column....woohoo, Ricardo Racer braduh.....worked great on Frankenstealth...
gregrobbins
Nice 911 five gauge kit for sale in the classifieds. Good price too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.