Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So is it a VW or a Porsche?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Lou W
Well at least we're not talking about a Chalon or a Bradley Gt...

oh wait...

never mind happy11.gif

jimtab
we're beating the proverbial dead horse here but I have just one comment....how many mid-engined cars has VW built....now, how many has Porsche built....I rest my case...oh, yeah, and fuck em if they can't take a joke...the 911 cars days are numbered...mid-engine rules....
Thack
Personaly didn't care either way. Just asked who built the body because I was curious. [quote]

The question could be "who designed it?" Since it's a Porsche design and styling that's what makes it worthy. Karmann did build 911 bodies and they put the badge in the door jamb just as it is in the 914. The VW parts and input were to bring the price down too. The Karmann Ghia was styled at the studios of Ghia in Italy. VW just didn't have the styling genius of Porsche.
The most distinguishing answer I give is "Porsce made this car finish 6th overall in the 24 Hours of Le Mans".
Thack
Here we go again. Look at this venture...
http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/vol...icle_1758.shtml
morph
its a porsche.
james
nbscooters
my co worker gives me shit all the time, he pumps water though, in his 944!!!!!!!!!
dflesburg
Everyone run out and buy copies or check out your local Library.

Ferry designed the 914, using existing parts sources, to beat Butzi's 911, for less money, after Butzi was running his mouth about being a better car designer. Everybody knows that given the same engine and transmission which car fares better on the track.

Isn't the Carrera GT just a long 914?

tmh75
I did a little seaching on the net since my dad likes to tell me its a VW.

The first porsche where made at VW with VW parts, and apparently so are the last.

The boxsters and Caymans are made in Finland. And the Cayanne is made at VW since is shares the exact same tub as the Toureg.

So you can tell your doubters to "put that in your pipe and smoke it!!"
mudfoot76
QUOTE(anthony @ Jun 5 2006, 09:13 PM) *

I pretty much only hear this stupid debate on the net. In my real life car scene I also hang out with 911 drivers and other PCA members who drive other Porsches. Everybody thinks the 914 is pretty damn cool.

agree.gif
While I was out driving around on Sunday, I encountered a number of other taildraggers of various vintages. All of them either waved or blinked lights. For the short time I've been a member of my PCA chapter, I am the only 914 that shows up for events and everyone is always interested to see my car. Only on one occasion did I feel like I had a less than warm reception, and that was from a CW who didn't like my paint job and rear spoiler. Whatever, it is my car, and I like it how it is biggrin.gif
Pat Garvey
yappin.gif
Man, this has gone one for sooo long & you hafta feel bad for the Dino owners too. Some of you out there surely remeber that PCA was going to ban 914 owners from mebership because the 914 wasn't a "true" Porsche. I'd bet that most of the detractors were 356 people. Thankfully, wiser heads prevailed but it tookaction by the national officers. For many years, and when Porsches were less seen on the road, 356'ers would flash 911's & get a response flash. If a 914'er flashed, you never got a return & sometimes got the middle digit. At least those days are gone. I'll bet if a 914 flashed a Cayenne ( & why would you do that?), you'd get no response. Likewise a Cayman or any other new 911.

That's why you take your cameraderie where you can get it - right here!
driving.gif
Brian Mifsud
I WISH the 914 body seals were priced like a 911. Last time I looked, a complete set for the 911 was in the $500 range... can't beat the volume of the 911.

I WISH the 914 was BUILT as well as my '69 Beetle. Fit, finish, and most importantly, body DRAINAGE was far more superior.. once again, can't beat volume to wring out the flaws in a design....
BigDBass
I'll bet if a 914 flashed a Cayenne ( & why would you do that?), you'd get no response.

Reminds me of when I was leaving my parking spot at a restaurant last month and a Cayenne was waiting to pull in. I just knew the driver had no idea what my green machine was.
BigDBass
More on topic: I typically tell a certain subset of our friends and relatives that it's "just an old VW" to avoid sustaining their seemingly resentful attitudes towards "discretionary spending" sad.gif
Matt Meyer
Isn't the fact that the 914 is treated as the "bastard" car of Porsche part of its appeal. It' is kind of fun to get spun up about things like the advert saying the Boxster was Porsche's first mid-engined street car.

I was looking forward to one of the PCA members to tell me it isn't a real Porsche. My response would be, "Yea, I know, but the VW club wont have me." But it appears it's not going to happen

For the record the local VW club will take any one who is a "VW enthusiast". No VW ownership is required.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.