Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So is it a VW or a Porsche?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
turboman808
So I was doing a bit of work on the car last night. My brother came out and started talking to me about the car. I mentioned it was sold as a VW in Europe. At least I have seen European pictures with VW logos.

Well being the VW guy that he is he had to start saying it's a VW then. I said well pretty much everything on it is porsche at this point. So he said it's still a VW body.

SO Yeah now I was wondering who made the body? Porsche or VW or a bit of both?
Mueller
it Europe, it was sold as a Porsche-VW, not just a VW, huge differance smile.gif

The car title says Porsche, and when your insurance company gives you a bill for it, it's says Porsche as well smile.gif

Your brother is a tool....leave him out of your Will biggrin.gif

Jeroen
the body was made by Karmann
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Jun 5 2006, 08:17 AM) *

I was going to say that...

In the US it was sold as a Porsche. So, thats what it is.

Zach
Hammy
it's, as my neighbor put it, "glorified Volkswagen or an unglorified Porsche, either one".
RON S.
QUOTE(Hammy @ Jun 5 2006, 04:56 AM) *

it's, as my neighbor put it, "glorified Volkswagen or an unglorified Porsche, either one".

I hear it all the time from the guys here at work.

"Souped up Volkwagen"

This always comes from guys whose idea of restoring a good car is a run of the mill chevy that at any car show,gets lost in the same crowd of other chevys that are all the same just diferent color paint.

I'll stick with being different.

Ron
Hammy
QUOTE(RON S. @ Jun 5 2006, 06:03 AM) *

QUOTE(Hammy @ Jun 5 2006, 04:56 AM) *

I hear it all the time from the guys here at work.

"Souped up Volkwagen"

This always comes from guys whose idea of restoring a good car is a run of the mill chevy that at any car show,gets lost in the same crowd of other chevys that are all the same just diferent color paint.

Ron

I hear ya.
drewvw
I think an important distinction here is what the car feels like, a porsche or a vw?

Does it feel like my ghia? yes. But does it also feel like an early porsche? yes. If I had to lean one way or another, it feels more like an early porsche than a vw.

I agree, keep him out of the will and give him a huge charlie horse and a nuggie.
turboman808
QUOTE(RON S. @ Jun 5 2006, 05:03 AM) *

Only had mine about 3-4 or weeks and I must say I get some pretty rude comments from people. But it always starts with "Wow thats a really cool car" Which is just weird??? I realized it's best not to tell people how much I paid for it. Because they always got some shit to say about it when I do.

But good to hear I drive a porsche biggrin.gif
turboman808
QUOTE(drewvw @ Jun 5 2006, 05:24 AM) *
I agree, keep him out of the will and give him a huge charlie horse and a nuggie.

yeah my brother would kick my ass. Has a martial arts school and trained one of the guys in the last ultimate fighter series. nuggie would be a bad idea biggrin.gif
Hammy
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Jun 5 2006, 06:34 AM) *

yeah my brother would kick my ass. Has a martial arts school and trained one of the guys in the last ultimate fighter series. nuggie would be a bad idea biggrin.gif

just smoke him in your VW then cool.gif
tdgray
Neither... as my one of my nieghbors said yesterday as I was owrking on the car.

"Hey nice FIAT"
Joe Bob
Ask the asswipe if he thinks a 356 is a VW? Those were Karmann and Ruetter and a few other coach builders WITH VW drive trains....

How about Ford...Bodies by "Fischer" .....the list goes on....
drewvw

agree.gif mikes got a good point there....
DNHunt
It's certainly a hybrid, not really 1 or the other. The truth is you gotta have a pretty thick skin cause the people who don't know sh@t are gonna give you the VoPo or NARP stuff. Most of the Boxster people won't give you the time of day and some of the people driving newer waterpumpers would rather not have you around. The people that really know will give you respect and a lot will say "I had one of those and I really loved that car".

My experience with VW people at Bugorama was interesting. There was a lot of interest in my car, but mostly they were curious. Very few that I talked to had much knowledge about 914's and many were surprised by my comment that the car was a joint venture between Porsche and VW.

Dave
URY914
Corvettes ain't nuttin but a fancy Vega.
drewvw

muscle cars ain't nuttin but a truck frame with a huge freakin engine
DEC
In Europe its a VW-Porsche, the title say as manufacturer VW
but everybody call the car as Porsche 914.
Outside Europe the manufacturer is Porsche.

The reason for this is that in Europe the 914 was selled by VW-Dealers
in the US by Porsche-Dealers
IronHillRestorations
My reaction to those comments has grown into "OK, sure".

Don't give arguement to someone too stupid to overcome ignorance.

It's OK if you don't know the truth, and want to find out the fact; that is ingorance (not knowing) in search of the truth.

Stupidity is not knowing the truth without any desire to find the truth, but professing that you do know the facts.

Sorry guys, but I gave up the argument a long time ago. I feel no need to defend why a 914 is really a Porsche.
olav
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Jun 5 2006, 06:34 AM) *

Which fighter did he train?
Dave_Darling
agree.gif PK's got it right.

VW or Porsche, who cares? Let your brother call it whatever he wants--it's still more fun than just about anything else on four wheels!!!

--DD
RON S.
QUOTE(9146986 @ Jun 5 2006, 06:29 AM) *

My reaction to those comments has grown into "OK, sure".

Don't give arguement to someone too stupid to overcome ignorance.

It's OK if you don't know the truth, and want to find out the fact; that is ingorance (not knowing) in search of the truth.

Stupidity is not knowing the truth without any desire to find the truth, but professing that you do know the facts.

Sorry guys, but I gave up the argument a long time ago. I feel no need to defend why a 914 is really a Porsche.

Yea,

I don't bother with much follow up to a rude comment about my teener.

I do know,if you do take your teener to an open car show,and look beyond the dumb questions about "What kinda car is that",you'll see you'll get more interest in it than those run-of-the-mill Ford & chevy guys.

Ron
lapuwali
One thing way too many people need to get over is that Porsche = VW, at least up to the period the 914 was being made (and recently, now that Porsche owns a big slice of VW). The same family designed the earliest VWs and the earliest Porsches, and lots of parts were shared between them. Any 356 person who's sensitive about this needs to grow up.

A lot of guys on the 912 board were pretty uppity about this. F*ck 'em.

I certainly don't have any problems with the shared heritage. Anyone who does is simply ignoring history.

Is it a VW or a Porsche? The correct answer is: Yes.

SLITS
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 5 2006, 07:51 AM) *

agree.gif PK's got it right.

VW or Porsche, who cares? Let your brother call it whatever he wants--it's still more fun than just about anything else on four wheels!!!

--DD

Dave's got it right..........If your ego is so fragile that the distinction between VW or Porsche is critical, I say buy a Honda. At least then your identity crisis is solved.
Bleyseng
One thing for sure, a 914 is not a Ford, GM or Chrysler product.
turboman808
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jun 5 2006, 07:12 AM) *

Dave's got it right..........If your ego is so fragile that the distinction between VW or Porsche is critical, I say buy a Honda. At least then your identity crisis is solved.

WOW sorry I asked. Seriously some people got there panties in a bunch biggrin.gif

Personaly didn't care either way. Just asked who built the body because I was curious. beerchug.gif
ehick72
I have noticed that VW people don't seem to like these cars too much. Which may be the root of his comment. I remember the last time I had mine at the shop (which was a diffcult thing for me to do in the first place...let someone else do my work) and a mechanic walked by as I was getting into it and said "yeah my wife wants one of those things...I told her there is no way in hell!". It seems that I get rude comments every single time I deal with a VW guy. Does anyone else get this??

E-dog
Mark Henry
I went to a bug show and got "that doesn't look like a VW to me", cheese and whiner's are about the same. Some are Ok, others are just dicks.

Who cares.
MBowman325
QUOTE(RON S. @ Jun 5 2006, 05:03 AM) *

Ron

Now now, just 'cause something's a Chevy, doesn't mean it won't stand out. My '78 Monte is the only one in town like it, easiest thing to pick outta a parking lot, if I'm not surrounded by trucks. Probabliy one of handfull nationwide. The 3rd Gen Montes were sorta a stepchild in the GM family... (Not a fan of the GM F-Bodies except as parts cars) All of the cars I've ever had have been somewhat unique, even if three outta six total have been GM. (87 Monte SS Aerocoupe, 96' DGGM Impala SS)

I've learned with my cars that if someone talks down on them, they don't understand the fundimantal idea of playing with cars -- Make it yours. Be it a concours restore, a wild V8, a Rotax conversion or a 9014/Chalon kit (or a FI LT1/4l60e in a 3rd Gen Monte that looks almost bone stock). Improving on the factory weaknesses, if any exist, is a definate bonus.

A 914 is a 914. smile.gif Body by Karmann or fiberglass or whatever drivtrain, it's still a 914. Like what was said before, VW and Porsche were inter-twined at the start.
Eric_Shea
yeah my brother would kick my ass. Has a martial arts school and trained one of the guys in the last ultimate fighter series. nuggie would be a bad idea

You could always poison him...

mikes got a good point there....

No he doesn't. Ford? Body by Fisher (no 'c')? Hailing from Lansing, MI... I don't think so. Mike's simply been drinking again. drunk.gif lol3.gif

Check the heavily debated design thread. I believe the original intent was to have Porsche design a Ghia replacement. The 924 was also designed for the "People's Car" company... is that a Dub?

Me says P-Car but I love the VW involvement.
DNHunt
One thing for sure, a 914 is not a Ford, GM or Chrysler product.

Cept mine, i got a wee bit of a bunch of stuff. A true mutt.

Dave
Brian Mifsud
Designed by P-O-R-S-C-H-E! Built by VW subsidiary.

Go see the history of the Dino Ferrari... same game... FIAT built engine designed by Ferrari.

Both of these were Boutique cars where the anticipated sales didn't merit bringing all the tooling and production inhouse.
914-8
Seems like it's a lot VW to me.

Isn't the 1.7 and 1.8 an engine straight out of VW, unmodified by Porsche (the 2.0 was reworked a bit by Porsche).

Wasn't the 4 cylinder car assembled by VW workers in a VW factory?

Doesn't the manufacturer sticker say "Manufactured by Volkwagenwerk AG"?

I think the correct answer is it is a joint exercise between the two companies. Both companies played large roles in it's design, construction, and supply of major components. To deny VWs huge involvement with the production of the car is silly and unnecessary. It is what it is.

That being said, as someone who has owned may 914 and 911 over the past 20 years, I can honestly say I much prefer the 914! It doesn't make sense to most people, but it's true and my driving habits prove it. I've almost always had one example of both sitting at the same time in the garage. And when it's time to choose which one to drive, 99% of the time it's the 914, because it's more FUN, regardless of the label one wants to put on it.

Joe Ricard
My buddies with Honda Del SOL and a Mazda 6 Speed were giving me shit last week. You know VW this and that and one of them made a coment about the flares. "what are those Dually fenders"?

After I took it to both of them on the track My reply was "yea how about that VW with dually fenders" "You got beat by a Volkwagen.... Naner naner naner NANER"

IanStott
When I lived in Germany, 77 til 80, it was referred to as a Porsche, the people who called it a VW with a bit of disdain in their voice were car snobs. These people exist, no matter where you are. I just said then, as I say now. well whatever you think, I really like them and I'm going to own one some day. And now I do and I still love the damn thing!

Ian Stott
Moncton
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(drewvw @ Jun 5 2006, 06:24 AM) *

I think an important distinction here is what the car feels like, a porsche or a vw?

Does it feel like my ghia? yes. But does it also feel like an early porsche? yes. If I had to lean one way or another, it feels more like an early porsche than a vw.

I had 5 VWs and none of them came close to the handling of the 914, to me it

it didn't feel anything like a VW. In the canyons it left them far behind. Call it a

VW- PORSCHE but don't call it a VW.
dflesburg
I dont care if you dont like my cars and long as your eating my dust and I dont have to drive your pos. Kinda like I dont want you looking at my woman and I certainly wouldnt even let my dog climb on yours... geez.

Stop worring about what other people think.

Don't ask God what he thinks of you. You will probably get your feelings hurt there too.

zymurgist
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jun 5 2006, 10:17 AM) *

Corvettes ain't nuttin but a fancy Vega.

Them's fightin' words! alfred.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Jun 5 2006, 03:03 PM) *

Don't ask God what he thinks of you. You will probably get your feelings hurt there too.

Seems like Fleetwood Mac could do a whole song about that!
MattR
Rubber seals dont cost $2g on a VW.
D1A3
Look at it like this, does the car reside in the Porsche Museum or the VW one? It's in the Porsche Museum and listed in all of the Porsche historical books that I have ever seen... It's a PORSCHE.

We're dead horse.gif but I like the comments!
Scott Carlberg
QUOTE(ehick72 @ Jun 5 2006, 06:28 AM) *

I have noticed that VW people don't seem to like these cars too much. Which may be the root of his comment. I remember the last time I had mine at the shop (which was a diffcult thing for me to do in the first place...let someone else do my work) and a mechanic walked by as I was getting into it and said "yeah my wife wants one of those things...I told her there is no way in hell!". It seems that I get rude comments every single time I deal with a VW guy. Does anyone else get this??

E-dog

..Just the opposite for me.
When I actually drove my 914 driving.gif
I took it to a couple of different VW event/drives, the majority of the questions were: "is that a 6?". I also had quite a few tell me that they had had a 2.0 at one point.
Most also thought I'd be the only one to hang with the 'fast guy' on the drive.
gregrobbins
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Jun 5 2006, 05:17 AM) *

At that time the 911 tubs were made in the Karmann factory too according to Brian Long.
/L.
I lov's my car! wub.gif At least I have one that works and is pretty damn nice looking flipa.gif
JFJ914
When Norbert Singer signed my 914Club hat at Petite Le Mans, he smiled when I asked him if it was a "real" Porsche and said "Yes !". Who are you going to listen to, the architect of every Porsche racing car since 1975 or a gold chain wearing whine and cheezer taildrager??????????????? Although, taildragers are Porsches too. I guess. dead horse.gif
anthony
I pretty much only hear this stupid debate on the net. In my real life car scene I also hang out with 911 drivers and other PCA members who drive other Porsches. Everybody thinks the 914 is pretty damn cool.
John
Could someone please call my insurance company and tell them it' just an old crappy VW, or by the same token, call the personal property tax people and let them know it's just an old crappy VW?

That goes for my ass dragger turbo as well....
ClayPerrine
A 914 is the bastard offspring of a gasahol fueled night of lust between a 911 and a VW Bus.

So that makes the 914 a SOB (Son of a Bus)!

Lou W
QUOTE(MattR @ Jun 5 2006, 12:12 PM) *

Rubber seals dont cost $2g on a VW.

agree.gif It seems like all the parts that I've been buying for my car seems to be the same parts for a 911. That should say alot. dry.gif
Aaron Cox
as someone once said...

anyone who said it is a VW never priced replacement parts....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.