Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: speedometer cable replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimtab
OK, I give up. How the hell does a person with big hands get the cable re-attached to the back of the speedometer? I sure as hell can't get at it from the hole below the dash. I also can't seem to get enough slack in the cable to re-attach it after taking the plate with the three (speedo, tach, combo) loose and pull it forward. Do I need to detach it at the trans and get the slack there? Do I obtain a small child with small, strong hands and force them to do the job. Come on gang, share the wisdom....I need help. By the way, how was the Hooters nite...I hated to miss it and the last 914 breakfast but the teener is having some shifting issues. Jim
ChrisReale
its tough, but you can remove the gauge cluster by unscrewing the four screws, and popping it out...
jimtab
QUOTE(ChrisReale @ Sep 28 2003, 09:44 PM)
its tough, but you can remove the gauge cluster by unscrewing the four screws, and popping it out...

Like I said, even after removing the guage cluster I couldn't get enough slack in the cable to get it hooked up.
markb
I never pull the whole cluster, I just pull the speedo forward & set it on the steering column. You may still wind up having to have a small-handed person screw in the cable. Mark (sometimes thankful for small hands wink.gif )
SirAndy
loosen the clamps that hold the cable to the front firewall, that'll give you enough slack.

the cable comes out of the center tunnel and then runs up the front firewall to the gauge, alongside the steering column.
it's hold in place by a few clips/clamps ...

might be behind carpet, dunno, it's been so long since i had carpet in my car rolleyes.gif

Andy
ChrisReale
Sorry, I mis-read your orig. post. I just put mine in, it was a tight fit for my hands, and it was a PITA, but I got it in...
ss6
Just had the speedo out, with a little patience and strong fingers you can pull the tach out of its hole and gain a nice hand access hole to the %^$@# speedo cable.

Mine snapped recently after I rotated the speedo to see the important numbers (30 - 100) thru the Momo steering wheel.

Anybody want to know how to rig an electronic 911 speedo for a teener?
jimtab
Thanks for the input guys, I think if I get some slack in the cable I can beat the thing into submission. Sometimes it's hard to be a "well hung" lesbian. Jim lol3.gif And....if that doesn't work.... smash.gif
Qarl

VDO makes an adapter that fits on the end of the speedo cable that outputs a signal that the electronic gauges can read.

Don't know if anyone has actually tried it!
SirAndy
QUOTE(jimtab @ Sep 29 2003, 09:36 PM)
Sometimes it's hard to be a "well hung" lesbian ...

i'm trying to picture you, gawd, i'm in tears laugh.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(kellzey @ Sep 29 2003, 09:40 PM)
VDO makes an adapter that fits on the end of the speedo cable that outputs a signal that the electronic gauges can read.

or even better, get a 915 gearbox!
914Timo
Posted on Sep 30 2003, 07:40 AM

Don't know if anyone has actually tried it!

I would like to know. Do you have any part number for that VDO adapter ??

That sounds interesting. Are you going to use one ???

I
Jeffs9146
I just pop out the tach and reach in the tach hole to screw on the cable! Wasn't that tough! clap56.gif

Jeff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.