Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cam recommendation for normally asperated??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
I won't be able to properly finish the turbo engine for a few months or longer due to time and budget reasons, so I'm going to have to put my motor together as a normally asperated engine and run it until things look a little better time/money wise.

The "turbo" cam will be put off to the side, I can run my stock cam or since the motor is taken apart already, spend a few dollars for a decent cam. The motor will remain fuel injected (Megasquirt or Haltec, depends on it Brad wants the Haltec back since I'm not going to "need" it for quite some time)

For the exhaust I have stock 2.0 exchangers or European Racing Header

So, cams????

I have access to a brand new Engle FK10 cam or should I get a more aggressive but streetable FI or Carb cam??

The motor will be basicly stock, the Pauter roller rockers will be more than likely put for sale, but I think I'll keep the ARP head and case bolts and use them.

The pistons and cylinders are flat top Euro spec (I think I figured out 7.7:1 compression with the old set of heads, I'm waiting for the heads to come back from the machine shop, not sure what all was done to them.

thanks,
Mueller
I should add:

stock 2.0 bore and stroke
ChrisReale
Well, I think alot will depend on how adjustable the FI is. If it is adjustable like a carb, Id say get a fucking raw cam and build a raw motor...but, if you want it to be drivable around town, maybe something more tame, like a Web 73?
Charles Deutsch
I'd go with Webcam's 86a. It might be a good idea to plug the motor's specs into Engine Analyzer or DeskTop Dyno and look at the hp and torque curves that the different cams produce.
DNHunt
I guess I would wait to see what the heads are like. What do you expect the porting to be like? Is the intake going to be stock? Will you be able to flow enough air at higher rpms? If the valve train is stock do you want to turn the engine faster than 5600 ? If you go with longer duration are you willing to put up with changes in vacuum signature and a rough idle?

I think I'd wait a while and answer some of these questions first. I imagine that others can think of more.

Dave
maf914
Check out Web Cam http://www.webcamshafts.com/volkswagen-auto.html

If you're going mild the 86a or 494 looks good. I sort of like the idea of the 494 for more mid range torque.

Mike
Charles Deutsch
Info on the aircooled.net site says the 494 cam is good for only 40K miles.
fiid
QUOTE(ChrisReale @ Sep 28 2003, 11:28 PM)
Well, I think alot will depend on how adjustable the FI is. If it is adjustable like a carb, Id say get a fucking raw cam and build a raw motor...but, if you want it to be drivable around town, maybe something more tame, like a Web 73?

With the megasquirt, you should be able to adjust for any cam you feel like.

Get something as hot as you are willing handle in terms of reliability and then bust out your mstweak3k (I take it you have WB-O2? if not - you can borrow mine once I get it in a box.) You should be able to get anything to run with an MS.

Fiid.
Brad Roberts
Put the Engle in it Mike. If you look at the specs ..it is VERY aggressive.

Buil the engine just llike you where going to for the Turbo engine.. just leave the turbo off. If you want to stop by today.. You can drive a 86a car with Euro P+C's and 40 Webers. Runs good all the way to 6k RPM.

B
Britain Smith
I suggested to him that he could use the elgin cam that cam off my NA motor...

I am going to buy the rockers from him when he sells them.

-Britain
seanery
who's got the 86a? Mine is a 494.
maf914
Whats the story with the 40K life for the Web Cam 494? Charles is correct that the aircooled.net catalog indicates this. It does have high lift with a relatively short duration. This is good for torque, but are the lobe ramps too steep?

Has anybody heard about this before?

Mike
Dman
I've got an 86a and webber 44's, MSD and heavy valve springs on a stock 2.0.

It took some patience to get it to idle below 1000 the MSD really helped fix that. The thing really wants to run in the 3000-6000 rpm range. smile.gif

I think Jake suggests the 163/86a
Charles Deutsch
Alright, what's a 163/86a?
Mueller
After talking to The Brad (and Engle), I'm going to bump up the compression and run the Engle FK-10 cam.

It's an aggressive puppy, but with the Megasquirt, it should not be a problem smile.gif (famous last words, LOL)
Brett W
I am running the 163/86b in my 2056. Great cam. I feel it needs some more compression though. 8.9 is just not enough. Mike if you plan on going hog wild with the cam you need to raise the compression. 7.7 is too low. go for at least 9.0. 9-5 would be better. What lobe center is the FK10 cut on? I had the 163/86b cut on a 104. really a fun cam. Look for a cam on the 106-107 range for a smooth power curve. You definitely need to be running the header. that is what is holding mine back. I put 118 down on the rollers through a set of stock heat exchangers with a cross over welded into each side. I definitely need to get the header built for it. I am looking at a special cam for the engine I am building right now, something in between a 494 and an 86b. I am talking with webcam about something a little custom. should be neat as hell.
914werke
Not to hi-jack the thread but I want to know more about the pauter rockers. Are they the stock ratio?
crash914
Here is my fall/snowbound project...

Split the case, my car has been a track car for what 8+ years? I have pounded hard for the last 3 years so I have no idea what is inside. Ok, stroker crank, hot cam, megasquirt, stock piston/cylinders and head rebuild.. My heads I think are already ported and should be ok. When I have the $$$$$ for nice cylinders, I can install quickly with out a complete teardown.

Thoughts?? Thanks, herb
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.