Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "Minor" Carburator Trouble
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
One of the cars at Brad's shop wasn't running very well. After checking the obvious stuff we took the carbs off the engine and tore them down. Holy cow!
McMark
Closer detail
McMark
More
McMark
The carb cover had a broken pivot from a previous botched rebuild.
McMark
This is what it should look like.
McMark
Here's the driver side fuel bowl.
McMark
Detail.
McMark
And finally, here's one of the MANY clogged jets. There shouldn't be that tip sticking out the end.
rhodyguy
i'm surprised it ran at all. that metering devise sticking out of the main jet stack looks like a tooth pick. all others aside what's the fix for the broken pivot? the aluminum recycler?

kevin
seanery
I have a feeling those are mine!
rhodyguy
really? he said your engine started, idled and ran well. just was a little noisy (valve train?). the engine with those carbs must have snapped, popped, farted... . i can't imagine brad throwing those carbs on your brand spanking new motor without checking them out first. i'd like to see a shot of the fuel filter.

kevin
seanery
i don't know, when we got it to the shop, it was very clogged up. So, it's likely that it was mine.
rhodyguy
i should think your phone would've been ringing off the hook if those were yours. worst case, there is a set of "new"in the classifieds for what seems to be a pretty fair price. "that's the way the money goes, pop, goes the weasel"

kevin
seanery
we'll see. Brad usually fixes the trouble then says "You know those....They were yours"

I'll call him today and see.
rhodyguy
i should think he'll be loading the trailer for the trip back east today. i did'nt send the stickers to you. i did a calander check. not enough time before you fly out without sending them next day air. too exspensive.

kevin
rhodyguy
i wonder if the piece from the float pivot was in the bottom of the bowl.

kevin
McMark
No metal piece on the bottom of the bowl. Obviously it's been that way for awhile. You can get a new cover plate, there is no good fix for a broken pivot.
seanery
mark, is it my car?
Brad Roberts
It was yours. I didnt check them because the anemic engine actually ran pretty good.. it just needed more cam. This one fired up and idled/ran fine. I found the problem the first time I wrapped it up to 6500 in 4 gears getting on the freeway for a test run.. it started running on 2 cylinders.. quickly limped it back to the shop and found the idle jets clogged.. then pulled them apart and found this. It will have to run with the broken float do-hickey. I dont feel that it is an issue right now.. but it will have to be addressed and I dont have time to order one.

I hate FUCKING carbs.

Add 8 hours to your bill. Carbs only took an hour.. it was all the other "small stuff". LIke throttle linkage... return springs... air cleaner studs...carb tuning (after cleaning). I still have to install the heater fan and the small air tubes.

It runs STRONG. Puts you back in the seat pretty damn good.

B
seanery
Express mail package was not delivered on Saturday. They will do it today. Also, I sent out those Utabs last week. Should have arrived on Thursday or Friday.
McMark
I can attest to the ass-kicking power. This thing flies! The broken carb cover really isn't a problem in the short term. But like Brad said, it will need to be addressed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.