Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear trunk "spring"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gepetto143
Does anyone know how to get the rear trunk "spring" back in place. I had to change the mounting point of the hinge and I'm unable to reinstall the torsion bar back in place (in the little white plastic wheel).

thank you

Louis
william harris
This is a dangerous job because if the spring slips loose it can do some real damage to fingers and other body parts. You need to use a tool in the fashion of a pry bar to leverage the end of the spring down under the hinge pivot wheel. A friend who helped me fashioned his own tool from a large wrench with a notch cut out to capture and hold the rod. This worked amazing well and was very safe since the spring rod was secured and not subject to being launched to maim the mechanic. I will ask Eric - Parts Man here - to post a picture for you. type.gif
Joe Ricard
Yup after the second attempt to put that little SOB back together both resulting is a major Ka-whack SPROING sound I said fuck it and use a stick to hold up the lid.
Hey it's lighter
JeffBowlsby
You need Porsche Tool P304, available from Baum Tools

http://members.rennlist.com/914_collectibles/ToolsP.htm

bryanc
An easy and clean solution is to do the gas shock kit. I bought one from Camp914 and really like it.

camp914
Gary#
QUOTE(bryanc @ Jun 7 2006, 07:07 AM) *

An easy and clean solution is to do the gas shock kit. I bought one from Camp914 and really like it.

camp914

--
I wholeheartedly agree!!! beerchug.gif
When I replaced my broken plastic rollers with aluminum rollers
I had a bitch of a time getting the torsion bar re-connected so I made a special tool out of steel tubing.
It worked - but in the process I still hurt my thumb. I wouldn't do it again - headbang.gif
Go with the gas shocks & save your body for better things. sheeplove.gif
Doug Leggins
I performed this task a while back. Here's a link that should be helpful.

Trunk torsion bar install
rjames
I performed this task a while back. Here's a link that should be helpful.

Trunk torsion bar install

agree.gif

I just did this over the weekend with a buddy using the notched wrench approach. Took us all of about 5 minutes- piece of cake. You do need a helper though.

I would also highly recommend installing new metal rollers when you do this. Pelican has 'em.
tdgray
Ugg. Springs and Crap.

Order the Camp Kit... I just did. Best 40 bones you'll spend anytime soon smile.gif
r_towle
go to the hardware store and buy a fairly large adjustable wrench.
Take your dremel or hacksaw and cut a notch in the end of the handle, where the hole is for hanging...
Make this notch just a bit wider than the diameter of the bar, about 1.5 times the size of the bar...
The notch should be at 3 oclock. centered.
Also have a 10mm or 12 mm long socket mounted on a long extension ready.
Now, with the trunk lid removed, and the engline lid removed..
You use the wrench to grab the bar and bend it far enough forwards to get under the engine lid bracket thing that is in your way...
Once you get there, you need to reposition the wrench.
Put the socket on the end of the spring bar, push down and reposition the wrech while holding down the bar with the socket...
then get the wrench down below the bend...
now you have both the socket and the wrench on there..its easy to control and safe.

Rich
turboman808
does anyone make a gas shock kit for the engine compartment? That would be kinda cool
Jeffs9146
Here is another topic chat on the subject!

Jeff

Torsion Spring

Cire
I need the tool!!!! = )

Does anyone out there have the tool that they can send me? I would send it back with 5 or 10 bucks attached.

Thanks.

Eric
JoeSharp
The tool I made is from a metal stake used for froming concret. I cut a notch in it near the end and it made the chore a breaze. I'll post a picture later when I get home.
rjames
I need the tool!!!! = )

Does anyone out there have the tool that they can send me? I would send it back with 5 or 10 bucks attached.

Thanks.

Eric

Go back a few entries and read Rich's post (and my earlier one too, if necessary. For $5-10 bucks you can by a crescent wrench, notch the handle as Rich described, and voila, instalnt spring tool. Plus you get to keep it and use it for other stuff.

Or you can by the trunk shock kit and get rid of the spring. Difficulty level is really about the same. Both = easy.
JoeSharp
How I cheaped-out on the rear trunk spring tool.

IPB Image

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.