Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front hood alignment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxsterfan
My friend and I were comparing our 914's this weekend (his is a driver and mine is on jacks in the garage). We noticed that both of our front hoods seem to sit above the fender line. So, we took a look at some 914 pics on the internet and saw that some 914's also had this feature.

So, what typically causes the front hood to ride above the fender line?
redshift
You mean the slight arch from front to back, usually worse on the passenger side?

Years of drooping over a gas nozzle, and being opened, and closed.

M
markb
And the fix would be.....?

Don't tell me, replace the hood, right?
redshift
It's bent, you have to unbend it, which is actually bending it again. Let me give you a pointer: Don't UN-DO it by pushing up while it's open. smile.gif

I think you need to remove it, and turn it upside down in a buck that is slightly less curved than the original profile, and then clamp the edges, and tighten them a little at a time, test fit, and repeat as needed.

I think this is another one of the cases you would maybe use a little heat also, but not a hammer.

wink.gif

M
SirAndy
or get someone to help ...

one presses down on the hood near the windshield, so you don't put pressure on the hinge mechanism while the other un-bends the hood.

it's actually really easy, just go slow, otherwise you'll need a new paint-job.

Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.