Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: i got the herky jerky
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sk8kat1
ok it was running good .. then I posted cause my tach crapped out.....

turns out teh wire to the coil broke -- I stripped the wire attached a new connector and it was good... I also added alittle oil because it seemed like if I drove iyt a bit hard the oil light came on ... I also replace the front turn signal bulbs .....

now I go the herky jerkies at approx 2500 -3500 rpm WTF.gif

HELLPPPP!!!! sad.gif
So.Cal.914
I don't speak mid western, can you explain "herky jerky" for me. And elaborate

please.
jhadler
Look at the Throttle Position Switch. They tend to wear the most right around that rpm range (where freeway cruising is most commonly at). The switch is a set of wiper contacts running over a printed circuit. The cicuit traces can get dirty from build up, and create a hesitation or bucking effect.

-Josh2
sk8kat1
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Jun 8 2006, 09:08 PM) *

I don't speak mid western, can you explain "herky jerky" for me. And elaborate

please.

BUCKING .. HESITATION .. CHUGGING = HERKY JERKY
Rand
QUOTE(jhadler @ Jun 8 2006, 10:12 PM) *

Look at the Throttle Position Switch. They tend to wear the most right around that rpm range (where freeway cruising is most commonly at). The switch is a set of wiper contacts running over a printed circuit. The cicuit traces can get dirty from build up, and create a hesitation or bucking effect.

-Josh2

Yeah, when I saw "herky jerkies at approx 2500 -3500 rpm," TPS was my first thought. All the wire connections good?
sk8kat1
QUOTE(jhadler @ Jun 8 2006, 09:12 PM) *

-Josh2

i HAVE NOT BEEN DRIVING AT ALL .. IT WAS ON JACKSTANDS FOR THE LAST 5 MONTHS .. i TOOK OFF THE STANDS IT RAN GREAT ... THEN THE SERIES OF EVENTS ... THE po REPLACED THE tps BEFORE i GOT IT ... COULD ANY OF THE THINGS THAT i DID CAUSE THIS? .. IS THERE ANOTHER CONNECTION ON THE COIL THAT I MIGHT HAVE BUMPED THAT WOULD CAUSE THIS SYMPTOM?
sk8kat1
ok i disconnected the wires to the TPS and re conected a few times to try and create a cleaner and better conection .. It seems to run better now but still has a bit of a chug to it .. I did get a spare TPS when I bough the car if I swap them out is there any thing I should be aware of or watch out for? smash.gif
sk8kat1
is it possible that it just needs to be calibrated?
jhadler
Can you take off the TPS and open it up? The contacts on the circuit board can get dirty and cause hesitation. A soft pencil eraser is just right for cleaing the circuit contacts, and a piece of fine emory paper for cleaning the wiper contacts.

-Josh2
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(sk8kat1 @ Jun 8 2006, 08:30 PM) *

if you have a mullet, shave it, and they will go away chairfall.gif

it worked for his achy-braky
sk8kat1
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Jun 9 2006, 09:04 AM) *

QUOTE(sk8kat1 @ Jun 8 2006, 08:30 PM) *

if you have a mullet, shave it, and they will go away chairfall.gif

it worked for his achy-braky

av-943.gif poke.gif
jgara962
I'm having the same issue between 3,000 - 3,200 RPM. Where is the TPS?
sk8kat1
QUOTE(jgara962 @ Jun 10 2006, 07:29 AM) *

I'm having the same issue between 3,000 - 3,200 RPM. Where is the TPS?

little thin black box with a set of wires connecting to it on the throttle body under the
air cleaner
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.