Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A good day today/tonight
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
Well it started off with the FedEx guy arriving promptly at 8:30am this morning to drop off my new turbo valve covers for my leaking engine. The old one had material missing due to corrosion. I did a little light studying until about noon when I was going to go to the PO to ship some bolt orders out, but I couldnt due to severe storm advisories and the fact that I only have my bike during the day. Sooo, out to the garage with me. I quickly modified the valve covers (I didn't realy enjoy tweaking a new part like that, but eh). I fit them to the car, cleaned and installed everything correctly, lowered it off of jack stands and let loose with the engine running. It hesitated at first (probably becasue I have the whole cold start circuit disconnected. Runs good once warm) but then it took. I revved and made sure the system got nice and warm. Smoke was pouring off of the hearde fronm the oil that I missed. Then, the fog cleared......no smoke. At opperating temp I had it idleing and looked under to see that the thing was dry as a bone.......NO FRIGGEN WAY! I FIXED something!? Nice. This time I checked the oil the right way and filled it up with out incedent, too.
It was funny because I was putting it together in a lightning storm which made me feel a bit like Dr. Frankenstein when it started, "Its alive! My beautiful creature lives!"

So now what do I do? Well, I put in the radio, and spent the rest of the night fixing my front bumper up with its special mods.....which include dual air horns happy11.gif I really should take a pic of the set up.

The big deal is this, I have not felt confident to register it in PA as I would need to get it inspected wiht in 10 days and I was not sure I could get it running in a time frame like that. This Sat morning will be one of the best days at the DMV ever (hard to say without vommiting, but it is true). I will be registering it so I can start to tune it and actually use it. I was starting tho think that it was just something you work on but not ever drive. biggrin.gif

On the list:
-Set timing (this should be fun rolleyes.gif)
-break in 100 miles, oil/filter change, valves
- Keep eye open for next inevitable problem.
hmeeder
Sweet Mike!

Congrats and you may now officially enjoy your summer!
Dr Evil
Hey Herb. It would only be better if I were back in SD with all of you.
Hammy
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 9 2006, 10:00 PM) *

It was funny because I was putting it together in a lightning storm which made me feel a bit like Dr. Frankenstein when it started, "Its alive! My beautiful creature lives!"

Hell yeah aktion035.gif happy11.gif
Aaron Cox
nicely done mike smile.gif
So.Cal.914
You've earned a well deserved rip in the canyons.
Joe Bob
Good on ya.....I also got my registration from DMV today for my Speedster....only took six months of BS.....the owner's docs are still in process....but I don't have to hang that stoopid pink sticker in the window like every illegal alien in town has....
zymurgist
Great news Mike! clap56.gif

Have you looked into getting an antique plate? They don't require the annual inspection (or emissions). Maryland has a similar rule... my taildragger wouldn't pass the standard inspection since I don't have provision for a front tag (not an issue in PA).
Dr Evil
Antique plates here are restrictive. You can only drive too, from and in events with only occasional driving to the store. In a small town like this with a car like mine the cops would easily know I was abusing the system.

Besides, I just registerd for my personalized plate "Evil 914".

The PA DMV is pretty damn awsome. I was in and out in 30 min on a Sat in the capitol city.
Joe Bob
It's always wierd comparing gubmint services in differerent states...they all suck but in different ways.

I was calling Sacramento every week for six months....nothing....then 3 days after a call....my registration is in my mail box......wierdest thing running an agency THAT badly.

I have historical plates on one of my 356s...the real one. I had to explain to the DMV clerk what they were. Once a cop ran the plate...don't remember why. I had to tell him that he was running them wrong....the plate said 118M, but DMV computer has them in the system as HV 118M......so the chance of getting busted for abuse? Thin or none....
Gint
Great job Mike. I knew you'd get there, it was just a question of when.
plas76targa
"100 mile test run"

Frederick, MD?

Ah, that's your call good Doctor!

Congratulations on the success. Considering all "the fun" you had with that car you must be one happy dude! beerchug.gif
VaccaRabite
When I had to register my subaru and do the drivers liscense bit moving from MD to PA, I couyld not believe how easy the process was once I had all my documents together.

I was used to going into the MD DMV an waiting for hours to get anyhting done. in PA I had my liscense, new tags and title and was out the door in maybe an hour.

I am still not sure what I am going to do with my 76. I think that it is going to have to get the historic tags, as I really don't want to keep all the smog stuff on it.

Mike, I am very glad to hear that you got the leaks fixed!

Zach
scottb
good news mike! i will look forward to hearing/seeing the car on the road this summer.

cheers.....

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.