Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: When things go BOOM
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
spare time toys
I got these photos from a friend at LAX. He works for another airline who uses silver A/C idea.gif They had taken a 767 out for a high power run and the High presure turbine disc let go. ohmy.gif It not only took out #1 engine tih parts sliced through the belly and took out #2 also as well as opening up the wing and setting the A/C on fire. w00t.gif Just another boring day in avaition beerchug.gif
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Mueller
that is why I never sit next to or slightly behind the engines...."hmmm, wonder what happens when we push it to 130% instead of 110% power?? smile.gif "
wbergtho
I used to work at Northworst for 19 years and boy did I see my share of A/C damage. The best fodded out engine story I have is a DC-10 that took off from MSP and injested geese (many geese) into the #1 engine...it threw debris into #3 engine and barely made it back to the runway running only on the #2 (tail engine) fully loaded with people, fuel. baggage, freight & cargo...No time to dump fuel...it landed over grossed! (max takeoff weight is a hell of alot more than max landing weight). CLOSE CALL!
So.Cal.914
Oh that is just what I needed to see, I am leaving in a couple of weeks for Fla.

Can you say flight insurance? I knew you could.
spare time toys
Just gotta think what are the odds of that happening again confused24.gif confused24.gif happy11.gif happy11.gif
Elliot_Cannon
Good thing it didn't happen in flight. Not enough motors on that airplane.
Elliot
nbscooters
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Jun 10 2006, 06:02 PM) *

Oh that is just what I needed to see, I am leaving in a couple of weeks for Fla.

Can you say flight insurance? I knew you could.

Well my co-worker that I despise is going to Canada on Monday to watch the big game. Maybe just maybe. haha just kidding.

Thats some serious crap there. How does something like this happen?
spare time toys
Probably a flaw from manufactur years ago that got missed and after years of metal fatigue and god knows how many heat cycles to unbeleavable temps it just had enough. Or during a rebuild at overhaul in some third world sweat shop with minimal supervision (but the price is great for the company bottom line) the disk may have got a nick that went undetected when they put it together forming a stress riser and after time POW she comes apart. They will go back into records on that engine and see who did what when. Thats one of the reasons you sign for all the work you do so they can find you when things go wrong headbang.gif
pfierb
That is scarey,going to cost AA a few bucks to repair that damage unless they can pin it on someone else....3or 4 engines sure are comforting but economics has the final say today.
dakotaewing
QUOTE(pfierb @ Jun 11 2006, 08:43 AM) *

That is scarey,going to cost AA a few bucks to repair that damage unless they can pin it on someone else....3or 4 engines sure are comforting but economics has the final say today.

That's probably what ??? $10-15 MIL in damage, especialliy if you factor lost revenue ???
spare time toys
I would be willing to bet that will not cover the lost rev. I know they haul frieght and US Mail it hurt them big just from that alone. You make more off that than the folks riding upstairs. The wing repair will take a couple of weeks. Just the #1 engine and its pylon damage will run up to your guess. For an exapmle on our smaller motors just to replace the fan section you see as you look at the front of the intake is arounr a half mil. A good bird strike that takes out the fan and some guide vanes and panels with no core damage is close to a million and thats only 1 motor and about a day down time.
I like to think of it as you could buy ALL the stuff and cars for sale here and take everyone in the club out for a good meal for what that bang cost them ohmy.gif
JPB
The airlines are trying to get their international planes fixed over seas like J-pan. I don't feel that secure about this industry and the fact that there are people out there who want US dead scares me. I'm not certain if the European planes are getting fixed in the orient also but anyone with half a brain would see this is bad for business. India does the work for 25C/hr., what a great deal.

blink.gif We like the young ones to fix the engines, its cost effective!
pfierb
Article in this mornings New York Times about the AA 767....the insurance co,that covers the plane, is considering totaling it.The engines were an early model GE cf6 that was modified in 2001 using stronger discs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.