Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help please, with rear trailing arm hub
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bodyman
Ok, I have the rear trailing arm off to replace it. I need to change the hub frm mine to the replacement one, But I have no idea how to get them off.... I see the screws but I can not get to the. Whats the trick?
IPB Image
IPB Image
Thanks again guys....
Michael
d914
BFH, or bearing puller

look up older thread, lots of info
Gary
Check this thread. Do you really need to replace the hub?
davep
I have often used a wooden drift to knock the hub out of the bearing. The plate with bolts you see retains the bearing. Or at least the outer race of the bearing since often part of the inner race comes out with the hub. Basically you should always replace the wheel bearing when changing hubs. There is little chance of it not being damaged.
Eric_Shea
Factory Manual says "suitable drift" which means find a piece of brass (or?) roughly the same size as the hub and pound'er out.

My suitable drift is an old 911 rear torsion bar (the big end). I put the arm upside down on the press with the press table on the next to the last setting. I prop up the end where the shock bolts to on the press and the other end rests on the floor.

A couple of whacks with a BFH and they're on the ground.
bodyman
well unfortunantly I have to change the bearings in the replacement trailing arm. I pulled it from my parts car and before I removed the wheel I checked to see if therewas any play, and the hub wiggled back and forth. My hub was good on my car but the trailing arm was bent. I do have another parts car, But It has been sitting several years so Im sure the bearings would need replaced as well. So is there any retainer clips I need to remove before I commence to pounding it out...lol There is a porsche shop that has a lot of 914s here in town, So would it be better to pay them to do it? Id rather save the money and do it myself if possible.
Eric_Shea
While it is a good idea to replace the bearings when you've got a trailing arm out and on the bench (if not then when?), a hub wiggling back and forth in a split bearing is not the sign of a worn bearing. New ones will do that until the stub axle gets snugged up.

No clips. If they charge you more than $5-10 bucks they'd be ripping you off. With the arm propped up in the right position and the proper "suitable drift", the job should be done in under a minute. Both of them. smash.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.