Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: factory undercoating !
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
so, while spending all day smash.gif and sawzall-smiley.gif and welder.gif on #374 i found a few odd little things ...

- *no* "knobs" on the floorboards to button down the carpet. on neither side. just what looks like factory holes for sheetmetal screws ...

- a plastic plug in the hole for the /4 hose from the washerbottle to the spare tire, going through the wall near the tank. for some reason, i thought the /6 didn't have that hole at all ...

- *FACTORY* undercoating! ohmy.gif at first i didn't notice as the car has the usual aftermarket black tar undercoating stuff like most of them have ...
then, when pulling the front crossmember mount, a big chunk fell off and here's what i found ...

bare metal underneath, then a layer of rubber undercoating, about 1mm thick. very elastic, not as brittle as the inside tar mats, much more flexible, then a layer of *factory* yellow paint over it!

the whole underside of the floorpan is coated with that stuff ...
unsure.gif Andy
Gustl
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 11 2006, 05:58 AM) *

- *FACTORY* undercoating! ohmy.gif

M640 - PVC underseal

wavey.gif Gustl
SirAndy
QUOTE(Gustl @ Jun 10 2006, 11:05 PM) *

M640 - PVC underseal

never seen it before. i take it, that was special order? yes?

idea.gif Andy
Gustl
sure!

unfortunately I don't have the early accesoires price lists (the standard price lists just say "more additional stuff at the accesoires price list" dry.gif ), but from 1974 on it's listed at the standard price list

1974 - DM 65.-
1975 - DM 70.-

I don't know how common this option was, but there are a few gus from germany that told me that their cars had it from the factory.

wavey.gif Gustl
davep
I'm sorry, I didn't know cars came without it. I thought all cars (well, street cars at least) had it. I've never worked on one without it. Here in Canada heated rear windows were a stock item as well, perhaps this fell into the same category.

Can anyone tell me of cars that did not come with this undercoating? I just assumed it was on all cars. However, an M code option suggests that it was not. I wonder what percentage came with it.
Jeroen
mine (73 /4) had the full bottom and fenderwells covered in it
the soft white stuff that feels like pencil eraser?
I think it's the same stuff they use for seam sealer
Borderline
My 72 shows no signs of undercoating. When I get through the layers of grease and grime I find paint, solid paint on metal. That's OK with me as undercoating is heavy! dry.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Jun 11 2006, 09:27 AM) *

the soft white stuff that feels like pencil eraser?

yepp, that's it ... more gray-ish with a white film on the back where it sticks to the metal ...

my red car doesn't have it and i don't recall ever seeing it on any of the cars i have worked on ...

usually, it's just paint over metal and most of the time a layer of the aftermarket black undercoating on top of that ...
smile.gif Andy
DEC
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 10 2006, 07:58 PM) *

so, while spending all day smash.gif and sawzall-smiley.gif and welder.gif on #374 i found a few odd little things ...

- *no* "knobs" on the floorboards to button down the carpet. on neither side. just what looks like factory holes for sheetmetal screws ...

- a plastic plug in the hole for the /4 hose from the washerbottle to the spare tire, going through the wall near the tank. for some reason, i thought the /6 didn't have that hole at all ...

*no knobs*- I do never see this at a real six, except the 1972 -6 chair.gif

The plastic plug is missing at the most six, but the hole is present by all 914-6. smiley_notworthy.gif

Remember that the six body was made by Karmann and only completed by
Porsche. burnout.gif

Wilco
plymouth37
no undercoating on mine, just a thin layer of orange paint. hooray for less weight!
wertygrog
mine has it! I've been wire wheeling undercoating off, and under that is bahia red, then a layer of thickish (1-2mm?) white stuff, then shiny metal. kinda wish they sprayed it inside the longs, might have actually done something...

brent
Rusty
My /6 has it, too. The stuff is God-awful to remove. It's like cured rubber cement... very resilient and resistant to scrapes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.