Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This going to be CLOSE! Need moral support!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
dinomium
Just ordered myself new parts to swap out my improved front end for the damaged one from two weeks ago.

So I have what? two weekends and maybe a couple of days around the 4th to get it done!
So I need to:
Install struts and inserts (koni sport)
Ball Joints
Turbo Tie Rods (already on the struts)
Rotors and Pads
SS brake lines
Wheel Bearings
Get frontend alighned

Find headlight short (only have low beams)
Improve seatbelts (don't have pass side shoulder belt)

PLUS all the routine long distance drive stuff! ACK

I could just drive the F150 and beer3.gif more! then tow my raffle winnings home...
drgchapman
No Sweat. Get out in the garage and git 'er done! biggrin.gif
So.Cal.914
Ok thats one, what are you going to do duering the second week?
Allan
Yoo can doo eet...
DNHunt
Dino

Keep your ring finger off of the bottle caps and sweat through this thing. You can do it easy.

Dave
dinomium
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Jun 13 2006, 05:41 PM) *

Dino

Keep your ring finger off of the bottle caps and sweat through this thing. You can do it easy.

Dave

So I should only drink twist offs to save more time for wrenchen?
biggrin.gif
DNHunt
Save the beer for after you finish the project. We'll come over and help drink all the beer you saved.

Dave
914werke
Dino dont know if this help but Im in the same boat ..sort of. Ive done all the heavy lifting now its down to tuning the dan 1911 to run correctly.

Just got backl from Dallas so was planning how to get over to you anyhow.
beer.gif
rhodyguy
strut assems-1 nut on top, 1 on the bottom, 10 minutes. do the inserts when they're off. work party on sat? are you swapping out the front control arms? a couple of extra hands, steady on it, a short day and it'll be ready for an alignment. do you have a compressor, air lines, and air tools? i will bring the aerokriol. beverage light stays off til the works done. al blose told me the 928 crowd uses evergreen tire in tac for alignments or plan on spending 1/2 of the day in redmond/belleview. ammend your parts order and get some speed bleeders(4 of them). you can thank me later.

k

Gint
QUOTE(Headrage @ Jun 13 2006, 05:58 PM) *

Yoo can doo eet...

That's exactly what I wuz gonna say!

Go speed racer!
dinomium
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 14 2006, 07:52 AM) *

strut assems-1 nut on top, 1 on the bottom, 10 minutes. do the inserts when they're off. work party on sat? are you swapping out the front control arms? a couple of extra hands, steady on it, a short day and it'll be ready for an alignment. do you have a compressor, air lines, and air tools? i will bring the aerokriol. beverage light stays off til the works done. al blose told me the 928 crowd uses evergreen tire in tac for alignments or plan on spending 1/2 of the day in redmond/belleview. ammend your parts order and get some speed bleeders(4 of them). you can thank me later.

k

I did buy the speedy bleeders as well. I have all the tools including the ball joint socket and tie rod wrench and TWO torque wrenches. Air compressor, impact wrench and impact ratchet.

We can turn this into a sort of work party Saturday! The garage is filthy but that is not the focus this time around! We could even grill some snacks.
Just let me know who is going to show so I have enuff snacks and thought enhancing beverages for the peanut gallery.

R man! How was Dallas? how does Saturday sound for a fly by?
dinomium
I am not going to do the control arms or add a front anti sway bar at this time. I would want to redo the bushings at least and most likey repaint the parts...

This all dependant on the arrival of the parts of course! Might be just cleaning the shop and collecting up the parts to go to the swap meets!
biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
check your tracking #s and see what the est delivery date is. according my calendar, you have 3 evenings to tidy up and ensure we have enough room to work!! throw the trash in the car rich is going to buy. save yourself the dump run, haha. i take it we would be on for a mid- morning start. 9ish or what? not doing the control arms will speed things up dramaticly. i like cheeseburgers. this will be fun.

k

oh, get the car up in the air and have the wheels off prior to sat am. leave the tierods and what not alone, except for squirting stuff down with penetrant. don't alter the current toe-in until we start.
dinomium
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 14 2006, 09:41 AM) *

check your tracking #s and see what the est delivery date is. according my calendar, you have 3 evenings to tidy up and ensure we have enough room to work!! throw the trash in the car rich is going to buy. save yourself the dump run, haha. i take it we would be on for a mid- morning start. 9ish or what? not doing the control arms will speed things up dramaticly. i like cheeseburgers. this will be fun.

k

9 works great for me! The back up plan would be to install the struts and eyball the tie rods with the old parts, so there is still stuff to do. Top sirloin burgers and tillimooky cheedar cheeze (from the middle of nowhere!) burgers ROOL!
rhodyguy
i've got a little trick for getting the rod length close. don't undo anything til we get rolling. hard to explain here. give me a call and we'll discuss it. still have my #?

k
dinomium
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 14 2006, 09:54 AM) *

i've got a little trick for getting the rod length close. don't undo anything til we get rolling. hard to explain here. give me a call and we'll discuss it. still have my #?

k

PM me with it...
Allan
Are you done yet? smile.gif
dinomium
doesnt look good for having the parts here by Saturday, I would still like to have anybody in the area stop by.
We are a go for burgers and at least swapping the struts and such! Also, if you think you might need a part that is on or for the 1974 car, let me know!
8th and Naval in Bremerton, We can also take the sawzalls to the white car if we get board!
Always something fun in Btown!
dinomium
Ok, this is a major bummer!
The complete updated front end that I had is missing a few things:
castle nut for a Turbo Tie Rod end
both rack spacers
oh, and a CALIPER!

I guess I could swipe a caliper off the ugmo, but I still will need the spacers and the nut.

Anybody got one of those?
nbscooters
front caliper? i got one with your name on it. give me an offer that i cant refuse. some hardware stores have metric castle nuts. rack spacers, ehhhh. i wish you luck. you got plenty of time to get this car back together!
rhodyguy
is the nut dif than the ones for stock t.rr. ends?

k
dinomium
It feels like they are different. The real fly in the ointment are the spacers. Anbody know how thick they are?

As for the caliper, I don't think I will be buying one right now. The ice is pretty thin where I am skating already!

thanks for the offer
rhodyguy
let's see...no balljoints, brake lines, spacers, bearings, caliper (don't you have like 3 parts cars?), etc....not all that much to do. remove the existing stuff and leave the strut assems hanging by the top nut? did you happen to order the bumpster kit?

at this point i pass on sat. sorry dino. if you can wait a week, til the parts arrive, i'm back in.

k
dinomium
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 15 2006, 10:20 AM) *

let's see...no balljoints, brake lines, spacers, bearings, caliper (don't you have like 3 parts cars?), etc....not all that much to do. remove the existing stuff and leave the strut assems hanging by the top nut? did you happen to order the bumpster kit?

at this point i pass on sat. sorry dino. if you can wait a week, til the parts arrive, i'm back in.

k

oh ye of little FAITH! It is alway darkest just before the dawn! I just got off the fone with Dave from GPR, he says the castle nut *should* be the same, he also had the spacers instock so I ordered them overnight!
I will yank the missing caliper from UGMO and have it for Frankenteener. Did I mention that we still have the burgurs and a nice Rivera rim out here?
dinomium
and I did order the bumpsteer kit... I am going to try to get stuff done, but I would hate to waste people's time.

I know that it is Father's day weekend, so if you guy want to reschedule for Next week, that will be fine. I will still be at the house and will welcome all vistors!

I would feel like a total A$$ if I put out the call for a work party that has no work to do! Updates to come...

That is all (mash announcer voice)
rhodyguy
what does your tracking # say the eta is? the brake stuff is small potatos. if you had the balljoints most everthing could be wrapped up. jeanne reminded me i have a afternoon wedding i MUST attend on sat the 24th.

k
Toast
Sounds like it's the perfect excuse for another So Cal jsharp.gif

(we'll support ya from down here happy11.gif)

In the meantime, I'll have a drink for ya. beer.gif
mstein95
Dino - I'd come over to help you out but it will have to be next weekend.
dinomium
so the brake stuff should show up today and the speed bleeders tomorrow. I chooseded exspress delivery for the rack spacers, so they *should* be here tomorrow.

IF I destroy the tie rod end, GPR has Lemfoerder replacement ends listed under 1986 911 turbo parts.

see, this is shapin up to be a FINE day! Now, where did I put my funny hat?
dinomium
beer3.gif jsharp.gif

thanks for the support guys! I NEED IT!
rhodyguy
you'll need a dab of blue loctite for the bump kit. have any? i forgot about the wheel. i be over and we'll do what we can. start spraying every fastener down if you haven't done so. continue the treatments until sat. see ya then!!!! anyone else going over?

k
Flat VW
IPB Image

With a good hook slide, I'm certain you'll make it!

John wavey.gif
dinomium
I have loctite blue and red, I will need to check on my wheel bearing grease (flaps is > 1 block away)

If I wait till next week, I will not be able to get an alighnment, so Saturday it is!

You are the only confirmed attendie so far Kevin.
rhodyguy
a set of brake line wrenches?

k
dinomium
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 15 2006, 12:01 PM) *

a set of brake line wrenches?

k

this I do not have. I have some flare wreches but not sure what sizes, can you bring yours?
DNHunt
I know place, what time? I'll bring Jenny's whip so we keep on task if the wife lets me out. I might bring the kid.

Dave
rhodyguy
oh, i don't have a set. was hoping you did. i'll be going thru around 830 dave. first onramp across the bridge or the weigh station?

k
dinomium
Dave, you a the pup are alway welcome! It will be great to to see ya!!

UPDATE:
Brake parts are delivered, speed bleeders and spacers should arrive tomorrow. Anything else we will need will have to come from FLAPS...
Good thing they are close!
dinomium
Ok, so the brakes and wheel bearings have shown up along with the bump steer kit. IF we get the spacers Friday, we are go for front end rebuild exstravaganza!

On a slightly less important note, we have the burgers, cheeze and bunz! SO anybody in the mood for burgers off my grill, please feel free to stop by!
jsharp.gif
ablose58
Dino, I will be swinging by to help ya out aktion035.gif I'll see ya around 9 ish! AL driving.gif
dinomium
oh it is turning into a "full scene" now that big Al is on board! I will be great to see ya man!
sportlicherFahrer
I have been out of the loop for a while with no internet connection. I may be able to make it, and I may bring a nice handy tool as well....
dinomium
QUOTE(sportlicherFahrer @ Jun 15 2006, 10:39 PM) *

I have been out of the loop for a while with no internet connection. I may be able to make it, and I may bring a nice handy tool as well....

Glad to have ya!
The parts shop will be open for biz as well!!

also just added to the Menu: kosher hot dogs

Tonights movie: SAHARA staring Humphry Bogart

That is all!
DNHunt
Uniform of the day is?
dinomium
burkas
DNHunt
Burkas! What the hell are Burkas? Those the things the British wore in India?
rhodyguy
hebrew nationals? they answer to a higher calling.

k
VegasRacer
cheer.gif Go Dino. Go. cheer.gif
DNHunt
Sounds like good eats and drinks. If a guy serves Hebrew Nationals, it's a pretty safe bet you won't get light beer. Thank God.

Dave
dinomium
I wont be light but it is lager, we have work to do!

Looks like all the parts came in, big thanks to Dave at GPR!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.