Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Something odd in Matt's tranny
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
So before I helped gut Matt's car he let me take it for a drive. It is a tail shifter so it was sloppy, but the gears all went in without a grind. I was actually surprised at how well it shifted. So, you can immagine my suprise when I parted his tranny to find a 2-5 set of dog teeth with all of the bands and blocks on the first gear. Also, they were pretty worn as was the synchro band. It was odd that it would have worked so well in this shape. I changed it out with a great used 2-5 set of teeth and a synchro band.

Lets see if it starts to shift like crap now biggrin.gif wink.gif

If anyone wants to be a guinea pig for me to experiment on wiht regards to this I am game. biggrin.gif
Gint
Andy take that pic for ya?
hmeeder
I had never seen that done.

Now I know you can machine an extra groove into a 2-5 dogteeth set and use it that way (Clayton showed me one he had worked on.)

If I understand it correctly, the only reason for the extra brakeband on 2-5 is that you shift "up" to those gears and you need to get the gear to spin to correct speed.

Since first gear is never shifted "up" to, it doesn't need the extra brake band, and does have the extra notch for the first gear stop block.

Without ever having tried it, I could see how it may work just fine.

Am I thinking of it wrong?
bondo
Haha, I found a trans like that. I thought "hey, that's a neat trick". Made sense, since tons of v8 conversions are out there starting in second gear from a stop, without the special dog teeth.

So then I decide to try it myself on jkeyzer's trans, and it has trouble going into first from a stop. dry.gif I have another trans I had done the same way that's going into my flared car. I hope it works well enough to use.

YMMV.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(hmeeder @ Jun 13 2006, 11:25 PM) *

I had never seen that done.

Now I know you can machine an extra groove into a 2-5 dogteeth set and use it that way (Clayton showed me one he had worked on.)

If I understand it correctly, the only reason for the extra brakeband on 2-5 is that you shift "up" to those gears and you need to get the gear to spin to correct speed.

Since first gear is never shifted "up" to, it doesn't need the extra brake band, and does have the extra notch for the first gear stop block.

Without ever having tried it, I could see how it may work just fine.

Am I thinking of it wrong?

Nope, you are correct in your assumptions, but it is a little bit more than that. 1st also has a more robust block which would potentially force the synchro band out more than the other gears to cope with the torque forces of the first gear pairing. Second would be slightly less so would not need as much. It still amazes me how this worked so well in such a state of repair.
Andyrew
Whats odd, is my 901 does not grind or anything... but its sloppy as hell... AND I have a rennshifter and new bushings..
Dr Evil
That is odd. It should shift very crisp wiith those things done.
Andyrew
Lets say it "clunks" into gear... like its overcoming a gate.

Drove a stock 1.7... I envy'd the shifter... it was smooth as butter!! (but I couldnt literally find the gear I wanted... lol)

Andrew
Dr Evil
Internals kaput?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.