Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help needed on rebuilding Dellorto Carbs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Owensby
I have tow Dellorto carbs from a parts car I bought to use in restoring my '73 1.7. I have ordered an engine kit from Jake to use, but was planning to use the carbs to get it running.

I was unable to get the main shaft loose on one of the carbs (I think DLRA's). I soaked it in PB Blaster for about 2 weeks, and it still wouldn't budge. I finally bent the shaft as a last act of desparation, and it still will not come free. Can this be salvaged by perhaps drilling out the shaft? Any thoughts will be appreciated. I was planning to get rebuild kits from CB.

I was thinking of using the carbs for getting the engine running, and later upgrding to a more modern FI control system, as the carbs would have been almost free- other than the rebuild kits. I will need new injectors, and maybe other components for my FI system, as it hasn't run in about 10 years, and was originally for a 1.7, not a 2056.

Thanks for the help. I have learned a lot from browsing this club. You guys are great with all the advice.

Joe
lapuwali
Parts for Dell Ortos are getting hard to find. They haven't been produced in years. There are more than a few parts CB lists on their website they can't actually get.

The VW guys think Dells are great. I would have suggested that you sell them to a VW guy and use the proceeds to buy either a pair of Webers (which you can get parts for) or EFI, but now that you've bent the throttle shaft, you'll need to start hunting for another used carb, or parts off one.

You may simply have a nice bit of scrap on your hands.
Mike McGrath
QUOTE(Joe Owensby @ Jun 14 2006, 04:51 PM) *

I have tow Dellorto carbs from a parts car I bought to use in restoring my '73 1.7. I have ordered an engine kit from Jake to use, but was planning to use the carbs to get it running.

I was unable to get the main shaft loose on one of the carbs (I think DLRA's). I soaked it in PB Blaster for about 2 weeks, and it still wouldn't budge. I finally bent the shaft as a last act of desparation, and it still will not come free. Can this be salvaged by perhaps drilling out the shaft? Any thoughts will be appreciated. I was planning to get rebuild kits from CB.

I was thinking of using the carbs for getting the engine running, and later upgrding to a more modern FI control system, as the carbs would have been almost free- other than the rebuild kits. I will need new injectors, and maybe other components for my FI system, as it hasn't run in about 10 years, and was originally for a 1.7, not a 2056.

Thanks for the help. I have learned a lot from browsing this club. You guys are great with all the advice.

Joe

Joe,

What a coincidence. Check out the help section on www.912bbs.org - the host just bought a set of Dells to play with and compare to the Webers and Solexes. I think the idea is to figure out what makes 'em tick. You may be able to glean some info from there (there are other 912 owners who already have Dellortos, I believe). Don't know if the different engine sizes will make a difference or not.

Mike (in Portland)
MarkV
There is a guy in Italy that has a store on ebay that specializes in Dellorto parts. His prices are better than CB & the parts will get to you faster. CB always seems to have some kind of shipping issue.

Not sure why you would try to remove the main shaft unless they are seized from rust. The shafts have roller bearings that should last a long time.

You will probably need more than just rebuild kits unless you get lucky with the existing jet size & venturi size.

Dellorto's are great carbs and have a better progression circuit than webers. Ask Jake for some recommendations for jet & venturi size.

Dellorto ebay store
jr91472
I used these guys (recommended by Jake) to repair a leak on one of my dells. Excellent service smilie_pokal.gif

ACE

I replaced the shaft on one also, got it from CB Perf. But it came out easily enough. Probably one of the bearing is siezed up or something. I would give ACE a call and see what they want to repair it.

Everyone warned me about parts availability for Dells, but so far CB has had everything that I need. confused24.gif

Let us know what your jetting and vents sizes are.......

good luck
Joe Owensby
Thanks to all for the input. I checked ACE, and they have some carbs that look interesting to me. I emailed Jake to see what he recommended for the engine kit he is preparring.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.