Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Registering a car in CA
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billd
I just acquired a 66 912 that has been "stored" for the last 20 years. It was last registered in the 1980s and the PO does not have a title. How hard is it to register such a car? I have a bill of sale and copies of the three previous bills of sale, but no title. DMV has no record of this car in their database.
Dr. Roger
I did this on my last motorcycle. out of state no less.

I sent a REGISTERED letter to the last title holder asking for title. It came back returned stating person doesn't live here anymore.

the DMV asked for title, i showed them my bill of sale. They told me i had to prove that i attempted to contact the previous owner via registered mail to get the title. i pulled out the returned registered envelope and gave it to the DMV person. they looked surprised as most people don't come prepared with proof.

they gave me a sticker and title on the spot.

maybe that will help... =-)
lapuwali
There's a specific form the DMV will have you fill out. If you have a bill of sale, it will be easier, but even that isn't necessary, as the DMV form is an affadavit.

You'll be required to take the car to a CHP station (you'll need to make an appt for this) to have the VIN verified by a CHP officer, which involves another form.

Once you do that, pay the fees, you'll get a title in your name, and can register the car normally.

I did this with a car that wasn't just out of state, but out of country (a '64 Mini from Australia). No title, no bill of sale, no nothing. Just me and the car. The VIN number (which, essentially, had to be "made up" on the spot, as the Oz serial number plate has the "VIN" in two parts: model and serial number). A CHP officer is also entitled to "assign" a VIN, for example, to a kit car.

If the car is still in the DMV system (which it won't be), then you can't take this route. If it's out, then no problem.
Leo Imperial
I did it a few months back with a 74' bus that had no papers. DMV had no records, which seems to make it easier. Get the form as stated by lapuwali and have the PO write a note stating they are the current owner selling it to you and sign it. I was surprised how easy it was.

BTW - I always visit the DMV prior to registering. This way you are prepared prior to waiting in line.
Brando
I am suprised no-one has mentioned... Didn't california just pass a law that if your vehicle has not been registered in this state within the last 6 or 8 years it cannot be registered at all?
Lou W
QUOTE(Brando @ Jun 15 2006, 08:12 PM) *

I am suprised no-one has mentioned... Didn't california just pass a law that if your vehicle has not been registered in this state within the last 6 or 8 years it cannot be registered at all?

Sounds like another urban myth dry.gif
Dave_Darling
Doesn't Brad-holio know something about this topic??? wink.gif

--DD
DanT
another project Bill?

Is one of those 6s going to find a home in that car? smile.gif
lapuwali
QUOTE(Brando @ Jun 15 2006, 08:12 PM) *

So, no one can import a car from out of state anymore, even if they're moving here? Sorry, I don't buy that.
Joe Bob
AAA or DMV can do a VIN verification....best to trailer it or get a one day pass to drive it....
billd
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jun 15 2006, 09:20 PM) *

another project Bill?

This is a background project. Getting the 914-6 on the road is my foreground project. Given that the 914-6 is getting only a few hours a month of my time, the 912 is not going to get much attention until its done.

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jun 15 2006, 09:20 PM) *

Is one of those 6s going to find a home in that car? smile.gif

That was my original plan. However, as I learn more about the 1.6L Porsche 4 in the car I'm considering leaving it as is. Its a much nicer engine than the 2.0L VW 4 in my 914-4.
Joe Bob
Only restrictions on CA cars or motorcycle is that a used car has to have 7500 miles or more on it.

A non CA, but US smog approved car can't be brought in unless it was previously registered in another state and has the 7500 miles.
billd
Thanks much for the advice. I finally found where on the DMV page it discusses this.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/reg_hdbk_pdf/ch08.pdf

I've collected the paperwork and made an appointment at the DMV in a week. Unfortunately it looks like its going to take two trips - one trip to file the paperwork and get a temporary permit, and then a second trip to get the car verified.

It also looks like I'm going to loose the original license plates. For vehicles newer than 1962 the state takes the plates if there is any lapse in registration that is not covered by a PNO. Bummer.
highways
So now that this is sorta figured out... next question is.....
How do you get historical vehicle status (and plates!)? cool.gif
SLITS
You walk in....get hysterical.....they slap a straight jacket on ya and stamp you hysterical....

Oh wait.....

That's Metro State Hospital...

Nevermind....
Joe Bob
First, yer car has to be 25 years old....next you have to find the statute online, then...here's the hard part....ya gotta find a DMV weenie that knows what the Fuch yer talking about...THAT's the hard part.
Joe Bob
BTW....find a good set of BLACK plates....eBay or whatever and you should have a good chance of getting them assigned. The 356 registry crowd is all over that......you can also do a number series in a personalized plate and then redo it in black.....
billd
QUOTE(mikez @ Jun 16 2006, 09:51 AM) *

BTW....find a good set of BLACK plates....eBay or whatever and you should have a good chance of getting them assigned. The 356 registry crowd is all over that......you can also do a number series in a personalized plate and then redo it in black.....

What are the chances that the DMV will let me assign a set of black plates (which are the period correct plates for a '66) to my car? My understanding from the DMV website is that they only allow period correct plates on '62 and earlier cars.

See 14.100 in

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/reg_hdbk_pdf/ch14.pdf
Joe Bob
Sometimes you can BS them into doing it....
BMartin914
In Colorado, to establish a new title or a salvage title for a vehicle without one, you are required to: verify that there are no liens, etc. (by doing a title search and attempting to contact the original owner as roger said) on the vehicle, get an appraisal (from a dealer since NADA and KBB don't go back more than 15 yrs.) and then purchase a Surety Bond for twice the amount of the appraisal - then present all of this to the DMV and they will issue you a title (Normal or Salvage depending on the vehicle's value).

Can anyone clarify what a Surety Bond is?

I may need to do this for 2 vehicles soon and I can't find anything that cleary explains what a Surety Bond is that secures a MV title.
lapuwali
Look up surety bonds in the yellow pages, or ask the DMV for a bonds person. It's basically a short-term insurance policy. You'll pay a one-time fee to get the bond, and that bond person will be on the hook if you're trying to scam the DMV. The bond guy gets some fraction of the amount he'd be on the hook for. The only time I did this (to retitle a salvage car that hadn't been sold to me as a salvage car, and the PO had vanished), the bond was $50.
billd
Unless something goes wrong in Sacramento, the car is now registered and has black plates assigned to it.

This took more time at the DMV than I would have liked - partly because the idiot who "verified the car" (checked the SN) misplaced my registration paperwork and then took some teenager on a drivers test.

The sequence was

1. Fill out application for title form
2. Stand in line
3. They collect the fees and send me to get the vehicle verified
4. Verifier looks at serial number under front hood and fills out a form (but misplaces my registration paperwork)
5. Stand in line to return to registration
6. Registration people inform me that the verifier was supposed to return paperwork to me
7. Wait for verifier to get back from driving test. At which time verifier claims he gave me the paperwork, but then finds it buried on a desk.
8. Stand in line to return to registration
9. Registration person completes registration paperwork and fills out an application for year of manufacture plates.
10. They tell me that Sacramento has to do the final check and issue me a temporary registration good until October.

This wouldn't have been so bad except for waiting in line three times and waiting for the idiot verifier to get back from his driving test.

BMartin914
Sounds a hell of a lot easier than the hoops we have to jump through here in CO.

You're experience sounds like a walk in the park...relatively speaking...
billd
QUOTE(billd @ Jul 5 2006, 10:39 AM) *

Unless something goes wrong in Sacramento, the car is now registered and has black plates assigned to it.

I knew it was too good to be true. I just got a letter from the DMV today denying my application to have black plates assigned to the car - informing me that they can only do this for 1962 and earlier cars. This is after the person at the Redwood City DMV office assured me it was fine.

I hope they still go through with the registration and title.
BMartin914
I plan on calling the Dept. of Revenue several times with the same question to ensure that what I am being told is actually fact.

Obtaining a Bonded Title here in Colorado is one hell of an ordeal, of which I am about halfway through. I am planning another call for next week... dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.