Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Northeast wrenching
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
turboman808
QUOTE(ws91420 @ Jul 19 2006, 06:11 PM) *

So is that a movie car from Talladega Nights in the background.

Ya know I think it is
ptravnic
Shameless icon_bump.gif

Looks like this w'end may have potential...
rmital
..heading over to "Movie Time Cars" early Sunday morning...about 8:00am. Just a quick session, outa there by noon.
turboman808
QUOTE(rmital @ Jul 22 2006, 11:31 AM) *

..heading over to "Movie Time Cars" early Sunday morning...about 8:00am. Just a quick session, outa there by noon.

I'm kinda 50/50 on either going autoxing or meeting you there early. I kinda would like to go over the car butreally would like to get better at driving biggrin.gif

I think the bolts for the tranny mount bolts may be a bit short. I might want to address that tomorrow. I had to take a washer off one end to get it fully threaded.
i love porsche
ill be at church from 8-12....next time...
Dominic L
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Jul 22 2006, 11:47 AM) *

QUOTE(rmital @ Jul 22 2006, 11:31 AM) *

I'm kinda 50/50 on either going autoxing or meeting you there early. I kinda would like to go over the car butreally would like to get better at driving biggrin.gif

I vote autocross! biggrin.gif Ya know Vince and I will be @ Giants stadium for a Sunday Drive!! driving.gif
turboman808
QUOTE(Dominic L @ Jul 22 2006, 02:52 PM) *

I vote autocross! biggrin.gif Ya know Vince and I will be @ Giants stadium for a Sunday Drive!! driving.gif

Yeah I probably will. I think I should be doing a little better this time. Suspension feels a bit better and I got wider tires. Still not running race tires though. I'll wait til next year and get the big baller fiske or kinesis wheels with advans or some shit. (although I was ofered a raise at work and I could have got them but I turned it down)
Dominic L
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Jul 22 2006, 03:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Dominic L @ Jul 22 2006, 02:52 PM) *

Yeah I probably will. I think I should be doing a little better this time. Suspension feels a bit better and I got wider tires. Still not running race tires though. I'll wait til next year and get the big baller fiske or kinesis wheels with advans or some shit. (although I was ofered a raise at work and I could have got them but I turned it down)

Cool. See you tomorrow. And if you still feel the need to wrench, Giants stadium is only a few minutes from Lyndhurst! Vince is closing in on me! He beat me once @ Bridgewater and was within 1 tenth of a second of my time this past Sunday @ the PCA AX. (Note to self: GO FASTER!) No more driving tips for him. alfred.gif
turboman808
Hey you guys should have stopped by the autox. You could have watched me spin my car like a top all afternoon.

I kinda forgot how to drive the car and tried to drive it like my civic. Didn't work to well. First corner I did the biggest spinout ever!!!
ptravnic
Things took a bit longer than anticipated. The screw that holds the points in would not go back in - somehow the first couple threads got stripped when unscrewing it... After about 45 mins of fussing we (Ray & I) decided to rob the green car...

We both had places to get to after noon so about 12:30 we wrapped things up and headed out.

Ray's car = damn nice!
rmital
Thanks for the help Pete....

amazing how different the car performs by making that minor change in the dwell angle. (from 54^ to 44^)

I going to post elsewhere..but if anyone knows the size/type of the screw that holds in the points, please reply. Need to replace the one we stole from my 1.7L.

jet1
You guys going to try and meet any time soon? this weekend or next? I have been very busy, but things seem to be calming down.

icon_bump.gif
ptravnic
Seems we might be meeting up sometime in the next few weeks (not this w'end tho b/c I'm outta town) because I burned a valve and need to put on a fresh pair of heads. The heads will be out of the shop and ready to roll sometime next week.

The job (if I can get garage space in the area which chef may be able to sort out sorted out) will consist of removing heater equip, removing muffler/headers, disconnect speedo & clutch cable, disconnect shifter, disconnect FI, drop engine, replace heads.

While the engine is dropped, I'm going to replace a few seals that may be causing a leak (oil seals, main crankshaft seal, etc).

Installation is the reverse of removal...heh, heh, heh

It's a lot of work - possibly too much for a day but we'll see. I'm comfortable with all the steps up to replacing the heads. May need some expert advice. Also, a local engine guru would be nice in sorting out the oil leak. I'll have all possible seals & gaskets on hand so this should be able to get sorted.

More to come...
-pt
nycchef
sounds like dangerous work. maybe we should try to have a dr. there in case one of us gets hurt.
type11969
Do you know if the stock head gaskets are still in your engine? Are you planning on re-using them? I'm on the lapping cyls to head bandwagon (no gasket), I've done that with the last few T1 and t4 engines I've built with good results. Of course if you ditch the gasket you will have to shim the base of the cyl. Anyway, hopefully I'll be able to make this next one, but this month isn't looking good. I'd love to wrench on a 914 that has the potential to drive in the near future!

-Chris
ptravnic
No stock gaskets. The lapping method might be the way to go but I think there were some thin gaskets that were used when it was rebuilt 4yrs ago along w/a permatex (I think?) type of sealant. This is where my experience lacks. You knowledge would be a great help. Maybe we can work around your schedule if your willing to get in the mix. All this is at least a few weeks away.

-pt
i love porsche
sounds like fun! ill be sure to be there

and in the near future we gotta get my teener on the lift and strip the underside and coat it...to get one step closer =]
Dr Evil
I may be able to make it and help. I have done this job a few times for others and myself.
type11969
Yeah, I'd like to "get in the mix", I've been disappointed that I've missed the past NE events, but this summer has been pretty crazy. Its looking like the next available weekend for me is probably either late august or september.

You might try to find some cyl base gaskets that are the thickness of the stock head gaskets, if we are going to try to get this done all in one day or one weekend, these gaskets can always be thrown in on a stock engine to ensure that the piston won't collide with a valve or that the CR won't be too high. Otherwise, deck height measuring, head ccing, and parts ordering might delay the process. If we have the garage time, it would be worth it to do this anyway though. Just some thoughts.

-Chris
ptravnic
QUOTE(type11969 @ Aug 1 2006, 07:31 PM) *

Yeah, I'd like to "get in the mix", I've been disappointed that I've missed the past NE events, but this summer has been pretty crazy. Its looking like the next available weekend for me is probably either late august or september.

You might try to find some cyl base gaskets that are the thickness of the stock head gaskets, if we are going to try to get this done all in one day or one weekend, these gaskets can always be thrown in on a stock engine to ensure that the piston won't collide with a valve or that the CR won't be too high. Otherwise, deck height measuring, head ccing, and parts ordering might delay the process. If we have the garage time, it would be worth it to do this anyway though. Just some thoughts.

-Chris

Good points Chris. I'll make sure to have different sized gaskets (shims) on hand when we get down and dirty. They're cheap enough so I'll get a variety. The w'end of 26-Aug is a tentative date... More to come in the next couple days.

-pt
ptravnic
For those following this thread, I've posted a new one for a fun engine drop & head replacement...

The subject title reads:

"Northeast Wrenching Revisited"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.