Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Northeast wrenching
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
rmital
....today was a great start to something that could become habit forming. We have been granted access to a shop for Saturday/Sunday wrenching get-togethers. Hopefully this could be a monthly happening.
rmital
Plenty of room and lift time.......
rmital
this place is heaven....lots of room to breath....
rmital
today we had a nice crowd:

i love porsche - Aaron
nycchef - Rich
ptravnic - Pete
Leo Imperial
and me Ray Mital

Today's mission, valve adjustment on chef's teener.....
wertygrog
cool! Let me know if you need a spare wrench monkey this summer!

Brent (in SE MA)
rmital
Pete's taking the lead on this one....explaining how to get right up there in that tight space.....
rmital
this guy is good.....
rmital
Chef's car spent most of the day on the lift....once we finished the valves, replaced the fuel pump....
rmital
Pete's car waited patiently......
rmital
...while Aaron's 924 sunned itself out front.
rmital
Last but not least...my wounded 914 watched on the side lines. We're all thinking winter "group" project, getting it back on the road.
rmital
another view....probably not as bad as thought....well...maybe....
rmital
QUOTE(wertygrog @ Jun 17 2006, 06:22 PM) *

cool! Let me know if you need a spare wrench monkey this summer!

Brent (in SE MA)

I'll bump this thread the next time we plan on getting together....all wrench monkey's welcome.
turboman808
Dam wish I knew I would have came down. I need to do header wrap and just don't feel like laying on my back in the driveway. A lift would be nice.

Guys got to let me know!!!

Where was this anyways?
rmital
Lyndhurst NJ...only about 20 or 30 minutes from you. let you know next time...probably in a couple weeks...if not next Sunday.
nycchef
thanks to ray. pete.drew, leo and movie time cars for a great day and a great place to work finally my 914 demons are really on the run. can't wait for the next one.
Rand
This is the cool stuff. More of what this club is made of. Thanks gang. smilie_pokal.gif

Of course, this photo is my fave....

IPB Image Nice. laugh.gif
drewvw

smilie_pokal.gif

nice job representing for the north eastern crowd! You guys keep that going and I will definitely come down one weekend to say hey....

chef, how's she run now?

ptravnic
What a good time! - Thanks Ray & Chef for organizing. Lots of good things can come out of that space. I've never had access to a lift before so that is quite a treat.

The green monster is def going to have to be put back on the road - especially after looking at the work you did on the longs and the undercarriage. I wish my shell was as solid as that... Hell, a new RF quarter panel, new rear and new rear deck lid and that thing is back to the paint shop!!!

Here's another pic of Chef implementing his newfound valve adjusting knowledge...

Click to view attachment

Chef - Any probs getting home from where we split off?
ptravnic
And here's a pic of the new puppy.... His name is "The Captain".

Click to view attachment
dtravni
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Jun 18 2006, 07:59 AM) *

And here's a pic of the new puppy.... His name is "The Captain".

Click to view attachment

"Northeast wrenching, Let's make this a habit.....

Dear "Northeast wenchers" - did you mean "habit" -or- ... (ahem) ...
ADDICTION ???

Seriously, it looks like youse guys got somethin' super goin' =
DO-DO-DO keep it up - but for 1500 mi (i'm stuck out here in the
interior) i'd have been there & lovin' it. just a suggestion, RMITAL` - "Tyke"
has to feed his putt-putt (known as "Piglet") a steady diet of octane booster
- looks to me like an investment in Pepto Bismal might be in order
to keep this unfortunate green thingie happy ...

: )

dtravni givemebeer.gif
JPB
QUOTE(rmital @ Jun 17 2006, 10:25 PM) *

this guy is good.....

This very thing happened to me last winter. I started the car and a man got stuck in the cooling fan! Damn street bums!
i love porsche
this was tons of fun being there on saturday, even though progress on my car has been practically non existent, i just loved being able to do SOMETHING...no matter whos car it was...we definetly need to make a habit out of this...
type11969
I'll definitely try to make it next time. What about before/after this:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=53265&st=20

Anyone actually know if the above was made "official"?

-Chris
Leo Imperial
Great to see you guys.
Sorry I couldn't stay long.
Not bad for the first round, but not enough beer3.gif
We can fix that.
It was nice to see all that rust in one place smile.gif
ptravnic
Leo - Can you post a couple of the pics you took?

Also, the "new" fuel pump we swapped turned out to be pumping 70psi!!! Turns out it was a 911 pump - we musta swapped the things 3 or 4 times before checking the pressure and then realizing the old one was not getting a good ground. We were a bunch of monkey's scratching our heads... but then we rigged a lil copper wire between the bracket and the pump itself to ensure a good ground and got the car back on the road...

i love porsche
yes chris, im still up for the july first get together at the whiskey cafe...how about a sign in here
Leo Imperial
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Jun 19 2006, 03:19 PM) *

Leo - Can you post a couple of the pics you took?

Also, the "new" fuel pump we swapped turned out to be pumping 70psi!!! Turns out it was a 911 pump - we musta swapped the things 3 or 4 times before checking the pressure and then realizing the old one was not getting a good ground. We were a bunch of monkey's scratching our heads... but then we rigged a lil copper wire between the bracket and the pump itself to ensure a good ground and got the car back on the road...

I'll try to post them tonight from home.
I knew that pump didn't look right. It was way bigger than the original.
Did the car run better when it left or when it came in?
ptravnic
QUOTE(Leo Imperial @ Jun 19 2006, 11:30 AM) *

I knew that pump didn't look right. It was way bigger than the original.
Did the car run better when it left or when it came in?

Rich was having a bit of trouble getting power in the first few minutes of our drive toward the freeway but it cleared up and he seemed A-OK up to where we split off (I had to run to Home Depot - a man's job is never done). He's still having some idle/tuning issues. Thats not much of a surprise though being that it was "tuned" w/o having the valves adjusted. He prob just needs to start from the beginning & get a dwell on there to adjust the timing, then go through the FI pieces one by one to test each is working correctly. I tried to get the idle to behave by adjusting the air screw and moving the knob on the ECU but those are just band aid fixes to keep him from stalling out and should get him moving for the time being. Bring on Paul Brad Anders' D-Jet writeup!!

-pt
type11969
Hopefully it is more than just you and me Aaron considering neither of us have a working 914!

What do you think about doing some wrenching before or after the Whiskey Cafe (both?) at this garage? Or are they far apart?

-Chris
jet1
icon_bump.gif

Nice to see some northeast people get together! If you guys keep it up I may just have to take a drive down.
jet1
QUOTE(rmital @ Jun 17 2006, 06:31 PM) *

Last but not least...my wounded 914 watched on the side lines. We're all thinking winter "group" project, getting it back on the road.

Ray,
keep us posted on the next wrenching get together. If I can make it down I will bring a fender I cut off a parts car. I also have a rear section that is in poor condition, but you may be able to use part of it for the trunk repair.

Keith
Leo Imperial
Better late than never.
Here are some pics from the first monthly wrench.
Got a nice group picture
rmital
QUOTE(jet1 @ Jun 24 2006, 11:34 AM) *

QUOTE(rmital @ Jun 17 2006, 06:31 PM) *

Ray,
keep us posted on the next wrenching get together. If I can make it down I will bring a fender I cut off a parts car. I also have a rear section that is in poor condition, but you may be able to use part of it for the trunk repair.

Keith

Excellent Keith...the fender would be great!
I hoping for July 1st. welder.gif
jet1
I can't make it down for the 1st. I wanted to come wrench and go to the whiskey cafe, but I allready made plans to go to Cape Cod for the weekend. The next time after the 1st I will drive down for sure. So keep up the wrenching and I will see you guys one of these days.

BTW I will check and see if I have any of the front headlight parts that you will need also.

Keith
rmital
getting together tomorrow, Saturday July 1...about noon.
nycchef fuel pump relocation.

reply to this thread if you could make it or have any questions about location.

I check in later on this afternoon......
turboman808
QUOTE(rmital @ Jun 30 2006, 09:02 AM) *

getting together tomorrow, Saturday July 1...about noon.
nycchef fuel pump relocation.

reply to this thread if you could make it or have any questions about location.

I check in later on this afternoon......

Yeah I just need directions and even better a google map link!
Dr Evil
I am gonna try to make it to one of these towards the end of July if you have on then.
ptravnic
Any chance for this w'end?

Ray - any chance of getting some garage time this w'end?
rmital
...I'm finding out now...or waiting to hear back Movie Time's schedule. Soprano's started shooting again, so they're actually pretty busy over there....welding rigging on cars....

..which probably wouldn't be bad, we'd just have to let them have priority over space and lift...since it's their place...

I would probably shoot for Sunday morning.
ptravnic
Sunday AM would be groovy.

The nerve of those GENEROUS garage owners getting in the way of us borrowing THEIR space for our recreational purposes... Jeesh!

biggrin.gif
jet1
did you guys meet over the weekkend( 8th,9th)? what does the next couple of weekends look like? I know I can't make it this saturday, but sunday might work. how early in the AM are you talking?

When do you guys think you will start body work on the green car?

and icon_bump.gif
ptravnic
Both of your Q's will have to be answered by Ray. This is just a shameless icon_bump.gif
rmital
QUOTE(jet1 @ Jul 12 2006, 03:41 PM) *

did you guys meet over the weekkend( 8th,9th)?

nope....

QUOTE(jet1 @ Jul 12 2006, 03:41 PM) *

what does the next couple of weekends look like?
When do you guys think you will start body work on the green car?

not this weekend, domestic stuff getting in the way..but hopefully the next weekend or the following we could get some time over at the garage.

jet1...if you bring along the front fender, we could start attacking the green one.

I'll be sure to update the situation next week. PM me if any questions or what day might be better....
ptravnic
Poop!

O well, I'll just have to look fwd to next w'end. I can make either Sat or Sun - prefer AM as opposed to later in the day.
i love porsche
im going on vacation this saturday to next....hope i dont miss anything...
turboman808
Any chance of wrenching this saturday. Got a few things I'd like to do. Get that header wrap in and install wevo mounts. Then hopefully get that shifter working right.

Oh I got the reverse lockout put in last night. Works really nice. No more nicking reverse in a down shift.
ws91420
So is that a movie car from Talladega Nights in the background.
rmital
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Jul 19 2006, 04:33 PM) *

Any chance of wrenching this saturday.

...Sunday morning might be more do'able. Especially if rain is in the forcast. (finishing up the softball season this weekend, then I get my life back)....
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(JPB @ Jun 18 2006, 10:17 AM) *

QUOTE(rmital @ Jun 17 2006, 10:25 PM) *

this guy is good.....

This very thing happened to me last winter. I started the car and a man got stuck in the cooling fan! Damn street bums!

I hate when that happens.

Cool of that shop owner to let you guys use his space, a lift can be real handy on a bottem loader.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.