Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Great racing/driving quotes, post your fav
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
mrdezyne
Sorry if this might be a repost, I didn't really do an extensive search but these were too good not to share.

"Racing is life, anything that happens before or after is is just waiting" – Steve McQueen

About Ayrton Senna - Even Senna confessed he occasionally went too far, as was the case in qualifying for the 1988 Monaco Grand Prix, where he became a passenger on a surreal ride into the unknown. Already on pole, he went faster and faster and was eventually over two seconds quicker than Prost in an identical McLaren. "Suddenly, it frightened me," Ayrton said, "because I realised I was well beyond my conscious understanding. I drove back slowly to the pits and did not go out anymore that day."-

"Racing is an addiction that makes heroin look like a longing for something salty." Peter Egan

"You can't win a race on your first lap, but you can lose it then"

"The first automobile race happened on the day the second car was made"

"I've tried everything other than jumping out of a plane, but nothing gives you an adrenaline rush like racing a car."
-Nigel Mansell

"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountaineering are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Earnest Hemingway

"You win some, lose some, and wreck some."
-Dale Earnhardt

"Nobody remembers who finished second but the guy who finished second."
- Bobby Unser

“When I raced a car last it was at a time when sex was safe and racing was dangerous. Now, it’s the other way round.”
- Hans Stuck

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.
-Gilles Villeneuve

After a IROC race at a super speedway a few years ago, one of the non- NASCAR drivers complained about the amount of bumping going on during the race. Bill Elliott told a reporter after he heard about the complaint "If he didn't want to swap a little paint, what's he doing out there?" I loved that

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.
-Mario Andretti

"No, it will never have enough power until I can spin the wheels at the end of the straightaway in high gear"
- Mark Donohue on the Can Am Porsche 917

"It is better to go into a corner slow and come out fast than to go into a corner fast and come out dead." - Stirling Moss

URY914
Bang!

Peter Gregg, 1980
eeyore
"Compared to motorcycles, cars are for wankers" -- FIM board member (Jackie Stewart?)
theol00
a couple of old racers on cheating:"...what do you mean cheating? ...I thought we was racing.... or are you trying to go to heaven?"
Joe Ricard
"It is better to go into a corner slow and come out fast than to go into a corner fast and come out dead." - Stirling Moss
Ain't that the truth.
groot
"So that's my point ­ and I'll stand up and punch anyone who says otherwise!" David Kennedy (F1 reject)

Lots of gold at this site: F1 Rejects website
KaptKaos
QUOTE(mrdezyne @ Jun 20 2006, 09:15 AM) *

"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountaineering are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Earnest Hemingway

This has always been one of my favorite quotes.
porschecb
"Second place is the first car to lose" biggrin.gif
maf914
"Sam, you're wrong."

Typical response from Bobby Unser to observations made by Sam Posey during Indy car broadcasts on ABC. Always made me laugh. laugh.gif
brant
how about:

"I'm an excellent driver"
rainman

or even better:
"brant is so much faster than me"
aaron

sportlicherFahrer
Not really a "racing" quote, but still funny!

"Some aspects of NASCAR racing should be legal for road use. For instance, if somebody cuts you off it should be legal to get up under 'em, bust 'em loose, and put 'em into the wall." - Jeff Foxworthy (I believe)
mrdezyne
In the movie The Gumball Rally (1976), as the Italian driver of the Ferrari Daytona Spyder gets into the car for the first time, he rips the rear view mirror off of the car and then he says “What’s behind me is not important!”.

dinomium
"This is the most exciting Daytona 500..."
Rusty Wallace at the Indy 500
SLKWrx
A.J. Foyt on suggestions that stock cars be slowed down by mechanical alterations:
"Race cars are built to run fast, if you want to slow up, all you ahve to do is lift that foot."

And one of my favorites:

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"
--Unknown
mrdezyne
"Aerodynamics are for those that can't build engines"... Enzo Ferrari
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(brant @ Jun 20 2006, 11:24 AM) *

how about:

"I'm an excellent driver"
rainman

or even better:
"brant is so much faster than me"
aaron

"i wish my car was as nice as aaron's!"
brant

"my chalon will destroy everyones car! (in a jackstand race) "
-anonymous- LOL
dinomium
Well, I DO believe that racecars should turn both left AND right!

Paul Newman
brant
geezz....
I didn't think you were paying attention..

Wish I was going to make it the the WCC to buy you a beer sir!
(you are old enough to drink right?)

brant
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(brant @ Jun 20 2006, 12:08 PM) *

geezz....
I didn't think you were paying attention..

Wish I was going to make it the the WCC to buy you a beer sir!
(you are old enough to drink right?)

brant

wrong on both accts... sad.gif

cant make wcc... and my fake id says im 21 smile.gif
anderssj

"In like a lamb, out like a lion" John Buffum (US rally driver, 11 championships, 100+ wins)

"Friends don't let friends apex early" Steve Pease (friend and former Formula Vee amateur, ca 1991)
brant

wrong on both accts... sad.gif

cant make wcc... and my fake id says im 21 smile.gif

no lotto for me this week...
can't contribute to the delinquency of a minor or I get fired!

buy ya a lemonade then!
come to RRC?
brant
Howard
'Ya can't make a race car out of a pig, but ya can make a really fast pig.'

Caroll Shelby on the 930 Turbo
Elliot_Cannon
"Sam Posey?" "Sam Posey?" "What the hell kinda name is Sam Posey?"

Parnelli Jones, Riverside Raceway, after seeing a list of drivers names. (About 1965 I think.) Apparently "Rufus" wasn't one to mince words.

Cheers, Elliot

URY914
'There is no terrible way to win. There's only winning.' - Jean-Pierre Sarti (Yves Montand), Grand Prix
reverie
You have to want it!!

- bright gilt lettering on the dash of the black Gene Berg racecar, right next to the big Autometer tach.. smile.gif
Rrrockhound
"Understeer is when you hit the outside wall head first. Oversteer is when you hit the outside wall tail first."

-Junior Johnson
brer
"get the big ferrari ready"

spoken just before a fatal accident after crashing a first ferrari at the Paramount Ranch track. 1960's

that would be 1950's.
its all the same to me.
mikeatrpi
A photo in PS of "Road and Track" pictured a wrecked Ferrari 512BB on a snowy day with the owner standing on the shoulder. The caption said "Good tires, " Bob mused while casually lighting a cigarette, " but certainly not great tires".
reverie
LOL! biggrin.gif PS has some great stuff..
john rogers
How about:

- Keep the wheels outa the klagg

- Any fool can go fast in a straight line, a skilled fool can go as fast around a corner.

- I can't shit in the morning before I walk at least a mile! A.J. Foyt's first live interview when asked why he was walking the track.
URY914
"Pete, Do you sometimes get tired? Of the driving? Lately I have been getting tired. Very tired."

Can you name who said this and when?
URY914
Stewart to Purley, "where do you brake for the esses?"

Purley, "What do you mean, brake?"
URY914
I love this one...

"Why doesn't someone tell Pedro it's raining" - Chris Amon, 1000km Brands Hatch 1970 -

Pedro was driving a 917.
jimtab
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jun 20 2006, 06:13 PM) *

"Pete, Do you sometimes get tired? Of the driving? Lately I have been getting tired. Very tired."

Can you name who said this and when?

Jean-paul to Pete in Grand Prix////duh! blink.gif
PatW
Repoter to famous motorcycle racer Gary Nixon..

"Why did you loose the race today?, they were faster than me" chairfall.gif
brer
"Irish coffee!"

Herbie biggrin.gif
mrdezyne
another collection, I like some of these....

"I knew that I have been beatten by the best driver in the world"
Rene Ardoux reffering to Gilles Villeneuve. French GP

"Do not give me double the power, give me half the weight" --- Colin Chapman

More from Chapman:

* "Simplicate, then add lightness."

* "You won't catch me driving a race car that I have built." (This remark was obviously tongue-in-cheek, as numerous photos exist
of Chapman driving racing cars that he built.)

* "Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust
it wrong -- look what they can do to a Weber carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."

* "To add speed, add lightness."

* "Any car which holds together for more than a race is
too heavy."
(Also tongue-in-cheek, as race cars must test and qualify before the
start of any race.)

* "Accountants are the scorers of industry; they have nothing to do with playing the game."
(Probably not so tongue-in-cheek, as Chapman was implicated in the
DeLorean scandal shortly before his death.)

"The lead car is absolutely unique, except for the one behind it which is identical" Murray Walker

George Robson, Winner of the 1946 Indy 500: "All I had to do is keep turning left!"

"Flat out until you see God, count to three, then brake."--- Anonymous

"Everyone behind me is an incredibly talented driver - Everyone in front of me is cheating!" --- Bill Haney

Betty
"You drive the car, you don't carry it."
- Janet Guthrie

"The winner ain't the one with the fastest car, it's the one who refuses to lose."
- Dale Earnhardt

"We're the Grateful Dead of Motorsports!"
- USLMRA (United States Lawn Mower Racing Association) President, Bruce Kaufman

dinomium
That guy's got to stop... He'll see us
James Dean on the way to go racing..
Randal
This is one that Rob Neidel (autox chief instructor)always says when we are talking to students; attributing the quote to Emerson Fittapaldi.

Most drivers take the slow corners to fast and the fast corners to slow.
hybridhunter
The danger? Well, of course. But you are missing a very important point. I think if any of us imagined -- really imagined -- what it would be like to go into a tree at 150 miles per hour we would probably never get into the cars at all, none of us. So it has always seemed to me that to do something very dangerous requires a certain absence of imagination.
~ Jean-Pierre Sarti, Grand Prix (1966)

But officer, it’s only a four-cylinder

"if I had all the money I ever spent on cars...I'd spend it all on cars"
xitspd
My boss and winner (solo) of the Baja 1000 in a class 8 truck co-drove in a later Baja 1000 with Parnelli Jones. Parnelli's instructions to Larry at the driver change was "Minor, just don't take one in the grill". Short but sweet, Parnelli style!

Dan
GaroldShaffer
"You mean those Fathers are not fathers.... they're Mothers" Dom DeLuise to Burt Reynolds talking about the Dean Martin & Sammy Davis Jr. in the Cannon Ball Run biggrin.gif
Thorshammer

Carl Fogarty World Superbike Champion was asked this question at the Isle of Mann, about his fellow riders:

"ah, cahl, are thehr any haard men in WSB?"

"nah, no haard men, well mahybe Jim Moodie, but no, not hard men, don't git me wrong, there's alot of purse throwing, but no hard men".

"Second place in the first loser", pick anyone, don't know who said it first.

"Ah, Erik, it's the same but different !" Neil Hodgson to me after a Donington Park test session. (I had only added 10 clicks of compression damping WTF).

My response: "Here's 20 quid, tonight after we finish, could you go buy some feel, cause you don't have any."

There's no way Wally goes through that turn in 3rd, it just won't spool up quick enough" Hans Jochen Stuck.

Stucky learned the technique of left foot braking on that very day.

"Tyronne, I think you dun blowed up another one." One of the first people I ever worked for, telling a customer he sent another con rod out of a CB 750 crankcase.

Tyronne's response was perfect, MY NAME IS TYRON, not TY RONE. I thought he was going to have a coronary right there and then.

Ride it like you stole it. Drive it like you stole it. Unknown, but good.

Erik Madsen

Trekkor
"I thought I had it"

Rick Knoop ( after crashing )

KT
JMDAZED
If it's got tits or wheels, it'll give you problems!
jimtab
The older I get.....the faster I was. I think Buddy Baker

Brake testing a can-am car from 0 to 100 to 0 to 100 to 0 is both the most fun and the worst beating I've ever taken. Peter Revson at the sf car show bar drinking my scotch...a magic moment....he died a few months later.
rcrgrl
when the green flag drops... the bullshit stops....
smile.gif
Howard
"Captain! I'm givin' her all she's GOT!!!"

Scotty to Kirk when unable to catch the Klingon vessel.
motorphotog
“Can’t you F%$#$*KERS push any faster”

Said by Dan Gurney after spinning out at turn 3A and getting a push start from the turn workers, during the only USAC race run at Seattle Intl Raceways.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.