Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: where to buy exhaust & turbo flanges?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
airsix
Hey guys,
I'm going to run a turbo on my -4 for a season or two because the local club rules are just begging for it. Hopefully by then the six will be ready to go in. Anyway, the EFI has been on and running for almost a year and I've got all the turbo parts - just need to plumb it all together, and I need flanges.

Anybody know a good source for turbo and exhaust flanges? It's an IHI turbo. Haven't had much luck so far with the header people.

-Ben
Mueller
Hey Ben....

http://www.uniquemotorsports.com/products/.../IHI_flange.htm

IPB Image
IPB Image
airsix
Thanks Mike. I might go with these if I don't find anything else. The problem is there is no cutout for the wastegate. It looks like these were cut for someone using an external wastegate rather than the stock type. Thanks though.

-Ben
Sammy
There's a complete turbo set up for a 2 liter for sale in the recycler www.recycler.com for $800 obo, it's a rough version of the one I built. It uses a pull through system with a weber side draft identical to what I had. the only real difference is cosmetic and his is also set up for water injection. Mine ran just dandy at 7 psi and was happy at anything under 11 psi.

The guy sent me some pictures, I'll post them tonight when I get home.
L8Apex
check out my friend's shop.

ATP Turbo
Brad Roberts
This is where all the race shops get their collectors and stainless pieces. I personally would use stainless steel 320 wall.

http://www.burnsstainless.com/

B
Brad Roberts
I decided to reply again.

I really really want to be involved with the production of a Turbo header for the 914.

Give me the specs on your turbo (everything) so I can determine what length the primaries need to be. We have the original engine and trans "jig" that was used for the 914 SSI's... so I have a good start. We also obviously have the tooling for the stub flanges to head.

B
airsix
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Feb 25 2003, 09:39 PM)
I decided to reply again.

I really really want to be involved with the production of a Turbo header for the 914.

Give me the specs on your turbo (everything) so I can determine what length the primaries need to be. We have the original engine and trans "jig" that was used for the 914 SSI's... so I have a good start. We also obviously have the tooling for the stub flanges to head.

B

I REALLY like what you are planning to do, but I'm just working on a junkyard turbo to keep me happy while I'm gathering six conversion parts. Low-buck, low-tech all the way.

As far as primary tube length, I'm not even going to worry about it on my project. There are so many packaging problems to solve that they are just going to end up being whatever length gets them plumbed to where I need them. I'm just using cut up 1.7 heat exchangers. Stubs would be nice, but... I'm too cheap. Like JP says, "cheep is gud".

Just FYI I am placing the turbo directly opposite the starter. This is a nice location in that it keeps the turbo out of the engine compartment and keeps the primaries relatively short, albeit quite unequal (not such a big deal). Only cutting is to pass pre/post-turbo intake and oil line through the right-rear engine tin upright. Downside is that there isn't much height for oil drainback (but enough), and packaging. You look up there and think there's all sorts of room, but once you start stuffing the turbo and plumbing in there it gets really tight.

If the header isn't overly ugly when I finish I'll send you all the pictures you want if it'll help in your R&D efforts (file under "design techniques to avoid"?) blink.gif
Mueller
Ben,

What model turbo do you have? I got mine from Sammy...he sourced it from a wreckers in LA, but I forget which car he took it from...I though it was from a Chyrsler car, but now I am thinking it is from an early Subaru.

I do know mine is also an IHA FV
The following numbers are on mine:

IHA FV 48704

I'm trying to figure out which FV model it is.

A guy on eBay is selling IHI flanges laser cut out of 3/8" steel....he might be able to make one with the proper blowoff opening.....it seems a lot of the places that hop up the turbos recommend a remote BOV so that is why the plate only has the opening for the exhaust.
airsix
Hi Mike,
Mine is a IHI VF48903 from a Subaru 1.8.
The VF48's are supose to be good turbos for 1.6-2.0 litre motors making 80-205hp. This was about the best fit I could find for my 1.7 with a target of 150hp.

-Ben
jonwatts
I was going to say make your own but after looking at what Mueller posted, buy one of those and just modify the opening to include the internal wastegate. I have the flange you need but I'm going to be using it myself.
rolleyes.gif

My adapter kit from Kennedy arrives on Monday. I'm as giddy as a little girl!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.