Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question about the throwout bearing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brer
replaced the bearing and the plastic cup in the arm today.
The way that arm is designed is pretty cool.

But i'm wondering what the standard lubrication is for the inner surface on the bearing and the plastic cup? Is that cup a dry fitting?
Brad Roberts
I have used a high temp wheel bearing grease for years... but... I believe they are designed to be installed dry.

The grease traps dirt and promotes premature wear.

B
bob91403
QUOTE(brer @ Jun 20 2006, 10:27 PM) *

replaced the bearing and the plastic cup in the arm today.
The way that arm is designed is pretty cool.

But i'm wondering what the standard lubrication is for the inner surface on the bearing and the plastic cup? Is that cup a dry fitting?

A little bit of moly grease is all you need. Cup? Should be two plastic retainers. The thowout bearing itself is sealed and prelubed. A little bit of moly on the tube, and the pivot points of the fork is all you need.
Bleyseng
A dap of molygrease in the plastic cup and on the pilot shaft tube for smooth operation. Note a dap not freakin ton of grease as it will just load up with clutch dust and stick! rolleyes.gif
brer
The bearing has what looks like a grease groove on the inside surface.
so I used a little in there.

Was hesitant to put anything anywhere as i figured that the clutch dust would just stick to it and mess it all up.

davep
QUOTE(bob91403 @ Jun 20 2006, 10:02 PM) *

Cup? Should be two plastic retainers.

If'n you don't know about the cup, you better learn fast. The pivot ball sits in the cup and the cup has a hard life. It wears out quicky, and should be replaced with every clutch change. A tiny amount of grease on the ball is enough. I don't lube anything else. Grease anywhere else tends to attract dirt and causes more wear than a lack of lubrication. I think the groove mentioned acts more like a guide to wear on the bearing, and reduces the friction of the bearing on the tube by reducing surface area. Make sure the plastic bushings on the bearing are in good shape also. If they are worn the bearing is too loose and you will get more rapid wear.
Bleyseng
Brer, I'll see your green frog and raise you one blue frog.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(davep @ Jun 21 2006, 09:14 AM) *
If'n you don't know about the cup, you better learn fast. The pivot ball sits in the cup and the cup has a hard life. It wears out quicky, and should be replaced with every clutch change.

When I had my engine out last, the cup looked good--and it did not want to come out, so I left it alone.

I just recently replaced the clutch on the car. The cup looked fine, still, and it really did not want to come out! I had to break it into a bunch of pieces with a hammer and chisel to get it out. I actually scored the bore where the bushing lives in two spots by doing this...

Maybe I'm just lucky? Unlucky?

--DD
Bleyseng
No, you just like doing things the hard way! alfred.gif
brer
I replaced all the plastic clips and cups so i'm set.
as far as getting the cup out I stuck in a chisel i had, gave it half a turn and pry'd it out. easy.

now i'm looking for a good quality clutch disk.
there are some polish Sachs on ebay... but i'm not sure about those.
brer
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jun 21 2006, 09:18 AM) *

Brer, I'll see your green frog and raise you one blue frog.

your frog is ugly.
I like the color though.

kind of like my car!
bob91403
QUOTE(davep @ Jun 21 2006, 09:14 AM) *

QUOTE(bob91403 @ Jun 20 2006, 10:02 PM) *

Cup? Should be two plastic retainers.

If'n you don't know about the cup, you better learn fast. The pivot ball sits in the cup and the cup has a hard life. It wears out quicky, and should be replaced with every clutch change. A tiny amount of grease on the ball is enough. I don't lube anything else. Grease anywhere else tends to attract dirt and causes more wear than a lack of lubrication. I think the groove mentioned acts more like a guide to wear on the bearing, and reduces the friction of the bearing on the tube by reducing surface area. Make sure the plastic bushings on the bearing are in good shape also. If they are worn the bearing is too loose and you will get more rapid wear.
Oh, cup! You mean the plastic bushing that goes on the pivot ball. Just never heard it called a cup before. Yes, a little dab'l do you.
Mike D.
Don't forget to instal a dime under the plastic cup to shorten the throw. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.