Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What am I missing here?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
East coaster
I assmebled my doors and there's a big gap between the window trim and the little end cap. The cap does not appear to be damaged/broken or missing anything and both driver and passenger sides are the same.

Is there something else missing here? This gap can't be right. It's a '74 body for reference.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
the endcap is correct for a '74. it appears the seal was cut for an early door.

when i got my new seals they were too long and i had to cut them myself to fit.
are those seal brand new?

you *can* stretch the seals quite a bit, but that looks like a pretty big gap you got there. how does it fit in the front?

idea.gif Andy
BigDBass
popcorn[1].gif
My seals look like that too. 1/2 an inch or so on either side on both doors.
Midtowner
The rubber shrinks. Mine did after the car was sitting in the garage for 16 years. I installed new ones but you may have to cut one of the ends to fit properly. Also, be careful not to chip or crack the end cap. I believe they are NLA or very expensive. My $0.02. smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Jun 21 2006, 09:57 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif
My seals look like that too. 1/2 an inch or so on either side on both doors.

as i said, you can stretch them quite a bit. center them so you have an equal gap front/end and then work them from the center to the sides using your thumb ...
they'll stretch ...

but my point was, my new seals were too long for my early doors and i had to cut them down.
they would have been a almost perfect fit for a late door ...

i got mine from HPH ...
smile.gif Andy
rhodyguy
door window seals (squeegees) are cheap. the bird gets $9.25 each. there are both left and rights. 70-76. use glycerin to help slide them in. the problem with stretching them is, the squeegees will want to return to their original form. if you trim to fit immediately the gap(s) might grow. run them forward so they sort of jam into the front glass guide and trim the rear a little long. you can adjust and shorten them at a later date. it's pretty hard to add material back on. get new inner fuzzy strips when you're ordering if the old ones are shot.

k
Root_Werks
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 22 2006, 08:09 AM) *

door window seals (squeegees) are cheap. the bird gets $9.25 each. there are both left and rights. 70-76. use glycerin to help slide them in. the problem with stretching them is, the squeegees will want to return to their original form. if you trim to fit immediately the gap(s) might grow. run them forward so they sort of jam into the front glass guide and trim the rear a little long. you can adjust and shorten them at a later date. it's pretty hard to add material back on. get new inner fuzzy strips when you're ordering if the old ones are shot.

k

agree.gif squeegies are cheap and the ones I have bought have all been too long. I usually squsih them and trim off as little as possible. Seems like most rubber shrinks over time anyway.
szuccaro
Had the same issue when I replaced mine... like Sir Andy says, they stretch quite a bit. Try it, you'll be surprised how much the gap will shrink once they are stretched. Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.