Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Considering 914-6 purchase
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rwjames
I have been contemplating purchasing an orginal 914-6 and have been emailing Randall Yow at VIR Gallery about this 1970 he has for sell (See link). Is anyone familiar with this car? He said it came from Arizona and it has been restored.

http://www.virgallery.com/Orange9146.html

Close up photo's show some detail issues that need attention, scratched windshield and roll bar trim, peeling paint in engine compartment, gummy looking carbs...Not local to me so I would like to do more research before making the trek.

Does anyone know anything about this car? Has anyone ever done business with Randall and what were your experiences?

Price on the car is $23,500 which seems a little high, but supply is low and demand is high. The six prices seem to keep rising on these and I'm thinking of getting in while I still can, but not sure if this is the one.

Thanks for your info and comments.
turboman808
Yep the good thing is you can buy these and turn around and get your money back if you deceide to sell.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Jun 22 2006, 12:51 PM) *

Yep the good thing is you can buy these and turn around and get your money back if you deceide to sell.

WHAT? Certificates of deposit are investments. Stocks and bonds are investments, and real estate is usually an investment. Cars are a means of transportation, and some of them are fun, but NONE of them can or should be considered an investment. We have a name for people who think cars are an investment. We call 'em "suckers". The Cap'n
lapuwali
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 22 2006, 12:58 PM) *

QUOTE(turboman808 @ Jun 22 2006, 12:51 PM) *

WHAT? Certificates of deposit are investments. Stocks and bonds are investments, and real estate is usually an investment. Cars are a means of transportation, and some of them are fun, but NONE of them can or should be considered an investment. We have a name for people who think cars are an investment. We call 'em "suckers". The Cap'n

I mostly agree, though with slight reservations. Cars that have literally become "investment-grade" (and they do exist) have ceased to be cars. They're now art, which only retain their value if the only time their wheels turn is when they're pushed on or off the trailer at Pebble Beach or the auction house.

Who would've thought Camaros would ever be $100K cars? Yet, several sell for that at Barrett-Jackson every year. I'm sure they sit in climate-controlled garages 51 weeks of the year, brought out only for shows, before they reappear at the auction house to go to the next owner. These aren't cars anymore.

turboman808
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 22 2006, 11:58 AM) *

I hardly call getting you money back an investment. But if thats how you see an investment then I feel sorry for your portfolio.
ptravnic
car = investment

chairfall.gif

if one needs this type of justification (as misguided as it may be) then one needs to rethink things...

Not to mention, $23K seems like alot for a 6 that needs work...
Joe Bob
Just drive the damn thing and brag when someone asks if it's a six....
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 22 2006, 12:58 PM) *

and real estate is usually an investment

only if you pay cash out of your pocket. otherwise, it's a *liability* until it's paid off ...

and agree.gif with you on the car part ...
smile.gif Andy
Al Meredith
At first the wheels through me, I have a real 6 and it came with chrome steel wheels 5.5 / 15 . Car looks good but I wish 20K was the going rate. I think it is high I think for that kind of money it better be a 10. Check out WWW.edmonds.com or KBB.com or pelican parts something to get a better idea. Al
Brad Roberts
I think 23.5 is high also. It might be a 18-19 car with some of the stuff that needs some detail work.

It does appear to be nice however. I like the color combo.

The wheels through me also. The cars I have seen with steel wheels were chrome also.

B
DonTraver
Actually, the stock wheels are painted. I've got my 6's stock wheels, my sted dad was still running them when I bought it from him. Chrome is a upgrade.

Later, Don
JmuRiz
Looks like there is some trunk rust, I'd check that out (at that price). You can see the rust bleed through the rear edge of the trunk carpet.
gms
I can give you history (if I have it) if you provide the VIN
Brett W
I have seen the car in person, but it was last year. It is in decent condition but not 23K decent. Everything in the VIR stable is very expensive. I would say there is a premium of 5K at least on the cars there.

There is a 356 in the barn that is listed for some insane price. I think 100k.
http://www.virgallery.com/Carimages2/HotRod2.html

I think it has a T4 in it.
rwjames
The VIN is 9140432498.

He believes it is a 2 or maybe 1 owner car. He PO told him he purchased the car in 1974, but he has paperwork or invoices going back to 1970 with the PO's name on them.

He recently performed a tune up, replaced the oil return hoses and replaced the shifter bushings. The first gear syncro is shot and the driver's seat cushion seems are rotten. A partial tool kit is included, probably missing a screwdriver or so, owner's manual included, dog bone missing, and the car was recently repainted.

He claims the car runs good and is rust free, including inner rockers and battery area. It has the original steel wheels with the correct size tires.

He is firm on the price of $23,500. Not a lot of sixes on the market, but compare price to Irish Green car in CA for $29,500, $22,000 six on Craigs list with incorrect engine and paint color, and questionable '72 six in Nevada. This car will definately need a little work to bring up to snuff, but maybe not that far off, given today's jump in prices.

What do you think?
Gustl
if this car would be here in Europe for the same price I'd be more than happy to buy it dry.gif

well, but that's another topic ... rolleyes.gif

now that we know the VIN I'm sure - this car was for sale on eBay somewhen late in 2004 or early 2005, unfortunately I just saved the pics, not the auction text sad.gif

in Oct 2005 I've found it on the VIR homepage and contacted the seller (not knowing, that's the same car than on eBay before)
he sent me about 9 MB hi-res photos with some detail shots - if you're interested, just let me know (and tell me your eMail)
I discussed the car with a friend here in Austria (who often imports cars from the States), but he told me that the overall price for me (including shipping to Austria, customs fees, getting it street legal in Austria, registration, the little work that's to do on it, ...) would raise up to somewhere in the 28-30 k EUR range (that's about 35-38 k USD)
and then, there's still the risk if the car is that good it seemed to be ...

you will agree - that's far too much blink.gif

wavey.gif Gustl
Gustl
forgot to tell you

if you're looking for a nice high-price 914-6, there is a really nice one just in the neighbourhood for SirAndy

I would love it - but same as above ... overall price till I could drive it here in Austria far too high sad.gif

wavey.gif Gustl
olav
QUOTE(Gustl @ Jun 24 2006, 03:18 AM) *

forgot to tell you

if your looking for a nice high-price 914-6, there is a really nice one just in the neighbourhood for SirAndy

I would love it - but same as above ... overall price till I could drive it here in Austria far too high sad.gif

wavey.gif Gustl

How much are they asking for this one?
Gustl
QUOTE(olav @ Jun 24 2006, 02:30 PM) *

$ 26,500

sorry, forgot to post the link IPB Image

1970 - 914-6 - matallic red

wavey.gif Gustl
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Gustl @ Jun 24 2006, 07:22 AM) *

QUOTE(olav @ Jun 24 2006, 02:30 PM) *

$ 26,500

sorry, forgot to post the link IPB Image

1970 - 914-6 - matallic red

wavey.gif Gustl

Hey Gusti! wavey.gif

I went and looked at this car and it's not really THAT nice... By that I mean it is a great 914, a 6 that has plenty of eye appeal and a VERY good ownership history. But the paint is so-so and it's hardly super clean when you get down to the details.

I guess what I am trying to say is I didn't walk away saying WOW! -- and I'd want to when spending $25-35K on a teener.

This one sure does photograph well, though....

I'd buy the black car @ $22K before this one @ $26K -- but then I haven't seen the black one in person. What Irish Green car?!?

pete
rwjames
The Irish Green car is listed in the 914world.com classifieds.

The red car scares me when I read that it had a shunt on the racetrack. Also, sounds like the incorrect engine in it. The red car looks pretty nice in the pictures, but orange is probably my favorite six color since Ravenna green wasn't available on the six.
Gustl
QUOTE(rwjames @ Jun 24 2006, 09:00 PM) *

... orange is probably my favorite six color since Ravenna green wasn't available on the six.

agree.gif same for me

so, how do you like this one
my father saw it during a holiday in Italy - and was so kind to take a photo
it participated an oldtimer rallye there
off course it's neither a factory GT nor original colour

but hey, I like it

rwjames
Now that looks like a fun driving six. Not original, but it looks great. Looks like a nice setting too.

Thanks for the pics on the orange six.
QUOTE(rwjames @ Jun 24 2006, 07:38 PM) *

Now that looks like a fun driving six. Not original, but it looks great. Looks like a nice setting too.

Thanks for the pics on the orange six.

James,
Can you post the pictutes on the orange six,It would interesting to see,The price in not that way off. Just look at the ones on the cars for sale board,Good luck on your Six.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.