Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seam Sealer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
I did search for this. Lots of threads about taking the stuff out. I did not find any about putting it back in.

What kind of seam sealer do I want to use? I finished my hell hole patching, and I want to seam seal my welds. At the moment they are just por-15ed to keep them from rusting.

What should I use?

Zach
Phoenix-MN
I've used this and found it to work well
http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=...temType=PRODUCT
rhodyguy
just paint it zack. why are you worried about seam sealer?

k
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 23 2006, 11:43 AM) *

just paint it zack. why are you worried about seam sealer?

k

Origionally I had not intended to.

I had read here somewhere the welds tend to wick up moisture even if they are painted. Also, the vids of the guys building that Datsun 240Z have them using seam sealer - and i have learned a heck of a lot from watching them work.

Zach
Dr Evil
POR-15 should be plent adequate if applied correctly. IMHO
rhodyguy
i think seam sealer has some kind of rust fertilizer in it. when i did my front trunk and pulled the seam seal...DAMN!!! spend the seam seal money on nice color match paint.

k
MarkV
I used 3M seam sealer that comes in a caulking gun tube. You can spread it with a brush & paint over it in a couple of hours.

Rand
I hate seam sealer. I have found a lot of rust under that crap on my car. If the metal is properly treated and painted well with a quality rust preventive paint, you'll be better off IMO.
wbergtho
I use 3M seam sealer and it works well. If there was no rust to start with...after it is seam sealed and painted...you definitely will keep the moisture out...thus preventing rust.
Katmanken
I definitely think you need seam sealer.

That damn wicking phenomena will suck any fluid into a narrow gap- such as that between a pair of spot welded 914 parts.

Yer car, do what you want.

Ken
Joe Owensby
3M Seam Sealer. The sealer is not to seal the welds, it is to seal the cracks between the welded panels, or any imperfections in the welds. I am disassembling my 914, and the areas that had seam sealer were much better protected than the areas that did not. I am putting the 3M stuff back. Using the brush on variety. Good luck. Joe O.
wilchek
check out eastwood, they are about 45 minutes from you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.