Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electricals Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brando
I have a question about electric flasher units. I would like to replace my incadescent bulbs/lamps with LEDs, to trim the wattage/amperage usage. I've noticed when my electrical system is under load I get a bit of extra load on my 1.8 as the alternator is working itself to death. Also when using LED lights in place of the incadescent ones, they don't pull enough amperage to trigger my OEM flasher (heat-driven).

Anyhow, does anyone make electrical flasher units? Where can I get one that I might even be able to wire in myself? I have knowledge on electrical systems (diagrams, simple circuits, etc) but nothing as complex as making my own up. Has anyone replaced their OEM flasher unit with an electrical one?

TIA.
alpha434
Go to radio shack dot com and order one of their industrial catalogs.

And it'll be really cheap too.
Brando
I found one. Not bad! Adjustable Flashing Unit.
alpha434
Excellent find, brandon. So are you going to wire all four lights through one relay or get another relay and wire 2 seperates.

To wire through one, you would put the relay before the switch in the circuit. To wire two, run two in parallel each one hooked up to each side's lights (after the switch.)

How much current do those units flow?
Brando
I think I'll run one for both sides and the hazards. This will work great with my wide-angle LED bulbs I bought oh-so-long-ago at Superbright LEDs. I'm not sure how much current they flow. Like I said, I'm no EE, I just know it has to be 12V and use <= 15 Amperes. Here's the specs from the eBay auction:

Operating Systems: 6 Volt and 12 Volt
Operating Voltage: 5 Volts to 17 Volts DC
Max Current: 15 Amperes
Max Watts: 180 Watts
Dimensions: 1.8" X 0.8" X 0.3" (aprox.)
Selectable Flash Rates:- 90, 60, 50 or 40 per Min. (aprox.)
lapuwali
The current the LEDs draw will be well under 1A. There are lots of electronic flashers available now at most FLAPs. Most of them aren't adjustable, but they're more readily available. Some of them have nice loud noisemakers to remind you they're on, so you don't look like an old geezer driving for miles with the thing on.
Engman
Having just designed an led system for a euro product we are doing - I would be concerned.

I use on the euro mower I just did - 2 led turn signals on each side of the vehicle - each light draws .25A so there is a .5A draw on the flasher unit.

I went with what the lighting company recommended - (Grote Industries). When I go the led flasher relay I wanted to see it work. It did not - after talking with the tech rep there I learned that the flasher unit I got required 1A of draw to work.

I had to go to another led flasher relay that they had just come out with - requires .06A draw. It worked.

Watch your specs -

You should be able to wire it in - just get the correct wires to the correct plug on the flasher relay.

M
jk76.914
QUOTE(Brando @ Jun 24 2006, 01:39 PM) *

I have a question about electric flasher units. I would like to replace my incadescent bulbs/lamps with LEDs, to trim the wattage/amperage usage. I've noticed when my electrical system is under load I get a bit of extra load on my 1.8 as the alternator is working itself to death. Also when using LED lights in place of the incadescent ones, they don't pull enough amperage to trigger my OEM flasher (heat-driven).

Anyhow, does anyone make electrical flasher units? Where can I get one that I might even be able to wire in myself? I have knowledge on electrical systems (diagrams, simple circuits, etc) but nothing as complex as making my own up. Has anyone replaced their OEM flasher unit with an electrical one?

TIA.

I'm curious how you know your electrical system is under load???

Jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.