Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: engine rebuild
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shaggy
im changing out my 72 1.7 for a 73 2.0

i have a rescently rebuilt tailshift tranny

since ill have it seperated and im putting a new clutch in what else should i change?

i cant change to side shift at this point and i dont have the money for a renn shifter

should i change the bushings out?

if so what ones?

-shaggy
gregrobbins
Before reassembly, get your rotating parts balanced. Cams and lifters are cheap and vital, so you may want to look at getting those new. New bushings for the shift linkage are a good idea. Are you doing fuel injection? You may want to get the injectors checked or replace them. I just had my 2.0L rebuilt, so feel free to call with any questions.
shaggy
im going to used the raby cam that will work with stock d-jet

the 9550 i believe...

what would need to be balanced besides the flywheel and the crank?

how much does that cost and does anyone know of a good shop in arizona?

thanks
-shaggy
gregrobbins
What to balance:

Crank, pistons, connecting rods, fly wheel, pressure plate, and cooling fan. Every thing that rotates.

Mine was done by King Balancing in Glendale.
Al Meredith
If you are going to keep the tail shifter then I would replace ALL the shift bushings including the two balls next to the firewall. This is where the shift linkage changes direction and if the BOOT is broken or gone then dirt is in there.
Mark Henry
You will also need to use the '72 engine bar.
Red-Beard
You also should take apart the gear selector in the cabin and replace the 2 bushings and spring in there. See the end of my tranny rebuild article for part numbers. Check for wear in the contact area between the shift rod and the tail shift tail connection. Once you fix all of this, adjust the gear selector using the direction at the end of my tranny rebuild article.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.