Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: my teener runs better than ever
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gustl
As some of you might know, my mechanic abilities are not the best - I'm more the "theoretic guy". Therefore I have an affordable professional mechanic, it's the younger brother of an good old friend. He works for a Hamburger and a Coke, if you know what I mean.
So far so good, but this guy - Daniel - is younger than my teener and so he hardly knows anything about it's technique. I'm not talking about changing oil or valve adjustment, I thought more about things where it would be a benefit to have some experiences with (e.g. rear calipers or mechanic ignition).

So I decided to bring my teener to Rudi's shop this year. This is a friend from the bavarian 914 group (Germany) - for example, he services the "Singer GT", which is unbeaten in historic races in its class for the last couple of years ...
Rudi has about 20 years experience with working on teeners.
I told him my knowledge about the history and some known problems and asked him to check the whole car.
Last week he told me at the phone that there were some significant problems with the suspension setup and the ignition system, but no "expensive problem".

Friday I drove to Rudi's to get my teener back. It was a 2-hours-trip (one direction) and €260, but it was worth every cent and every minute.
The car handles better than ever, especially on twisty roads driving.gif
The engine runs better than ever, no more starting problems or too low rpm in neutral ... I didn't know that a teener can run that good mueba.gif

Now I hope that the weather gets better that I can enjoy more time with my teener

wavey.gif Gustl
VegasRacer
Good news. aktion035.gif Enjoy.
914Sixer
Sweeeeet! It makes driving alot more fun!
davep
Did he detail what he had to do to the car to enhance it?
Gustl
QUOTE(davep @ Jun 25 2006, 03:45 PM) *

Did he detail what he had to do to the car to enhance it?

yes - not sure if I could translate every detail, but the most significant things are:

first of all - my car was lowered at the front by a PO, unfortunately the driver's side was a little lower than the passenger side dry.gif as a result (??) the adjustments (camber, castor & toe-in) were incorrect

one of the tie rods was so rusty that he had to replace it

some of the parts of the ignition distributor had to be replaced (Distributor cup, contact braker point, flyweight & spring and trigger contacts IIRC)

installed new fan belt

re-adjusted all spark plugs

re-welded a broken bracket on my burch exhaust

AKAIR that's the major work he did idea.gif

anyhow - I'm fully satisfied thumb3d.gif

wavey.gif Gustl
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.