Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Offical Chicagoland/NWI/MI/OH BBQ August 5th
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
GaroldShaffer
OK I had another thread about the idea of hosting a BBQ at my place, well this is the Offical thread. This is a open inventation to all club members and their friends. You don't need a 914, running or not to attend. Just come eat & BS with us. smile.gif

Details are:

Saturday August 5th Starts 10:30 am to ???????

We will have food & Water & Ice tea. BYOB if you want something else to drink smile.gif

After we eat and BS we will take a drive through Indiana Dune Sate park and end to Ragtops Car Museum in Michigan City Indiana (Their link) A neat place with some nice cars just off the shore of Lake Michigan. We will drive back to my place for more BSing or ???? If you plan to leave from the museum you can pick up I94 just a few miles (4-5) away to head back. Or if you want to do some shopping the Light House Place Prime outlet mall is just half a block from the museum.

We are easy to find. Just off exit #19 (Portage/ Port of Indiana) on I 94 about 4 miles. Our address is:

Garold & Julie Shaffer
6852 Prairie Run Ave
Portage, IN 46368
219-762-3179

If you plan to attend please post here or send me a PM just so we have an idea of how much food to make. Hope you can make it.

Yahoo Maps LINK

GaroldShaffer
Forgot to say if ya have parts to sell bring them, I will have stuff also .

Yahoo map with Red X marking our house location.

BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
After the move this will be a nice weekend for the wife and me. Any motels close
by Garold? Dave slap.gif
GaroldShaffer
Yes there are. The ones I would recommend, in this order:

1) Comfort Inn
2300 Willowcreek Rd, Portage, IN
- (219) 763-7177

2) Hampton Inn
6353 Melton Rd (aka US 20), Portage, IN
- (219) 764-1919

3) Holiday Inn Express
2323 Willowcreek Rd, Portage, IN
- (219) 762-7777

Stay very far away from all the others, they are DUMPS!!!! Let me know what your plans are. if you come in Friday we would meet with and give you the $1 tour of Portage smile.gif & some chowtime.gif
Flat VW
Is there a 'furthest traveled' award? av-943.gif

John wavey.gif

P.S. That is a fine avatar! slap.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Flat VW @ Jun 26 2006, 12:51 PM) *

Is there a 'furthest traveled' award? av-943.gif

John wavey.gif

P.S. That is a fine avatar! slap.gif

For you John, yes biggrin.gif
Flat VW
smilie_pokal.gif
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
Sounds Like a plan,Garold

Dave slap.gif
BigDBass
If everything goes according to my master plan, Baby D will attend his/her first 914 event at the tender age of 2.5 weeks.

So.. um.. what I mean is I hope I/we can make it.
914forme
Are you anywhere near Grissom Areoplex?

I am planning on coming up there if I can break free on Sunday and run. I need seat time!!!!!!!
GaroldShaffer
Close to Grissom......well we are about 2hrs from there.
GaroldShaffer
icon_bump.gif to page 1 wavey.gif
cnavarro
Tammy and I are planning on attending. My mom will be coming from CA to baby sit so we can have the weekend off :-)
GaroldShaffer
boldblue.gif cool it will be nice to see you both again. Bring baby pictures. wub.gif
Brad Roberts
How are we doing with "people" attending this event?

B
GaroldShaffer
So far the count is 6. I have been slowly going through the members section looking for anyone within a few hours of driving distance to send them a personal invite, but that is a very slow process. Anyway to search the members section to look for where a member is located?
BigDBass
Have the Rockford area people chimed in?
GaroldShaffer
Not yet sad.gif
Brad Roberts
Garold,

I dont know of any easier way to search for the people.

We dont (yet) collect zip codes from people.

Sean may have an email list.

B
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
Garold :
Have you got a hold of Gary Stellmack B.S. chairman of the S.M.O.G. group in Mich. Have him send a anoucment to them. I would but lost address book on my puter during the move. Dave slap.gif
GaroldShaffer
Thanks Dave sent Gary a PM yesterday or the day before.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
Garold:
I just remembered Gary is also selling his house. If he is in the middle of it maybe he is away from his puter. I'll put this out to all S.M.O.G. members with our e-mail address to inform all of this event. How about you Tom Bliz? Dave slap.gif
73Phoenix20
Garold:
The wife and I are still planning on attending, depending on how the health issue progresses.

I will probably see you b4 then, if we can find a time for the PPI on Max.

Talk to you soon!

Lyle
smontanaro
I hope to be there. Still gotta get the okay from the schedule coordinator though...

Skip
ChicagoPete
Garold, I may be in? I have to check with my wife and see if we have anything going on...
bd1308
Garold, if I'm able to come I will come for a while.

How long from Louisville? I'll be bringing my rust free 914 biggrin.gif

b
BigDBass
Britt, you're lookin' at 6 hours or so.
GaroldShaffer
Britt if you come you are welcome to stay the night at our place, but I have to warn you my son LOVES trains so be ready to talk ALOT about trains smile.gif
bd1308
Garold, you might have forgotten that I happen to live with the Premiere expert on Thomas the Tank Engine in Louisville.

Show him a train and he'll tell you who he is, if he's bad or not, and who he pals with

ohmy.gif

b
mudfoot76
Britt, if you are taking I-65 all the way north, let me know. I live just off of exit 130 (Zionsville/IN334) and we could caravan to Garold's.
GaroldShaffer
Julie just reminded me that if yoiu like to gamble the Blue Chip River Boat is just a few blocks away from the museum in Michigan City.

For those planning on attending do you guys like BBQ pork? Julie is starting to make some food plans. We will have other meats also.
smontanaro
Me, I eat just about anything. Don't gamble though...

What can I bring?

Any plans to do any wrenching? My /6 needs its valves and carbs adjusted. biggrin.gif

Skip
GaroldShaffer
Just bring yourself (and SO / friend/??) and mabye a lawn chair. We have everything covered. chowtime.gif beer3.gif
mudfoot76
QUOTE(smontanaro @ Jul 26 2006, 10:18 AM) *

My /6 needs its valves and carbs adjusted. biggrin.gif

Hrm, tech session?? I'd be interested to watch/help with the carb adjustment. Mine still runs really rich...
Joe Ricard
I'm there
smontanaro
What special tools/parts are needed? I assume a valve cover gasket/nut/washer set, a feeler gauge, some oil and oil filter, an STE synchronmeter ("snail") to get airflow on the carbs. My car has uncut turbo valve covers so it will be interesting to see how we can get them off without fully dropping the engine. Gint says we could do it the way I was thinking: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...f=2&t=57244

Anyone with experience cutting the valve covers?

I'll see what I can do about sourcing the necessary parts if folks are game. Am I missing something? Will someone be there who has BTDT and can serve as an expert?

Skip
GaroldShaffer
We are always game smile.gif Could be fun. I have floor jacks & stands, drain pan for oil, oil dry smile.gif , and tools. Bring a feeler guage and synchronmeter.

And if its hot outside that day I just installed AC unit in the garage. Giving it the test this weekend, suppose to be 95 & humid.

Click to view attachment

It's a portable AC unit, its keeping the garage cool(er) if You get to hot there is always the pool biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
gms
Cannot make it this time...may next sad.gif
GaroldShaffer
Here are some directions for those coming.

DO NOT TAKE FIRST SET OF DIRECTIONS THEY CLOSED THe ROAD FOR REPAIR TODAY mad.gif

From I94.

1)Take exit 19 Portage / Port of Indiana. End of exit ramp turn South to first stop light which is Rt 20 (approx 1/8 mile) If you miss this then follow directions as if coming from the toll road starting with step #2

2)Turn left (east) on Rt 20 go to 1 mile to first stop light which will be Samuelson Rd.

3)Turn right (south) on Samuelson Rd go approx 1 mile to 2nd stop sign which will be Central Ave (note you will go under a one lane bridge BEFORE you get to Central Ave)

4)Turn left (east) on Central Ave and go approx 1/8 mile to the Prairie Run subdivision. The entrance is directly across from the funeral home.

We are the 5th house in on your left. You will see my 914 in the drive, please park in the drive I am not worried about oil stains. I will have signs up at Samuelson Rd, Central Ave, and our subdivision entrance that say 914 with arrows showing were to turn. smile.gif

=====================================================

If you are coming via the toll road................

1)Exit the toll road at the Portage exit (exit 23 I think??) At the end of the exit road turn Left (south) on to Willowcreek Rd.

2)Take Willowcreek to first stop light which will be Central Ave.

3)Turn Left (east) on Central Ave you will go through 3 stop lights and two stop signs. The 2nd stop sign will be the intersection of Central Ave and Samuelson Rd.

4)Continue on Central Ave to Prairie Run. The entrance is directly across from the funeral home.

We are the 5th house in on your left. If you get lost or need better directions please call me at 219-762-3179

If you are coming off I94

1) Take the Portage / Port of Indiana exit, exit 19.

2) At the end of the exit ramp turn South (left if coming from the East, right if coming from West)

3) Stay on this road Once you cross the first light (Rt20) you will be on Chrisman Rd.

4) Chrisman will become Willowcreek right at the entrance of the Toll road.

5) From that point follow the directions listed above for those coming from the Toll Road.
ChicagoPete
Garold, I am out, turns out my wife has had plans for us for quite a while...perhaps next time...
smontanaro
Ack! posted this in your car cover thread by mistake first!!!

Garold,

I'm still planning on coming, though it will be sans wife. I'm also thinking I'm not
going to burden folks with the thought of working on my car. I think I'll have the
parts I'll need (though I still haven't had time to track down a valve cover gasket/
nut set locally). There's the drive to the ragtop museum (kinda interesting how
everything in the "museum" is for sale biggrin.gif). Don't want to take time away from
that. There's also the issue of what to do if we open it up and find more than we
bargained for. At least if I do that at home it's my jackstands that get welded
to the bottom of the car... sad.gif

I'll probably scoot up to Michigan from the ragtop place. Ellen will be up in
South Haven.

Will you have your mom's service covers for sale???

Skip
GaroldShaffer
I have one here, so you have first dibs. See ya Saturday.
BigDBass
I'm planning to be there with "the girls" but we'll be in a darned Cherokee.

We debated taking 2 cars but the 914 is back to running poorly (backfiring, no power, etc).

GaroldShaffer
HI everyone. We have 10 x 20 canopy setup in the back yard and also have the AC on in house & garage so come on out nad help us eat all the food Julie ordered and & made chowtime.gif beerchug.gif beer3.gif clap56.gif
smontanaro
Woo hoo! Just getting my last little bits together (like writing down your phone #, searching for some fuses, checking to see if Portage is Central or Eastern time, ...) See y'all after awhile.

Skip
BigDBass
Just got home from a loooong day. We stopped to introduce Madeline to my aunt in Chesterton and my grandma in Hammond. Our first "family outing" and we're bloody tired!

Thanks a ton to Garold and Julie for welcoming us to their home. The food and camaraderie were excellent, as one would expect from the 914 Club!

So now, Jackie says she wants a 912 when it's time for her to get a P-car. But conceded she'd settle for an old 911 since it's faster. biggrin.gif Maddie figures that by her 16th birthday, depreciation will allow her an '07 CaymanS.

So here are some pictures from Garold's place:

4 914s were there. There were many of us there without our cars.Click to view attachment

BigDBass
My covert campaign for new LeMans seats went well. Jackie sat in Julie's seat and said "Wow, this is comfortable, and very supportive!" happy11.gif

I think everyone is familiar with our host's car:
Click to view attachment

I don't know who belongs to this mean green machine, but will edit this if someone tells me
Geoff's lean mean black and green 914:
Click to view attachment
BigDBass
Skip's really nice '70 914-6. Brad Mayeur merely touched his hand to the engine grill and it immediately began to idle better! wink.gif
Click to view attachment

Charles of LN Engineering brought his 912, which my wife really liked:
Click to view attachment

BarberDave's black beauty:
Click to view attachment
BigDBass
Last one. 3 week old Maddie and family at her first 914 event:
Click to view attachment
smontanaro
Hey folks! I had a great time today. Thanks to Garold and Julie for hosting and to Brad for making my /6 run better!

Skip
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.