Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just put spacers on the back
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turboman808
OK so I think I should have got the 1 inch spacers. But I got the 1.5 inch. It just barely rubs so I just yanked on the fenders til it fit.

What does make me nervous though is there is no hub centric ring on the hub. Hopefully as long as I keep an eye on these it should be alright.

Also does moving the wheel out put a dangerous amount of stress on the trailing arm?

OH but man it does look cool!
Andyrew
Tighten them down till the nut is starting to snug, on all of them. and then tighten one half way, go across.. half way... ect ect...

The rear brake rotor doesnt have a ring IIRC...

so theres not much you CAN do about that... It should pull itself in correctly.

Stress on trailing arms? dont worry about it.

Stress on bearings? Yes. Replace them 2x faster than normal.... and most cars are just getting their first replacement.... so... in about 15years would be acceptable I think. (if the bearings are fresh... If not.. I'd replace them for insurance... 100 bucks in insurance..)

Andrew

ya.... I got the same problem..

IPB Image
Sparky
Bearings shouldn't be an issue he has roller bearings that are only a couple of years olds. I helped install them...
SirAndy
QUOTE(Sparky @ Jun 26 2006, 08:29 PM) *

Bearings shouldn't be an issue he has roller bearings that are only a couple of years olds. I helped install them...

i think andrew was talking about the wheel bearings ...
wink.gif Andy
turboman808
QUOTE(Sparky @ Jun 26 2006, 07:29 PM) *

yeah if you would like to come and do more work on my car be my guest biggrin.gif

I ordered steel lug nuts just for the spacers. Figure that will hold better then race lugs could be wrong though.

Also putting this in tomorrow if I get a chance.

Sparky
Flushing is a much farther drive then Danielson is. But if your in the neighborhood... drunk.gif

Wheel bearings confused24.gif Is that what that noise could be?! bootyshake.gif
Andyrew
Ya.. I was talking about wheel bearings.. sorry...

Most "bearings" on 914's in the suspension are the wheel bearings... most people dont have roller...

BTW.. My wheel spacers have different threading for the rears, then again... im usings 2in spacers.. Did you check the threads to make sure there the porsche style?
turboman808
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 26 2006, 07:46 PM) *

Most "bearings" on 914's in the suspension are the wheel bearings... most people dont have roller...

BTW.. My wheel spacers have different threading for the rears, then again... im usings 2in spacers.. Did you check the threads to make sure there the porsche style?

Seem to be the same. Everything fit fine.

I should have 17 inch twist next week. I don't imagine they would come by this friday. Yours are 18? Somehow I imagine I am gonna have to get 4 more spacers to make them fit.
Sparky
So.... what ya doing with those nice powder coated Fuchs?
Andyrew
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Jun 26 2006, 09:21 PM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 26 2006, 07:46 PM) *

Seem to be the same. Everything fit fine.

I should have 17 inch twist next week. I don't imagine they would come by this friday. Yours are 18? Somehow I imagine I am gonna have to get 4 more spacers to make them fit.

Ya.. 17x8.5 with 255 40 17's and 18x10 with 285 35 18 (265 pictured)
1.5 spacer up front, 2.0 spacer on back. I would like to space the back out another 1/8... or 1/4... I love them when there right there against the fender... and I have the longer stubs to do it too.....

IPB Image

fyi.. yes the rims are diff... when I find the 17 turbo twists... then I get some fronts for it..
Mueller
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Jun 26 2006, 08:15 PM) *

OK so I think I should have got the 1 inch spacers. But I got the 1.5 inch. It just barely rubs so I just yanked on the fenders til it fit.

What does make me nervous though is there is no hub centric ring on the hub. Hopefully as long as I keep an eye on these it should be alright.

Also does moving the wheel out put a dangerous amount of stress on the trailing arm?

OH but man it does look cool!

at your next Auto-x, don't be too surprised when the front end plows straight ahead when trying to make a tight corner :drivingAX:

hijacked.gif

Andrew, you need to lower that car...looks like the 4x4 version biggrin.gif

Joe Ricard
I thought that setting the rims out further will cause that end to slide .
So putting spacers on the rear will cause Oversteer
However I have been wrong ALOT lately.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Jun 27 2006, 06:16 AM) *

I thought that setting the rims out further will cause that end to slide .
So putting spacers on the rear will cause Oversteer
However I have been wrong ALOT lately.

more track = more grip, so opposite end will slide....

understeer like a pig
turboman808
Didn't push it real hard this morning but it felt like the rear did roll more. But hey I always got the front sway bar to play with.
Eric_Shea
Andrew, you need to lower that car...looks like the 4x4 version

Raise the front and bring it to Moab w00t.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.