Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cableshifter for the 915 ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
SirAndy
anyone got a working setup of a cableshifter in a 914 using a 915 transmission?

if so, can you please post specs and pics ...

i'm highly interested ...
beerchug.gif Andy
Britain Smith
What is wrong with the best solution out there...WEVO?

-Britain
SirAndy
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Jun 27 2006, 11:37 AM) *

What is wrong with the best solution out there...WEVO?

something you wouldn't know anything about ...

it's called "personal preference"!
biggrin.gif Andy

PS: why build a turbo T4 for your 912? what's wrong with the best solution out there ... a porsche 3.6L six?
rolleyes.gif
SirAndy
icon_bump.gif
East coaster
oooh.....I've been waiting for this; did you try "search"?? alfred.gif

Sorry - couldn't resist!
Brad Roberts
Andy,

call Renegade Hybrids and see if they still sell a solution. I doubt seriously you are going to find anyone outside of Renegade selling a cable solution.

Patrick Motorsports and Renegade sell the same setup from Cunningham.

You can fab your own, but I wouldnt do it with a fresh box.

B
Brad Roberts
ha aa ahhha!!

alfred.gif

Nice one. Smack down!

B
Aaron Cox
i think "drive-ability" started with a renegade box and then went to an import shifter? mitsu or toyota iirc
SirAndy
QUOTE(East coaster @ Jun 27 2006, 02:09 PM) *

did you try "search"??

yes. i did. couldn't find any pics of a working setup. that's when i posted my post.

so, you got a link to a post with pics of a working install?
cool.gif Andy
TonyAKAVW
Here's a picture of a cable shifter, though I think that transmission says 930, but I don't know.

Anyway, this was on a silver 914 that showed up at one of Joe Sharp's BBQs. It was the one with the raked windshield, nascar V8 engine, etc.

-Tony
Brad Roberts
Does that tell you anything Andy? LOL

I only know of .. well.. nobody running a cable setup on their 915.

I'm willing to bet all the racers with 915's have gone to WEVO.

The above picture is a 930 box.

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jun 27 2006, 02:35 PM) *

Does that tell you anything Andy?

yes ... that was the purpose of my post. to see if there was anything out there ...

bye1.gif Andy
Brad Roberts
I seriously cannot think of anyone in the USA running the cable shift setup on a 915.

We had one guy from Germany post asking questions about his cable shifted 915, but I didnt see any decent pics from him.

Obviously I dont know everyone, but I have a good grasp on most of the people running a 915 in their 914.

B
nocones
Andy,

I'm too poor to get the Wevo setup right now, and my current mechanical linkage isn't very good (Rod Simpson).

I am seriously considering creating a cable-shift solution for my car in the near future. I spoke with Scott at Renegades lately and I think he said his cable setup was ~$800.
Bolstered by seeing the recent cable projects (901 & 930) by others here on the club I believe that I can make something for less than that.
If you'd like to brainstorm and work jointly on a solution I'm willing to give it a shot.

Brad Roberts
There you go!

B
mightyohm
You guys might want to talk to bondo and see if you can talk him into developing one with you.
nocones
QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Jun 27 2006, 03:28 PM) *

You guys might want to talk to bondo and see if you can talk him into developing one with you.

Bondo did such an impressive job on his!
If I recall he said there wasn't much chance of him having the time to work on such a setup for the 915. (Bill P. and I both asked)
SirAndy
QUOTE(nocones @ Jun 27 2006, 03:11 PM) *

If you'd like to brainstorm and work jointly on a solution I'm willing to give it a shot.

smilie_pokal.gif

yes, sir!

piratenanner.gif Andy
nocones
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 27 2006, 03:58 PM) *

QUOTE(nocones @ Jun 27 2006, 03:11 PM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

yes, sir!

piratenanner.gif Andy

I've been meaning to wander down the street to pick n' pull and have a look around for a suitable shifter to start with. It sounds like the McMaster-Carr cables are reasonably priced and the rest could be fabbed without too much trouble I think.
I've got a friend with Solid Works and access to a machine shop so I was thinking of hitting him up to help in designing/building the parts for the attachment to the trans.
Andyrew
I'd like to help as much as possible as well!

915 cable shift wanabee's club!!!!

Andrew
SirAndy
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 27 2006, 04:05 PM) *

915 cable shift wanabee's club!!!!

w00t.gif

i still have to pick up the 915 from bill, so right now i'm probably not much help until i actually get my hands on that puppy ...
smash.gif Andy
nocones
Just found what I was looking for...
Here is the photo Scott sent me of his Renegades cable-shift kit.

And thanks Andyrew, us cable-shift wanna-bes gotsta stick together. biggrin.gif
East coaster
One of the slickest I've seen recently was from "wbergtho", but I'll be damned if I can find his thread/pics for you. I know they were posted at one time.
Brad Roberts
Interesting. They are changing the direction of the "front 2 back" cable.

I think we talked about the Boxster/996 shifter already having the correct "direction".

B
wbergtho
Click to view attachment
I built my own cable shift version to shift my 930. A 915 shifts about the same as a 930 (similar design). I am absolutely sure if I went back to a 915, my system would work as well as it currently does. Here are a few pics I took before I prettied evrything up and had it all powder coated.

*McMaster-Carr 5/16" cables (84" & 96")
* Mitzubishi 3000 GT shifter (modified to place the fore/aft rod end attachment point above the pivot point of the shifter...to eliminate the need for more "monkey motion" levers, etc.)
* Custom made trans mount
* Splined drive shaft from a Geo Tracker & splined hub
* A cage bracket to limit the side to side hub/lever
* Time & patience

Regards, beerchug.gif

Bill
Andyrew
Nice design! Works for me!!
jim912928
I'd be in for a kit...i've got my 915 sitting on the side...currently debating what to do!
Brad Roberts
Bill,

did you drill/tap the shift selector sleave for a cone screw? so it would enter the recess in the stock shift selector rod?

Or did you cut it off and just use a "jam" screw?

I see you played aorund with the amount of movement needed for the "side to side" motion.

Combine this and the WEVO gateshift and I bet it would be pretty solid.

Did you take a look at how the Boxsters do it? They have counterweights on the linkage to make it "feel" correct and to assist with the gear change.

Pretty slick clap56.gif

B
wbergtho
Hi Brad,

I took a stock cone screw and tapered the "cone" section more so it would bury itself low enough to keep from binding. I have not looked at a Boxster shifter in the flesh but have seen a few pics on this site. The counter balance design sounds interesting. I just may do further investigating on the Boxster shifter as an upgrade to what I have. My shifter is decent...but could be upgraded to one that is of higher quality (less slop...better feel). Most anyone could jump right in my car and never miss a shift or have any difficulties finding all gears...but it can always get better. I just wish the 915 & 930 gearboxes shifted better & faster. I guess we're stuck with 70's technology here.

Bill
kdfoust
I'm plowing the same field Andy. I found this over at Patrick Motorsports. Looks like some kind of a cable shift. I can't find any pictures of what PMS is doing at the tranny end.
Click to view attachment

It looks like this race car for sale is using the PMS cable shift. There's a tranny pic here but the linkage doesn't make any sense to me sense to me. I'm not familar with the 915 setup yet.

Regards,
Kevin

Andyrew
The rod sticking out the end of the trani goes in and out. and twists as well. which selects the gears.

There are two cables on that trani, One pushes and pulls on the rod for in and out.
One comes from under and twists the lever left to right.

IPB Image

Andrew
McMark
Hmmmm..... with a shifter mounted on top of the center tunnel, you could probably run the oil lines inside the tunnel. idea.gif

The 996/986 shifter looks really nice. I think we could cobble something together. biggrin.gif Then the issue is mounting the tranny in the car. The WEVO gives you stock ears to mount it, which is really clean. The whole cradle mount doesn't taste very good to me.
yeti
Hello.
Well I just saw the thread smile.gif . Well I might be the one guy in Germany who run a 915 Gearbox with the cable shift system. I have the gearbox done by powerhouse and they also recommend the cable shift system. It is the same than from Patrick I gues. It should shift better and faster and it is still the cheaper version. I had (that is a long story - asked if you are interested) and have (still) some problems with the whole modification. I.e. how to fix the mechanical speedo cable to the gearbox. I posted this here - thanks, I might have even a simpler solution for this problem.
The gearbox is longer than the 901 and space for a "TÜV" exhaust system is pretty rare. Well I have no idea what you guys in USA are doing with the exhaust system with the 915 gearbox biggrin.gif .
I made something that might work for the first but I will get a stainless version and heat exchangers in the winter time. The car still does not run - hope I will fix it this week. I got the wrong permatune mad.gif . So there was plenty of changes on the car, but it looks pretty original and that was my goal. Since the car still does not run, I just want to use it now and fine tune it in the winter time.
The cable shift system looked pretty ugly if naked. I had no idea - when ordereing. I used a silver aluminium block to adjust it to the correct height and then fabricated a custon console to hide all the cables. I will add a few pics so that you have a look at it.

Yeti
yeti
yeti
yeti
yeti
yeti
And the last one with the final console. Look at my gauges. Man I will be very happy to look at them ( you do not see the 300km/h speedo). I will use a nice Momo Prototipo covered in suede and make a custon sport seats (out from the original one - but this is a project for next winter).

Well a lot of problems come with the 915 gearbox. If I could choose again I would kept the 901 with a nice 2.5 sport engine that runs up to 8k UPM. But it is a very strong gearbox that could handle a lot of torque and that is the reason why I've choosen that. I have shift the gearbox a little and it was a bit heavy but a nice feel. It should be much more easier since the engine run and the system is used a bit more. I let a hole in the middle of the shifter so you can see the nice mechanical stuff.

Yeti
sharper
Here is what mine looks like. It is from a Boxster.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
jim912928
Sharper...can you detail out your work? Did you use the Boxster shifter in the passenger compartment? How much fab work? Can you post more pics of the inside and backside?
sharper
QUOTE(jim912928 @ Jun 28 2006, 02:33 PM) *

Sharper...can you detail out your work? Did you use the Boxster shifter in the passenger compartment? How much fab work? Can you post more pics of the inside and backside?

Afraid I'm not much help here as I didn't do it. The guy I purchased this car from is the one who did it all. I can take whatever pictures you like though. Let me know what to key in on and I'd be happy to send them to you. It is a Boxster shifter in the passenger compartment mounted on top of the tunnel.
byndbad914
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jun 27 2006, 05:12 PM) *

Interesting. They are changing the direction of the "front 2 back" cable.

I think we talked about the Boxster/996 shifter already having the correct "direction".

B

The Boxster/996 tower requires the direction to be reversed as well Brad. Actually that pic of Scott's new shifter setup doesn't look all that bad now. I have no experience with it, but I can assure you the PMS/old Renegade/Cunningham shifter is a complete POS as far as I am concerned.

Andy, if you have a buddy with a machine shop and solid works that is willing to help you, have him look at the car and come up with some ideas. Always good to pick the brain of someone that makes stuff for a living. I bought the Boxster tower and cables from a Porsche wrecker in the valley for $300. I ended up not using the cables as the McMaster-Carr stuff was longer and easier for me to work with. So, I would suggest trying to sources a tower only. I see that Sharper uses a rocker arm setup for the left-right selection and was able to use the shorter Boxster cables - though I hate the ends they come with. Rod ends are much nicer to work with IMO.

If you think you like the late model tower idea... suggestions to work from:

The tower isn't gated in any way, so that shifter can flop around like a wet noodle when not attached to anything. So whether you build a cable setup for a 915 or 930, they would be identical as the trans will drive the motion at the shifter. Hmm, not clear - what I mean is it doesn't matter where R is, or where 1st is, the end assembly will be identical between the 915/930.

You will need to make a bracket that you bolt to the back of the tower to mount the cable ends into. Use 5/16" cables as the quick-disconnect in that size is a perfect fit for the ball on the end of the shifter. You can drill and just screw into the plastic arm of the other one with a 5/16" fine-thread bolt.

At the rear, you will need a to make brackets to mount which shouldn't be an issue for a machinist. Either at the tower or at the rear, you need to reverse the fore-aft motion or the H-pattern would be upside down.

If you get a shifter for say $150, you could have the whole thing built (assuming friend's labor is free so just paying for cables, ends and metal) for $500 tops. Here are some photos of some of my stuff I made. I am going to build an even slicker "reversing" arm for the tube car that will be fully adjustable to set the shift pattern perfectly to what I like. 930s (and 915s IIRC) are notchy bastardos.

Shifter in car - notice my aluminum L-channel off the back to attach McM-C cables
Click to view attachment

And the parts I drew up in ProE to work from - these mount to the trans output shaft with the stock 8mm taper pin. Just suggestion - feel free to make up your own ideas working with your buddy. I use a 1/2" stud to "guide" that long "orange" arm fore-aft and stop it from pivoting loosely. You gotta see it in real life or really look at your own car to probably get what it going on.

My car shifted AWESOME. Notchy as f@#k, but that is the 930. I NEVER missed a shift or found myself wondering where 2nd gear was with this setup. And I could tune the exact pattern I like unlike all those other prefab deal-eos.
Click to view attachment

That is just for reference. The yellow arm and silver extension are no more (I had to add a spacer and arm so the two cables wouldn't bind - my new design won't have that).

Shitty but hopefully helpful shot at the rear while under construction.
Click to view attachment
Andyrew
File\
Save as:

Cool stuff!!

byndbad914
so I have a moment to add some more - this is going to be my new reversing arm out of aluminum. The slot and hole at the ends is 5/16" to match the rod ends. The end with the hole will mount to the trans adapter "orange" arm via rod ends screwed together (1 male and 1 female). The slotted end is where the cable will interface "single shear". The max outward distance makes a 1:1 ratio between cable motion and trans motion. That makes a pretty long throw at the shifter handle, so I can slide it inboard to tighten up the ratio (and therefore the fore/aft throw at the shifter) until I like how it feels.
Click to view attachment

the big hole in the center has a little sealed bearing that will slip into it that I bought from McMaster-Carr for $5-$7 IIRC that has a 5/16" ID. Looks like this more or less - the little flange is perfect for the overall design.
Click to view attachment

That slips over a shock hinge mount similar to this I lifted from this site - also from McM-C, but has a 5/16" "post" with a nice groove and snap retainer that fits the bearing perfectly instead of the ball ends. The part I bought was also about $5 and I hope the little post doesn't snap off. If it does, no biggie, I will just make a plate and 5/16" stud to do the same damn thing, but for $5 was better than fabbing no matter how simple the fab work wink.gif
Click to view attachment

BTW everyone - get a McMaster-Carr book. It is about 4" thick and has every part known to man in it. I literally get an idea of what I want to build, pull out the Mc-C book and look up pieces to build around. I have spent hours just mulling thru this thing - sick I know.
marlinaness
Just joined yesterday. Over the winter I built a cable shifter for my Porschevarri using an 86 915 with LSD tied to a 400 hp chevy v8 in an Eagle GT body sitting on a 73 reinforced 914 (probably one of the first Renegade kits built in 1982 or so). I bought it from Bill B of Wisconsin who swapped it for a 930.

I converted from an older 915 that shifted out of the bottom rather than the end.

I had to weld a new rear mounting bracket, used two Mcmaster 80" cables and a Honda Accord shifter. It works very well and cost about $250. Unfortunately, my first setup I had on the wrong side and it was reversed, so I added a longer bolt. Works very easy, no play at all. I will try to get pictures over the weekend. It is significantly better than the older version.

Nevertheless, I wished I would have known about this forum and seen the info here.
Andyrew
Welcome!!!!!!

Post pics!!!
wbergtho
Hey Marlin,

I got your e-mail. I'd like to see pics of your shifter set up.

Bill B
SirAndy
QUOTE(yeti @ Jun 28 2006, 09:22 AM) *

I will add a few pics so that you have a look at it.

hey Yeti,
vielen dank für die bilder und information! smilie_pokal.gif

da werde ich wohl probleme mit meinem 911er auspuff haben ... sad.gif

gruß aus dem sonnigen kalifornien,
bye1.gif Andy
SirAndy
hey guys, any chance one could use the stock 911 banana muffler with any of these solutions?

idea.gif Andy
andys
Here's a company that catalogs a 914 cable shifter. No photo's on the site however.

http://www.brandwoodcarsllc.com/mofcart/p914.html

Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.