Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need help with my Shifter/Clutch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brokenmoped
Recently I've been having trouble with my shifter, or perhaps my clutch. Here's what happens: while I'm driving on the freeway (the only time I'm in fifth gear for long periods of time), cruising at about 70mph (about 3500rpms) the shifter pops out of fifth and into neutral. I've also noticed that when I'm hard on the throttle, the shifter itself physically moves a few centimeters towards neutral, sometimes popping out of gear. It doesn't do this for any other gears and I'm certain the clutch has been replaced ~20k miles ago. Here's another thing...I have a Weltmeister short shift kit that the PO installed.

Up until recently (last 3 days or so) shifting has been fine and without any problems whatsoever (I make it a point to never misshift). So am I looking at a slipping clutch or is it my shifter that is on the fritz?

Thanks,

Corey
john rogers
Sounds like broken engine and/or trans mounts to me.
So.Cal.914
Rubber mounts will allow the engine/trans to move a bit, your shift rod and

and shifter is attached to them. When mounts are old sometimes they allow to

much movement and you will see it in the shifter. Two things I can think of

could cause it to pop out of gear, first adjust your shift rod. Shifting into 3rd and

5th to hard can cause miss adjustment. Second it could be warn dog teeth on

the gear it self, not retaining the synchro ring enough, keeping the gears from

mating like they should.
brokenmoped
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Jun 28 2006, 11:37 PM) *

Rubber mounts will allow the engine/trans to move a bit, your shift rod and

and shifter is attached to them. When mounts are old sometimes they allow to

much movement and you will see it in the shifter. Two things I can think of

could cause it to pop out of gear, first adjust your shift rod. Shifting into 3rd and

5th to hard can cause miss adjustment. Second it could be warn dog teeth on

the gear it self, not retaining the synchro ring enough, keeping the gears from

mating like they should.

What kind of mounts should I get to replace the rubber ones?
Brad Roberts
Stock front engine mounts are fine.

If the tranny mounts are broken: buy the standard issue 911 engine sport mounts. They semi bolt into the 914 tranny location.

Your synchro's could be bad in 5th also. Typically they will cause an issue when you lift throttle.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.