Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gt bezel update
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RON S.
Guys,

Today here at work,(where else to spend company paid time working on a teener project)I think I have finalized the design of the Door bezels,and solved the issue of the tabs being welded and looking cosmetically acceptable.

Attached are 3 pics,and I left then as large as can be posted,of how things are coming along.

bezel on the left was done this morning,the tabs are SPOT WELDED,not mig'd or tig'd.The one on the right is the last one I made yesterday.

Tonight,I'm gonna go home and do the bend test on the tabs,if the DON'T break of,I think we'll have a winner.

The third piece in the pic,is a piece I made,that I think needs to go on the back side of the door panel,which the tabs'll go thru,and form around.A little extra security.

I've lasered enough pcs.today to do about 15-20 doors.So,I'm off work tomorrow and probably all weekend I'll be hammering on these little bezels.

Hopefully by next weekend,cross my fingers,I'll have some pieces to carry to my powder coating guy.

Hope you enjoy,

Ron
RON S.
pic #2
RON S.
Pic#3
thesey914
Where does this bezel fit on the door?
North Bay 914
4 please.

Martin
eric914
I would love a set as well.
Jeroen
clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif
smdubovsky
Way to go! I'll take a pair. Unpainted and unwelded if it makes it simpler/cheaper for you;)

Thanks!
SMD
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(thesey914 @ Jun 29 2006, 04:07 PM) *

Where does this bezel fit on the door?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=54803
JPB
As the unanimously nominated chairman of the Purist Minimalist branch, according to myself, I present you with TWO GOLD STARS for a great idea, perfect symplicity and unmatched quality! Congratulations and feel free to flaunt your achievement and awards! To all I say, purchase and improve on a poorly designed cardboard set of original arm rests.

:trophy:You shoukld sell all the parts as a kit brother. Ya know for a full conversion. Yaaaaaa
RoadGlue
Here's are some Porsche factory GT panel bezels:

IPB Image

and

IPB Image

Cheers, driving.gif
JPB
Brother if you want excellence, I'd go with a full stainless steel set up tig welded to perfection. I think they would all be knocking at your door. The Porsche part looks kinda cheap and am amazed at the lack of quality.

RoadGlue
QUOTE(JPB @ Jul 1 2006, 05:15 PM) *

Brother if you want excellence, I'd go with a full stainless steel set up tig welded to perfection. I think they would all be knocking at your door. The Porsche part looks kinda cheap and am amazed at the lack of quality.

These were built for racing, and not for impressing your sweetheart. I'd say that stainless would be at least a 1/2 OZ heavier too! tongue.gif
redshift
Awesome!

M
North Bay 914
I agree, make them authentic. Thats what I want. 4 please.

Martin
redshift
Looks like you need a headrest, a backpad, and some carpet too..

You gettin' all this Ron?

laugh.gif

M
North Bay 914
QUOTE(redshift @ Jul 1 2006, 05:44 PM) *

Looks like you need a headrest, a backpad, and some carpet too..

You gettin' all this Ron?

laugh.gif

M

ALL luxury items...
redshift
Oh... make 'em in fur then.

tongue.gif

wink.gif

M
Jeroen
Martin, is that your car?
Qarl
I'll take 2 sets.
North Bay 914
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Jul 2 2006, 06:36 PM) *

Martin, is that your car?

This my "goal" shot, the inside of the second SONAUTO GT, #121. You'll find it on Armandos site.
Qarl
Another approach that someone may want to take with this is to fashin one out of plastic with little flexible slotted prongs that poke through and grab the back side of the door board.

Once one is made, then someone can make a mold and they can be duped fairly quickly.

Just an idea...

Eric_Shea
Further Update:

Ron sent a pair for evaluation. As we now start to move forward on the door handle group buy, I thought this would be a good time to discuss the outcome of the evaluation.

Here's the pieces as they arrived. The plan is to go through them as any of you would have to and give you the plan before you get them in your grubby little mits.
Eric_Shea
I spent a little time with some 300 grit paper cleaning up some of the hand machining marks. Remember gang, these are hand made replicas of the hand made originals. IMHO, Ron did a fantastic job. They will need a small amount of prep before either painting or powder coating. I elected to go the powder coating route and I suggest you do the same.

Here are the pieces after a bit of hand sanding and cleaning up... not much is needed.
Eric_Shea
Next, I met up with our local powdercoating genius, Mr. Jim Buchanan (aka Stratplayer). Jim finished them off to perfection with a nice coat of satin black.

Here's the end result. I think this is an excellent reproduction that on the surface would fool most any judge out there, after all, there's only a handful of GT experts that I know of and if I know them, they'll probably be ordering a set for their clones wink.gif
Aaron Cox
send some my way eric LOL
Jeroen
those turned out real nice
have you set a price yet?
greg.treadway
Count me in for a set also, please. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.