Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 parts car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BK911
So I have a '74 911 parts car that I hope to eventually start parting out. But I don't want t sell anything that I could use myself. I've been going back and forth about a 5-lug conversion and a -6 conversion. For arguement sake, pretend I am going to do both. What parts should I keep from the 911? For instance, can I use the oil tank? What about the half shafts? I thought I read a post where somebody used the stock 911 hubs, stub axle, half shafts and tranny flange and it bolted right up with a spacer. I just don't want to sell something that I may eventually need. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
BK
grasshopper
no, the oil tank will not work. Keep the wheels. You can take the whole front suspension off (I mean everything) and just bolt it right up to your 914. Keep you MC if it is any good. No, the half shafts will not just bolt up. Keep the engine and tranny....rear brakes. That is all I can think of right now.
GeorgeRud
Keep all the engine, trans, shift linkage, guages, brakes, halfshafts and anything else you may think of. The amount of things that come up later, depending how far you want to take your 914 conversions, will make you want to keep all these parts. Back then, Porsche made an awful lot of these parts bolt on between models.

I ended up with a Carrera front end, turbotrol oil cooler, 915 transmission, 2.7 engine, and still could have done more. I've had the CIS system sitting in a box for years, but am now thinking of using it to convert to the Bitz Racing EFI system instead of carbs. You never know!
grasshopper
why shift linkage?? and why keep the oil temp/pressure and oil level/gas level and clock gauges?? You cant use those unless you get a getty design dash, which I'm doing. The only gauges you would need to keep would be the tach and speedo.
lapuwali
Actually, the oil temp/pressure gauge will fit in the 914 combo gauge slot, and you can put a VDO fuel gauge that works with the stock sender (VW style) in the console or elsewhere on the dash.

grasshopper
hhmm..I've never seen that done before... That is a great Idea!
Eric_Shea
Which parts are compatible with 914?

None. The 911 is a "real" Porsche. hide.gif
grasshopper
You have joined the NARP association.
cbenitah
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 30 2006, 09:05 PM) *

Which parts are compatible with 914?

None. The 911 is a "real" Porsche. hide.gif

agree.gif

av-943.gif
BK911
Thanks for the help. It looks like I am keeping quite a bit from the car. I'm pretty sure I remember reading a post where somebody used the 911 halfshafts with a spacer. I went through 18 pages during a search and couldn't find it. If anybody knows what I am talking about, please advise!

Thanks,
BK
JPB
Do I see a sawzall-smiley.gif party just around the bend?
Eric_Shea
Seriously... I'd keep:

Wheels & Tires
Front Suspension
Engine
Tranny
Axles & Shafts
Rear Handbrake Assembly
Rear Hubs & Stub Axle
All Gauges
Tool Kit
Muffler (if it's the old style)

There's probably more...
type47
hood badge laugh.gif
BK911
Excellent, thanks again. Definitely a sawzall party coming up. I bought this car for sheet metal for another project. Once I take all the good stuff off of it, sawzall-smiley.gif

As far as the hood badge, I already gave it to a friend. I like what she's done with it:

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.